• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    beg pardon, I don't know why I thought that
    2 weeks of SMP seemed to go in a flash......

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
      I've looked it up in my Radio Times archive and was surprised to discover that his first day appears to have been 12/09/1988.

<<I've looked it up in my Radio Times archive and was surprised to discover that his first day appears to have been 12/09/1988>>

Do you mean 1998 by any chance. While I can't be entirely sure of the precise date I do know that Andrew was doing a short-lived inflight show for me ('The Opera Show'). Anyway, there was a slightly awkward occasion when Andrew interviewed a contributor I had booked to review a new biography. Awkward, because Andrew had only just heard he had got the CD Review gig but was still to sworn to secrecy and the person he was interviewing was the one whose job he'd just bagged.

I'm fairly certain that was in 98/99. That was also the point at which it went from being 'Record Review' to 'CD Review'.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

I'm fairly certain that was in 98/99. That was also the point at which it went from being 'Record Review' to 'CD Review'.
        Yes, 12/9/1998 is marked as a New Series with a new presenter.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Anyway, there was a slightly awkward occasion when Andrew interviewed a contributor I had booked to review a new biography. Awkward, because Andrew had only just heard he had got the CD Review gig but was still to sworn to secrecy and the person he was interviewing was the one whose job he'd just bagged.
          Would that be the Karajan biography - that was from 1998?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Andrew Slater
            • Mar 2007

<<I've looked it up in my Radio Times archive and was surprised to discover that his first day appears to have been 12/09/1988>>

Do you mean 1998 by any chance.
            Yes, sorry - a typo, now corrected!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

After a remove of sixteen years I'm sure there's no harm in revealing that the contributor alluded to was Anthony Burton and he was reviewing Dame Joan Sutherland's autobiography which he justifiably described as the deadliest of reads.

Now at the risk of repeating myself, but for the benefit of newer members, here are two animated sketches I produced when the Breakfast Show first got its Classic FM tendencies. As they'd say on The Two Ronnies, in the first sketch 'Penny Gore' is interviewed by Paxo about her worries of where the channel is heading. Meanwhile, in the second, 'Rob Cowan' is given full right of a reply - and a comedy accent, silly moustache and sunglasses ...

When Penny Met Jez:

Rob C Replies

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Thanks for posting those, SHB;

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  Nothing to do with Downton - that was a charity gig she did for Mastermind.

As Wiki puts it:

So she is clearly intelligent and talented.
                  No. All it means is she attended the Royal C of M. So did Taverner and Rutter. Do I need tosay more!

Comment

• HARRIET HAVARD

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    she was probably tweeting - you don't think she listens to the show do you ?

Surely no one thinks CBH listens to the music she plays do they. More One Direction, I would have thought..when she is not listening to herself, that is.

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by HARRIET HAVARD View Post
                      No. All it means is she attended the Royal C of M. So did Taverner and Rutter. Do I need tosay more!
                      I never knew that the RCM was that old.

Sorry, I am being mean but I think we should separate what a presenter does/did on the programme from what s/he is/must be like as a person. On this Forum at least.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                        I think we should separate what a presenter does/did on the programme from what s/he is/must be like as a person. On this Forum at least.
                        Yes. Please. Presenters divide the members here as strongly as the Guardian and the Daily Mail

It's better if criticism - and praise - is limited to specific facts, I think.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Yes. Please. Presenters divide the members here as strongly as the Guardian and the Daily Mail
                          Or indeed Breakfast

I agree about personal comments about individual presenters, though.

OG

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

PR guff, presenting opinions as facts, is surely fair game?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HARRIET HAVARD View Post
                              First the good news. Sarah M-P is leaving Breakfast ( unless, of course, you are a fan of The Choir- because that is where she is going). And now the bad news. Clemency BH is to replace her. Pet Rock, M-P, Burton Hill! And all over the network. Seems the invasion of the Philisines is now complete.
                              HH seems to be no great lover of female presenters or is it young female presenters? But as Mercia and ff pointed out at the time this does seem a bit OTT.

A couple of thoughts - why generally do female presenters generate an disproportionate amount of adverse comment hereabouts?

And is it fair to attack any R3 presenter when no one seems sure if they are acting as they would really wish to or following the party/RW line?

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                ...why generally do female presenters generate a disproportionate amount of adverse comment hereabouts?
                                Have you seen the sort of things they say on The Chor about female precentors?

Comment

Working...
                                X