X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bax-of-Delights
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Those Wasps are buzzing around again. Philip Franks played it in his programme yesterday and Ithink I heard it somewhere else too.

Doesn't anyone at the BBC care ???
    And we had Gershwin's Walking the Dog. which segued into the phone-in from, da-dah!, Battersea Dog's Home. The lady who requested The Wasps told us that the dogs loved classical music.

So it would appear that R3 has pinpointed children and dogs as its target audience...
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
      And we had Gershwin's Walking the Dog. which segued into the phone-in from, da-dah!, Battersea Dog's Home. The lady who requested The Wasps told us that the dogs loved classical music.

So it would appear that R3 has pinpointed children and dogs as its target audience...
      I love 'Walking the Dog' in its place in the Fred Astaire film, not on Breakfast though, perleeese.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        this has been engineered by the music 'industry' following the same approach as was used for advert funded TV (quaintly named 'independent TV' to hide fact that totally dependant on marketing androids) if you look at history of say Welsh male voice choirs or Brass/Silver bands which were mainly 'working class' with limited access to education there was no such feeling - Pappano is totally correct but the philitinism has been engineered and is not inate - reinforced by the third class public education that holds in much of the large cities.
        Elitism in Paraguay http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=UJrSUHK9Luw
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

ff that film is ace and the orchestral project amazing ... can we adopt them as forum mascots or noble cause or something?
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            ff that film is ace and the orchestral project amazing ... can we adopt them as forum mascots or noble cause or something?
            We can do as asked and publicise it. It was sent to me by a 'follower' who had it from his church organist, and thus to a number of musical friends.

I apologise to MrGG that they're playing 'classical music', but it really makes a contrast with the pampered, well(?)-educated west where they whinge about it being 'inaccessible': please make it more interesting/easier for us....
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              It was sent to me by a 'follower'
              Do we take it you're now on Twitter, French? How very a la mode.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

We can do as asked and publicise it. It was sent to me by a 'follower' who had it from his church organist, and thus to a number of musical friends.

I apologise to MrGG that they're playing 'classical music', but it really makes a contrast with the pampered, well(?)-educated west where they whinge about it being 'inaccessible': please make it more interesting/easier for us....
                This terrific film was released onto the forum a few months ago - can't remember which thread. I don't think you need apologise to MrGG, FF: he is all for teaching "classical music" (as he would no doubt put it) in schools across the land.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Morning

It was a request from someone in the south or Edgleyrob or both
                  Not guilty AG,I asked for this.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    This terrific film was released onto the forum a few months ago - can't remember which thread.
                    I had a feeling there was something about recycling rubbish to make musical instruments but hadn't a clue where I'd read about it. It was emailed to me (not tweeted!) this morning.

I don't know whether GG would have preferred something more cutting edge on old oil cans. But it makes me lose patience with people for whom R3 is good because it calms their little puppy dog (as on Facebook - is that what provoked the Gershwin Dogwalking?) The film shows how kids can engage with the music without being worried that they don't know much about Mozart or Bach.

Today I read from an unknown:

""Breakfast on Three" appears to have a playlist of about fifteen records, which must be played at least twice a week. This consists of the following dead certs: Brahms' Hungarian Dances, Dvořák's Slavonic variety, Johann Strauss the Younger's waltzes, the Bacchanal from "Samson and Delilah", the Hebrides Overture, that stupid dance of the bloody Gnome and that Kreisler "baroque" thing. Presenters are required to introduce said playlist by means of links too cheesy for local commercial stations..." (the rest I forbear to copy).

I have an idea things are going to reach screaming pitch soon ...

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Today I read from an unknown:

""Breakfast on Three" appears to have a playlist of about fifteen records, which must be played at least twice a week. This consists of the following dead certs: Brahms' Hungarian Dances, Dvořák's Slavonic variety, Johann Strauss the Younger's waltzes, the Bacchanal from "Samson and Delilah", the Hebrides Overture, that stupid dance of the bloody Gnome and that Kreisler "baroque" thing. Presenters are required to introduce said playlist by means of links too cheesy for local commercial stations..." (the rest I forbear to copy).

I have an idea things are going to reach screaming pitch soon ...
                      He/she may be Unknown but as usual with these wild statements the truth is elsewhere - in the last week we have had the Hebrides once and a couple of JSII waltzes the rest nowhere to be heard.

Far better you read our very own infallible statistician salymap as the only piece played twice was indeed the Wasps..................

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

It was emailed to me (not tweeted!) this morning.
                        Ah! It was the use of the specifically Twitter terminology, follower which made me think you had joined the ranks of the twitterati.

Ironically, there is someone on Twitter with your real name, and a user profile which is quite remarkably similar to your own. But obviously that is pure coincidence.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

I think there are some half-truths in these various rumours about 'must-play lists'. I don't this just applies to Breakfast, but Essential Breakfast and the Evening Breakfast Show too and now also to the music played throughout the day. From surveying the music played on R3 these past 4 and a quarter years one can see certain patterns emerging even within the regular regurgitations and the total number of works/chunks played by various composers, which are within similar numerical bounds each year. Sometimes one of the warhorses is apparently 'forgotten' about for a number of weeks then it'll be brought several times across various programmes over a two week period or so. Certain warhorses tend to be on certain programmes, Espana turns up more regularly on 'in-tune', for example. Certain composers or types of music are consistently kept to the minimum etc etc.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

He/she may be Unknown but as usual with these wild statements the truth is elsewhere - in the last week we have had the Hebrides once and a couple of JSII waltzes the rest nowhere to be heard.

Far better you read our very own infallible statistician salymap as the only piece played twice was indeed the Wasps..................
                            As has been said:"Perceptions may be wrong, but they are always true."

When I look at the playlists for Breakfast, I can never believe out of 20-odd pieces, Gershwin and Piazzolla are there again (and JS II if it comes to that), neither being in the vast spectrum of classical composition a very important figure. And as a regular listener, you will say, 'But neither has been played this week/fortnight/month.' If they were given an outing once a year, there would be no 'perception' that they were played more often.

Ironically, there is someone on Twitter with your real name, and a user profile which is quite remarkably similar to your own. But obviously that is pure coincidence.
                            It is - I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

As has been said:"Perceptions may be wrong, but they are always true."

Beyond scary.......I'll stick with Lady Sidcup and her facts.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Beyond scary.......I'll stick with Lady Sidcup and her facts.
                                Why? It only means that if someone has a perception that something is played very often, they have that perception - and there is likely to be some explanation (e.g. a piece is played every third day - which gives rise to the perception that it is played 'all the time'). One may have the perception that JSII was played every morning during this last week, when in fact he was only played three mornings - two polkas and one waltz. And Gershwin only got two outings: a single mvt from the piano concerto in F and the previously mentioned Walking the Dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X