The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hautboiste

The comment about Edward Heath conducting Elgar amazed me. Don't these youngsters have any basic knowledge of recent historical trivia any more?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hautboiste View Post
      The comment about Edward Heath conducting Elgar amazed me. Don't these youngsters have any basic knowledge of recent historical trivia any more?
      Yes, she sounded almost incredulous as if she'd never heard that Edward Heath had ever conducted ("Can you believe that?"). I've just listened to the masochist version - skipping quickly throught the music (Waxman Carmen Fantasy, O fortuna, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - 1st movement &c &c) and paying attention to the chat. How tiresome to hear about that musical map after every piece. two birthday wishes, tweets to say that people enjoyed such-and-such a piece ...

Alert producer corrected two pronunciation mistakes while the music was playing.

Wasn't that last piece recorded over here as "Midnight in Moscow"?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hautboiste View Post

Is 1971 recent?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Is 1971 recent?
          It's recent history.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            It's recent history.

Fair point but when I started listening to the radio in 1967 1925 was ancient history......

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Fair point but when I started listening to the radio in 1967 1925 was ancient history......
              But you would probably have been considered too young then to be an R3 presenter

On Radio 1 they want their presenters to be the same age/generation as the audience so R3 presenters should ideally be about 57. Any good for you?

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

But you would probably have been considered too young then to be an R3 presenter

On Radio 1 they want their presenters to be the same age/generation as the audience so R3 presenters should ideally be about 57. Any good for you?

I get the impression Sara is slightly younger.........

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I get the impression Sara is slightly younger.........
                  I haven't actually heard her for some time so can't comment on her presentation skills. If Wiki is to be believed she is or will be 33 this year.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

I haven't actually heard her for some time so can't comment on her presentation skills. If Wiki is to be believed she is or will be 33 this year.
                    06.30 on Monday morning for you then.........

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Because I have said that I 'don't listen to Breakfast' this has been (mis)interpreted as meaning I've never heard it, or haven't heard it recently. In fact, I listen at regular intervals (for research purposes ) and I've just listened this evening on LA. I think Monday morning is therefore to soon to go through it all again... I could write a whole dissertation on why I dislike the programme as much as I do. For me, it has everything wrong with it that it could possibly have - starting with having no idea what they're going to play in advance and going steadily downhill from there - including when they say what they played

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Oh come on ff let me have at least a score draw ........just once......

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Oh come on ff let me have at least a score draw ........just once......
                          Oh, I give up. You win.

[Is that all right?]

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Oh, I give up. You win.

[Is that all right?]

Never on these boards - but at this time on a Sunday morning........sleep well
                            Last edited by antongould; 24-02-13, 01:41.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              The musical map has the whiff of both Classic FM and Blue Peter infantilisation of the nation. "Does little Jimmy want to stick a pin in the map? There's a goooooooooood boy! Well done!"
                              Somebody somewhere seems to want adults to behave like kids, and kids to behave like adults.

Pehaps Ceebeebees is really classy in the mornings.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Today I listened to Breakfast. Just for research, as FF says.
                                Maybe we were being unfair in our constant criticisms?

But, no, the criticisms are justified. This was quite dreadful.

Patronising drivel.

"Thank you for your tweets and text messages" and "Thank you for your excellent company".
                                How can the listeners be excellent company when we are stuck at home and Clemency Burton-Hill is stuck in a Radio 3 studio?

Do they assume we are stupid?

And then the trailers.

Is it getting even worse?

Comment

Working...
                                X