X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
    What makes Radio 3 different from its rivals is that - unfortunately - it doesn't seem to know what its essential role is, with the result that has ended up falling between any number of proverbial stools. Even when it deigns to broadcast complete works, these are often combined in a very messy fashion (the afternoon concerts on Tuesday - which also featured La Gazza Ladra- and Friday are cases in point). Much as I admire Brahms's 4th and the Rach 2, I like a decent interval between them, rather than hearing them in rapid succession. Classic FM, however much some people like to mock it- is a popular music station that happens to play a lot of 'classical' stuff'. Like it or not - and you don't HAVE to listen any more than you HAVE to listen to Radio 3 - CFM seems to know where it's going and how to get there. (ELGAR alert - SM-P has trailed the item after next - Pomp & Circumstance No. 1 - presumably afraid that the unfamiliar piece for cello and piaon that's now playing will scare us off.)
    I think you're pretty much spot on there Northender. R3 has completely lost track of itself and the Leadership have become totally obsessed with trying to capture the CFM audience. Whether you like CFM or not, they no their market and in doing so keep the loyalty of their listeners. I do occasionally tune in for a change and find many of their presenters considerably more relaxed whilst maintaing a professional touch than many of the R3 presenters are (and sometimes the music is more interesting too!).

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

On the question of who puts forward the nominations in the first place, it doesn't escape my cynical attention that the first occasion when Radio 3's morning offering (at least in my memory) is nominated is when it has created so much upset, annoyance and criticism. I reckon they just popped it in, with Chris Evans and the Today programme, with fingers crossed that it might appeal to the jury and be one in the eye for the critics . A sort of wild card, with two solid bankers flying the BBC flag in case it's a failure.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        On the question of who puts forward the nominations in the first place, it doesn't escape my cynical attention that the first occasion when Radio 3's morning offering (at least in my memory) is nominated is when it has created so much upset, annoyance and criticism. I reckon they just popped it in, with Chris Evans and the Today programme, with fingers crossed that it might appeal to the jury and be one in the eye for the critics . A sort of wild card, with two solid bankers flying the BBC flag in case it's a failure.
        I don't know what all the excitement is about it's clearly a put up job - the BBC using its influence. It probably doesn't deserve the nomination but then if the competition is Chris Evans - no Mr. Wogan IMHO.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          I don't know what all the excitement is about it's clearly a put up job - the BBC using its influence.
          It's only the broadcasters who get excited, when they win, I imagine.

Among the jury I can see current or ex-controllers of R1, R2/R6Music and R5Live, and the ex-Manager of CFM, so R3's Breakfast would stand as good a chance as any, I'd think, in that company.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

It's only the broadcasters who get excited, when they win, I imagine ....

Indeed

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Bit more info about the Sonys fron R3's facebook:

"...the Sony nominations are selected by the Sony Awards panel from a much longer list of submissions".

So the BBC might enter - or submit - a lot of programmes and the panel decides which ones to shortlist as 'nominations'.

I'm not sure that that reassures at all about the panel, which didn't see fit to shortlist any of Radio 3 music programmes at all. And I forgot to post the radio drama nominations:

Best drama

Beryl: A Love Story on Two Wheels – Savvy for BBC Radio 4
              Easter & Christmas Diaries – BBC Radio 4 & 4 Extra Presentation for BBC Radio 4 Extra
              The Grapes of Wrath – BBC Radio Scotland
              My Boy – Somethin' Else for BBC Radio 4
              The Resistance of Mrs Brown – BBC Radio Drama London for BBC Radio 4

So not even the Radio 3 drama appealed to our panel. Dominated, as usual, by Radio 4. But what a rubbish COMPETITION it is.

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

You are getting nearer ff but your posts are not right. The SRAA can only judge valid applications submitted and paid for. You say that "... the panel, which didn't see fit to shortlist any of Radio 3 music programmes at all..." That sounds like an accusation, when in fact you have no idea whatsoever if other programmes were entered but found wanting.

To get things clear (it's only the 31st year of Sony Awards), the Sony Radio Academy Awards are administered by a Committee of 8 or so senior industry figures. Any radio station can submit an application for a programme to be considered for Nomination in one or more of the specified categories. You just complete the forms, supply mandatory material, present your case and pay the fees. The over/under 10 million category split refers to population within the Total Service Area not listeners.

There are well over 100 Judges drawn from senior ranks across the whole industry (the 5 or you hint at with BBC or CFM connections are hardly significant in that context). The Committee assigns them to one or more award categories to act in teams to a very tight brief and produce a short lst of Nominees who will now be studied in more detail and awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze. The bunfight is next month.

I've worked on print media panels and I've found that great efforts are made to understand background, problems and solutions and everyone acts with total integrity. The applicants including the BBC have no control whatsoever over which judges are assigned to each category.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

However you wish to dress it up none of which alters the fact that Breakfast is a dire, execrable, lame excuse for a classical music programme. Still, as the Sony awards are a byword for mediocrity, it's no doubt in good company.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                    You are getting nearer ff but your posts are not right. The SRAA can only judge valid applications submitted and paid for. You say that "... the panel, which didn't see fit to shortlist any of Radio 3 music programmes at all..." That sounds like an accusation, when in fact you have no idea whatsoever if other programmes were entered but found wanting.
                    The alternative would be that the BBC and or Radio 3 didn't see fit to submit them in the first place (since no R3 music programme was 'nominated' for consideration) - as you describe it in your very clear exposition.

There are well over 100 Judges drawn from senior ranks across the whole industry (the 5 or you hint at with BBC or CFM connections are hardly significant in that context).
                    I wasn't hinting at them: they are on the list. I'm not suggesting they would break the judging rules by favouring their own stations, merely that (in case I was not clear mentioning only those 5) that there are only representatives from light entertainment, marketing &c. among the entire jury. No one from what might be described as Radio 3's supposed area of output - and that's my reason for arguing that Radio 3 shouldn't touch the Sonys with a bargepole.

I think you were understanding what I had no wish to imply.

Add: although Sir Velo's contribution might be a relevant response to my objection.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

You Sir Ian - a pleasant surprise I was expecting the toaster......

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Skelly's pure class

(Yes an early rise for Rumpole today.... )
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Skelly's pure class

(Yes an early rise for Rumpole today.... )
                          Scarily early - but wrong thread the images of Salford daffodils gently waving in the bright sunlight was a little hard to take in the still grey pit heaps. But I could live with his Blossom ending......

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Is he the most popular last-minute 'stand-in'? Last week it had been announced as Simon Hoban, the Radio Merseyside presenter, as I mentioned, above (or below, depending which thread view you use).

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Is he the most popular last-minute 'stand-in'? Last week it had been announced as Simon Hoban, the Radio Merseyside presenter, as I mentioned, above (or below, depending which thread view you use).
                              Yes shame on me I'd forgotten that......I like IS he should IMHO be used a lot more at Breakfast....

Comment

• Oliver

The Valkyries were flying overhead today as I had my breakfast...as they so often do.
                                Overplaying particular works does them no favours; I love Wagner but I never wish to hear The Ride again.

Comment

Working...
                                X