Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

I just fancied saying Buckaroo....feel so much better....
    bong ching

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      I just fancied saying Buckaroo....feel so much better....
      Oooh! You savage!!!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....they can't touch yer for it....
        bong ching

Comment

• seabright
          • Jan 2013

Petroc T played a track this morning to mark Stokowski's birthday (18 April 1882) which made me wonder how much his name means these days. On You Tube there are 42,000 "results" against 'Stokowski' including parts of his first TV appearance in 1954 with the BBC SO. Presumably that's Paul Beard leading the orchestra and I think it's Frederick Riddle at the front of the 2nd violins, but are there any other well-known BBC SO names of the past to be seen in this clip? The orchestral layout is unusual, with the winds down on the right behind the violas, but that's how he often placed them ...

The most famous Bach Transcription of all is Leopold Stokowski's version of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor. He featured it in Walt Disney's "Fantasia" and ...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I was here, still have the double LP...LSO in their pomp, leader J Georgiadis..

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I was here, still have the double LP...LSO in their pomp, leader J Georgiadis..
              You'll remember this too, then, from the same concert ...

In 1972, Stokowski celebrated his 90th birthday and also the 60th Anniversary of his debut with the London Symphony Orchestra. To mark these two events, he c...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by seabright View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygs7TlT4KjU
                Thank you - yes - I never thought to look for this on You Tube. A 70-year age difference between conductor and soloist was quite something! Stokowski made a little speech at the end - he had trouble with the microphone, Georgiadis came to the rescue - and then they played Marche Slave as an encore. Quite a night. I think they repeated the concert at the Albert Hall a few days later.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by seabright View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygs7TlT4KjU
                  Thank you - yes - I never thought to look for this on You Tube. A 70-year age difference between conductor and soloist was quite something! The rest of the concert - Meistersinger prelude, Brahms 1. Stokowski made a little speech at the end - he had trouble with the microphone, Georgiadis came to the rescue - and then they played Marche Slav as an encore. Quite a night. I think they repeated the concert at the Albert Hall a few days later.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

A word in praise of breakfast,part of Parry's invocation to music was played yesterday (a BC I know, but every little helps).
                    I love the piece and wonder if the seeds of RVW's Sea Symphony were sown in the Monstrous Sea .
                    Soon after came another dance (Hungarian),off went the radio.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      A word in praise of breakfast,part of Parry's invocation to music was played yesterday (a BC I know, but every little helps).
                      I love the piece and wonder if the seeds of RVW's Sea Symphony were sown in the Monstrous Sea .
                      Soon after came another dance (Hungarian),off went the radio.
                      Hungarian dances seem to be creeping into 'Essential Classics'. I am struggling to see what is "essential" about Brahms's Hungarian Dances.
                      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        Hungarian dances seem to be creeping into 'Essential Classics'. I am struggling to see what is "essential" about Brahms's Hungarian Dances.
                        And Essential Classics seem to be creeping into 'The Breakfast Debate'... Perhaps you were having your breakfast after 10am (heures françaises)?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          And Essential Classics seem to be creeping into 'The Breakfast Debate'... Perhaps you were having your breakfast after 10am (heures françaises)?
                          A host with either too much time on his hands, or letting his powers go to his head. Unless, of course, intra-thread comments are now expected to be 100% 'on topic' at all times with nary a passing comment about any other extant Radio 3 programme.

I hope not, as this would a) discourage me from contributing further and b) nullify 99% of the board's current threads.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                            A host with too much time on his hand, methinks, unless intra-thread comments are now expected to be 100% 'on topic' at all times with nary a passing comment about any other extant Radio 3 programme.

I hope not, as this would 1) discourage me from contributing further and 2) nullify 99% of the board's current threads.
                            First fleeting visit today in fact, and happened to see it. Digression is great, I agree, but may seem perverse where there is an existing thread pre-eminently suitable for the precise point you are making ! http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-wrong-station

Besides, I enjoy teasing you. You rise so beautifully to the bait, Thropples!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              First fleeting visit today in fact, and happened to see it. Digression is great, I agree, but may seem perverse where there is an existing thread pre-eminently suitable for the precise point you are making ! http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-wrong-station

Besides, I enjoy teasing you. You rise so beautifully to the bait, Thropples!
                              'Hungarian Dances' provided a link not a digression.

I really don't appreciate your second comment, which seems contrary to the notion of 'hosts'. Indeed, no other host seems as vocal or as intrusive as yourself, and certainly don't delight in winding people up.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Apologies for what was intended as something light-hearted, then

Comment

Working...
                                X