X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
    ...- the piece was "Zadok the Priest", which as Suffolkcoastal will attest has been one of the most played pieces on R3.
    and the signature tune for CFm ! - re Martin Handley - apart from 'your call' + the other vox pox interruptions surely the rest could be prerecorded with no great loss - might make early morning listening more pleasant if it adopted TTN's format.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      and the signature tune for CFm ! - re Martin Handley - apart from 'your call' + the other vox pox interruptions surely the rest could be prerecorded with no great loss - might make early morning listening more pleasant if it adopted TTN's format.
      I'd go so far as to say that Martin Handley could record the whole thing in his front room in the Kent countryside on a Friday and then just transfer the thing to Salford for editing in the news and blurb blah of forthcoming plays/concerts. Making the poor fellow drag all the way to Salford every weekend seems so, well, antideluvian in this advanced technical day and age.

Oh, before I go, let me say that I find the "what's coming up in the next hour" snippets just about the naffest idea ever thrust upon an intelligent audience.
      O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

Yes I cannot imagine any regular Breakfast listener not having heard Zadok the Priest before, must have been a put up to get yet another of the R3 warhorses played as soon as possible in 2013. As i pointed out on another thread, they seem to be in a real hurry to play as many of their warhorses as they can as quickly as they can this year. My warhorse list has now around 75% f its entries filled, with a fair number of these already having occurred more than once, and we're not yet half way through the first month!
        I do feel sorry for poor Martin Handley, if they are dragging such a fine presenter up to Salford every weekend to present such uninspiring dross, I take my hat off to him, he must have real staying power.
        I see that R3 is doing more CFM copying next week with a certain Magpie as COTW.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I'd go so far as to say that Martin Handley could record the whole thing in his front room in the Kent countryside on a Friday and then just transfer the thing to Salford for editing in the news and blurb blah of forthcoming plays/concerts. Making the poor fellow drag all the way to Salford every weekend seems so, well, antideluvian in this advanced technical day and age.

If Robert Peston can do his job with an ISDN line from his spare room in North London, why can't Martin - who IMV is one of the best presenters on R3.

Oh, before I go, let me say that I find the "what's coming up in the next hour" snippets just about the naffest idea ever thrust upon an intelligent audience.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

If Robert Peston can do his job with an ISDN line from his spare room in North London, why can't Martin - who IMV is one of the best presenters on R3.

so if we can just get someone to sabotage peston's phone line.......

Seriously, what an absurd use of public money this is.putting "breakfast" together isn't really rocket science.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Seriously, what an absurd use of public money this is.putting "breakfast" together isn't really rocket science.
              TS, I think you're overlooking the fact that the presenter would have to be close to the whole Breakfast team - all those people checking that they're not playing the same pieces that they played last week, or that had just been played on TTN in the last couple of nights. Not to mention the administrative staff who set up the Your Call and Your Wake-up Call spots every day.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                TS, I think you're overlooking the fact that the presenter would have to be close to the whole Breakfast team - all those people checking that they're not playing the same pieces that they played last week, or that had just been played on TTN in the last couple of nights. Not to mention the administrative staff who set up the Your Call and Your Wake-up Call spots every day.
                Ah yes, silly me. well spotted KB! All that rigorous research....the same team raffers uses I guess.

Also
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Black Swan

So Martin Handley travels up to Salford from his home in Kent (I believe that's where he lives) on Friday night and then, one presumes, stays for two nights at a local hotel just to present Weekend Breakfast before returning home after the Sunday show? Are there absolutely no facilities at Broadcasting House in London for radio transmission any more and how much more does all this travelling take from the budget one wonders?

The Sunday "Your Call": fellow had heard a piece of music in 1977 as the signature tune to "Royal Heritage" but had never found out what it was - until 2 years ago. He obviously hadn't been a R3 listener - the piece was "Zadok the Priest", which as Suffolkcoastal will attest has been one of the most played pieces on R3.
                  Obviously, there are facilities as Rob Cowan was presenting from London. As for Zadok, my feelings exactly would that Handel were getting royalties from recordings. Radio 3 would have made him a bundle with Zadok and the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba. Also, Martin resurrected another of my least favorite works, The Warsaw Concerto, this morning as well.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                    Martin resurrected another of my least favorite works, The Warsaw Concerto, this morning as well.
                    Wasn't that to create one of those links - no doubt on the basis of a ukase from above - to trail a series about film music coming up on R3? I do wonder how Martin tolerates this kind of thing, but he seems somehow mostly to ride above it in ways that SK, PT and SM-P don't succeed in emulating.

After he said - and it sounded spontaneous - that WC had brought a tear to his eye - I sent a text to him saying that it wasn't a bad piece, but less interesting hearing it for the second time in 48 hours, since it had been broadcast in Friday morning's TTN.

Comment

• arancie33
                      • Jan 2011

The Sunday "Your Call": fellow had heard a piece of music in 1977 as the signature tune to "Royal Heritage" but had never found out what it was - until 2 years ago. He obviously hadn't been a R3 listener - the piece was "Zadok the Priest", which as Suffolkcoastal will attest has been one of the most played pieces on R3.
                      Put R3 on when home, forgot it was In Tune which is a no-go area anyway and they were playing .... Zadok the Priest As it happens it is one of my least favourite pieces, possibly on account of over exposure but the BBC are going to turn my dislike into an active hatred very soon. I've told them so and await the bland reply

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
                        the bland reply
                        Careful, arancie; you never know, they might bring him back!

Comment

• arancie33
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Careful, arancie; you never know, they might bring him back!
                          Thanks for that thought! Maybe I'll hear from Chris Patten then., and where's the flying pig smiley when I need it!

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

TWO live interactions with the great listening public on this morning's breakfast show

are people queuing up to put in their requests do you think ?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              TWO live interactions with the great listening public on this morning's breakfast show

are people queuing up to put in their requests do you think ?
                              Well, I only heard the second one and I may be very mistaken, slipping in and out of the arms of Morpheus as I was, but was it cut quite abruptly when the caller informed us that he was "stoned". It certainly wasn't very enlightening and evidence I would argue that the whole "interactive" exercise is a complete waste of time. Especially as the piece chosen was VW's "The Wasps overture" which, I am sure suffolkcoastal will attest, is up there as one of the most played pieces on R3.
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Well, I only heard the second one and I may be very mistaken, slipping in and out of the arms of Morpheus as I was, but was it cut quite abruptly when the caller informed us that he was "stoned". It certainly wasn't very enlightening and evidence I would argue that the whole "interactive" exercise is a complete waste of time. Especially as the piece chosen was VW's "The Wasps overture" which, I am sure suffolkcoastal will attest, is up there as one of the most played pieces on R3.
                                I guessed there'd be a sting in your tale!

Comment

Working...
                                X