X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Forget about college and university degrees: knowledge comes with pursuing an enthusiasm enthusiastically - for the longer the better. And being at least 55 .

All in my opinion, I should add.
    Oh no. Still wet behind the ears at that age. You need at least another seven years.

(All IMHO, of course!)

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      Oh no. Still wet behind the ears at that age. You need at least another seven years.

(All IMHO, of course!)

phew, 11 years to get sorted , until i have to stop asking daft questions.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

(All IMHO, of course!)
        I was going to say 9 or 10

My guess is that it's like a French degree where graduates have studied the handful of literary texts on the syllabus, and that's the extent of their knowledge of French literature.
        Exactly the difference between lab-trained zoology graduates, and field naturalists

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          I was going to say 9 or 10

Exactly the difference between lab-trained zoology graduates, and field naturalists

Oh, I thought the difference was that you have to keep your Lab coat on.

I'll get mine...........
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            [/B]

Oh, I thought the difference was that you have to keep your Lab coat on.

I'll get mine...........
            No - it's a case of, they wouldn't know a dormouse if it bit them in the leg

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

I'm not sure we can expect SMP to "pursue an enthusiasm" for Magnard, along with hundreds of other composers - it doesn't sound practical

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

I'm pretty glad I don't have a music degree, being without ones allows you to explore as wide a range as possible and in your own time. I knew Magnard's 4th when I was in my 20's. since it is one of the more impressive French symphonies, and the I have the impression that the Dear Leader is a pit of Francophile as far as music is concerned, I'm surprised how little we hear of this composer under the present regime.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  the Dear Leader is a pit
                  How very singular of you, Suffy

(Having a Music degree doesn't stop anyone from exploring a wide range of Musics, by the way. )
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    (Having a Music degree doesn't stop anyone from exploring a wide range of Musics, by the way. )
                    Not having one doesn't either

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

Another freudian slip, must be something about Breakfast on 3 and pits

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        I'm not sure we can expect SMP to "pursue an enthusiasm" for Magnard, along with hundreds of other composers - it doesn't sound practical
                        Pursuing an enthusiasm for a wide range of repertoire should ensure that one discovers Magnard - at least to the point of having heard of him. And there are very picturesque anecdotes to purvey to listeners about Magnard, a very gallant gentleman - just as good as Bach galloping from Ghent to Aix with the good news.

Ferney, I agree, you can't turn the proposition on its head and still expect it to be true ...
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          Not having one doesn't either
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                            I'm pretty glad I don't have a music degree, being without ones allows you to explore as wide a range as possible and in your own time. ......
                            Makes two of us

Comment

• Domeyhead

I'll confess to not having heard of Magnard either, and was pleased and surprised to become acquainted with him, albeit via the awful phone in slot.

Comment

• Don Petter

My very first CD purchase in the '80s was the Accord 5CD set of the Magnard chamber works - or at least, it should have been. When I got it home the box proved to have none of the discs inside! (Was it a dummy for a shop window display, I wonder.)

The independent shop (remember those?) rapidly got me a replacement set, which still gives much pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                                X