The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Swan

I certainly understand, as an expat I am always amazed that we say Baroke not Baroque....

j

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      The shoe thing I understood to be a play on the North American way with the word 'Baroque'.... and punning with the name of the following footwear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brogue_shoe

Comment

• PianoSteve.

I think I noticed extracts from Carmen about four times within eight or nine days somewhere between 8 and 10 o'clock shared between Breakfast and EC. Stravinsky's March Russe has turned up a few times between these hours as well.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

"www.bbc.co.uk slash baroque spring will take you to the bog... Sorry, blog."

Still at least PT realised his gaffe...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Still at least PT realised his gaffe...
            Just got it - der. Must say I managed to miss the whole of Breakfast this morning.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Probably the best place for his blog...

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Those Wasps are buzzing around again. Philip Franks played it in his programme yesterday and Ithink I heard it somewhere else too.

Doesn't anyone at the BBC care ???

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Those Wasps are buzzing around again. Philip Franks played it in his programme yesterday and Ithink I heard it somewhere else too.
                  I'm afraid you've only got to say that and, in the eyes of the BBC (as well as 'new listeners'), you become a 'music expert', one of the 'elite' - even though it's in the CFM Hall of Fame.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I'm afraid you've only got to say that and, in the eyes of the BBC (as well as 'new listeners'), you become a 'music expert', one of the 'elite' - even though it's in the CFM Hall of Fame.
                    Morning ff, how very depressing.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Doesn't anyone at the BBC care ???
                      Morning

It was a request from someone in the south or Edgleyrob or both

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Morning ff, how very depressing.
                        saly

I've read some of the 'research' carried out by the BBC. They're worried to distraction because there's a general public which 'perceives' Radio 3 to be 'daunting and inaccessible' and that it's only for a 'musical elite and not for us ordinary people'. And the 'BBC' perceives it in exactly the same way because they're all cultural ignoramuses and know no better themselves - if you've heard of 'The Wasps' you've probably got a PhD in music and go to expensive concerts twice a week.

They believe that providing amiable casual entertainment is all they have to do, 'classical music' for a bit of upmarket class which is 'distinctive' from popular radio - and shame on those who know better and collaborate with an ignorant establishment which is easily persuaded that it's educating the next generation of 'music lovers'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                          • Apr 2011

Interesting that both Martin Handley and Rob Cowan yesterday highlighted an interview with Tony Pappano in the Sunday Times in which he inveighed against the national philistinism that causes the ROH to be viewed with suspicion as an elitist institution. Both (rightly) praised Pappano for his stance, and described the interview as important. Was a coded message to the BBC embedded in their remarks? Who can say?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                            Interesting that both Martin Handley and Rob Cowan yesterday highlighted an interview with Tony Pappano in the Sunday Times in which he inveighed against the national philistinism that causes the ROH to be viewed with suspicion as an elitist institution. Both (rightly) praised Pappano for his stance, and described the interview as important. Was a coded message to the BBC embedded in their remarks? Who can say?
                            I like Martin Handley at Breakfast on the weekends.
                            It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Me too, Thropplenoggin, though I had the impression that he was talking rather more than usual this weekend - possibly on the borderline of acceptability. I'd rather hear him talking than any of the other regular weekend presenters, however.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                ..They're worried to distraction because there's a general public which 'perceives' Radio 3 to be 'daunting and inaccessible' and that it's only for a 'musical elite and not for us ordinary people'. ...
                                this has been engineered by the music 'industry' following the same approach as was used for advert funded TV (quaintly named 'independent TV' to hide fact that totally dependant on marketing androids) if you look at history of say Welsh male voice choirs or Brass/Silver bands which were mainly 'working class' with limited access to education there was no such feeling - Pappano is totally correct but the philitinism has been engineered and is not inate - reinforced by the third class public education that holds in much of the large cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X