X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    If you did, you'd probably catch up with a few of BBM's chosen titbits!

Fortunately I pedal off after the 9 o'clock transition into some sort of adult programming...

The attempts to grapple with Petroc's Sugar Puffs are prompted simply by a desire to have a bit of music around during the morning routine. Switching to a recorded TTN (or this month, the Heffer Saturday afternoon prog) is an easy alternative.
    Well , don't we all.
    But well meant advice, I'm sure !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Well , don't we all.
      But well meant advice, I'm sure !
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Well, bouquets as well as brickbats. Fair play to SM-P this morning. A caller complained how little Delius was played and asked SM-P to play "anything" by Delius. Expecting the inevitable La Calinda or First Cuckoo how delightful to hear Susan Britton's magical evocation of A Late Lark.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Do R3 presenters have any training in presentation and enunciation? This morning, SM-P played the waltz from Shos' 2nd jazz suite for Jazz Band but gabbled out the title such that Lady V thought it was a "sarabande" and expressed surprise at this unknown neo-classical expression of S's sensibility!

Comment

• AndyJW
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Do R3 presenters have any training in presentation and enunciation? This morning, SM-P played the waltz from Shos' 2nd jazz suite for Jazz Band but gabbled out the title such that Lady V thought it was a "sarabande" and expressed surprise at this unknown neo-classical expression of S's sensibility!
            They should have training in the use of silence! I heard a bit of "the show" this morning and we heard (in my opinion) the iconic recording by Dame Myra Hess of JSB's 'Jesu Joy' and without any space at the finish it ran into some marimba music! Dreadful! And also SMP dosn't give the poor news readers a chance to finish, coming in with the weather. Why can't the news readers give the weather as well? I'm being Mr Grumpy!!!! Andy

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
              They should have training in the use of silence! I heard a bit of "the show" this morning and we heard (in my opinion) the iconic recording by Dame Myra Hess of JSB's 'Jesu Joy' and without any space at the finish it ran into some marimba music! Dreadful!
              I confess to not understanding the rationale behind musical selections. The idea of having sopranos warbling raucously, or Wagnerian overtures blaring at 6:45 a.m. is not my idea of a gentle introduction to the day. Tis the musical equivalent of cold showers.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I believe there's some weird convoluted reason why the newsreader doesn't tell us the weather, but I've forgotten what it is

Comment

• AndyJW
                  • Jan 2011

Totally agree

Comment

• AndyJW
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    I believe there's some weird convoluted reason why the newsreader doesn't tell us the weather, but I've forgotten what it is
                    I'd love to know! Is it a union thing?

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

There was a spell a while back when SMP did the news and the weather and then the readers returned....

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        I confess to not understanding the rationale behind musical selections. The idea of having sopranos warbling raucously, or Wagnerian overtures blaring at 6:45 a.m. is not my idea of a gentle introduction to the day. Tis the musical equivalent of cold showers.
                        Even as a woman I can't stand shrill sopranos or straining tenors [for the high notes ] in the morning.

Piano solo or chamber music is my choice, to ease me into the day. I'm afraid I usually switch to CFM or R4,or OFF.

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

I'd love to know! Is it a union thing?
                          possibly - I have a feeling it somehow saves them a bit of money doing it this way -

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            I can't stand shrill sopranos or straining tenors [for the high notes ] in the morning.

Piano solo or chamber music is my choice, to ease me into the day.
                            Totally agreed....
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

SMP dosn't give the poor news readers a chance to finish, coming in with the weather. Why can't the news readers give the weather as well?
                              The news readers used to do both the news and the weather. I think it changed to the present format when the news suddenly became the "BBC News".

I'm being Mr Grumpy!!!! Andy
                              Well that makes two of us then!

OG

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

sadly , if you want to see just how self obsessed the BBC is, tune into the countdown to the hourly bulletins on News 24.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X