X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    I'm no fan of Bolero, but this was only its 12th broadcast of the year, so compared with works like La Valse (25) and a number of other Ravel works, Prelude de l'apres midi d'un faun (35), Hebrides Overture (30), Wolf's Italian Serenade (30), let alone the number of Debussy Preludes, Slavonic & Hungarian Dances for example, the number of broadcasts isn't over excessive.
    If I recall Sc you are no great fan of Ravel? Perhaps when you have finished your wonderful symphonic voyage you might explain why??

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I was quite a fan of Ravel Anton, and I still love certain works like Sheherazade, Gaspard de la Nuit and the Left hand Concerto. I have just found that R3's over exposure of certain Ravel works has decreased my interest and I just cannot listen to works like La Valse. I've turned my back on the majority of Ravel for the time being, however when I return to Ravel in my own time, I'm sure I will find as much to enjoy and admire as I used to.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

I was quite a fan of Ravel Anton, and I still love certain works like Sheherazade, Gaspard de la Nuit and the Left hand Concerto. I have just found that R3's over exposure of certain Ravel works has decreased my interest and I just cannot listen to works like La Valse. I've turned my back on the majority of Ravel for the time being, however when I return to Ravel in my own time, I'm sure I will find as much to enjoy and admire as I used to.
        Excellent very pleased to hear it.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Isn't it strange how you can fall out of love with certain music.

I can't listen to Beethoven symphonies or concertos these days and yet can't live without his piano and chamber music.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Isn't it strange how you can fall out of love with certain music.

I can't listen to Beethoven symphonies or concertos these days and yet can't live without his piano and chamber music.
            I have a trial separation from a few works inc Elgar Cello Concerto, Sibelius Violin Concerto, Vivaldi - most of it, BUT the divorcee is Bolero!

Comment

• Roehre

Isn't it strange how you can fall out of love with certain music.....
              One of the reasons why I mostly avoid (for me) "war horse" concerts, which means (again for me) by far the best part of the Proms and R3 live (or otherwise) concerts.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                One of the reasons why I mostly avoid (for me) "war horse" concerts, which means (again for me) by far the best part of the Proms and R3 live (or otherwise) concerts.
                But are there not a couple of 'war horses' which you are still totally besotted by after all these years?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  But are there not a couple of 'war horses' which you are still totally besotted by after all these years?
                  Not many "totally besotted", but Dvorak's cello concerto, Mahler 9, Stravinsky Sacre fall in that category.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Over exposure to composer & works is something that can certainly result in a lessening of interest in them, at least for me. That is why I try to avoid listening to too much R3 these days, just dipping in to the iplayer for items/programmes/performances of interest (often post concert works) or when playlists are either missing, incomplete or appear incorrect to check them for my survey. Which should be ready as usual around the 2nd January, I'm dreading having to trawl through Breakfasts for the next week and a half on the iplayer, as they they are rarely put up before the 3rd January.
                    I'm careful not to play even my favourite works too often, 5 or 6 times a year is enough. There is so much to hear and enjoy. I already have my post symphonic journey listening plans, which are rather different.

Comment

• Roehre

Over exposure to composer & works is something that can certainly result in a lessening of interest in them, at least for me. That is why I try to avoid listening to too much R3 these days,(....)
                      I'm careful not to play even my favourite works too often, 5 or 6 times a year is enough. There is so much to hear and enjoy. (....)
                      I couldn't have written that better myself.
                      But for me even 5 or 6 times a year is too much.
                      Twice or thrice is for me more than enough for works which I know well already.
                      An unknown work is listenend to a couple of times in a very short time, e.g. 4-6 times within 2 or 3 days. After that, it can take years before re-visiting the work again.

I have got the experience that listening to (a very big trunk of) the whole output of a composer opens new perspectives and views. For me in that respect there are two types of composers: 1. the composers whose works cause a kind of addiction (for me: Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Sibelius, Webern, Berg, Vaughan williams) with "withdrawel symptoms" and 2. those who don't (Chopin, Mozart, Rossini, Verdi, Bruckner, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Britten, Walton).
                      Why? Who knows?
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-12-12, 22:22.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Not many "totally besotted", but Dvorak's cello concerto, Mahler 9, Stravinsky Sacre fall in that category.
                        Interesting trio Mahler 9 a warhorse? - I'm not sure that for me it's taken on that status or indeed how much Mahler I can take on board - Syms 1-5 I can't get enough of, but 6 onwards after too many years I'm still trying to digest. Berlioz Fantastique, Rachmaninov Sym 2 and the complete Daphnis are my must haves!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

But if I go for more than 2 or 3 days without listening to Vaughan Williams I get withdrawal symptoms.
                          I feel so much better after a 'fix' of one of his symphonies.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

But if I go for more than 2 or 3 days without listening to Vaughan Williams I get withdrawal symptoms.
                            I feel so much better after a 'fix' of one of his symphonies.
                            I think your RVW is my Ravel - I need the regular 'fix' of Daphnis, M Goose, Scheherazade or Tombeau de Couperin. I'm not sure I like all RVW but certainly I would not want to be without Job, Syms 5, 3, 2 or Wasps and the frequecy of play of the Tallis Fantasy cannot take away its sheer beauty. What did you think of the Andrew Manze BBCSSO RVW broadcasts?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I think your RVW is my Ravel - I need the regular 'fix' of Daphnis, M Goose, Scheherazade or Tombeau de Couperin. I'm not sure I like all RVW but certainly I would not want to be without Job, Syms 5, 3, 2 or Wasps and the frequecy of play of the Tallis Fantasy cannot take away its sheer beauty. What did you think of the Andrew Manze BBCSSO RVW broadcasts?
                              That's so true cloughie.
                              Judging by his RVW,Andrew Manze could become the natural successor to the much missed Richard Hickox as the next champion of neglected British composers.
                              I certainly hope so.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

That's so true cloughie.
                                Judging by his RVW,Andrew Manze could become the natural successor to the much missed Richard Hickox as the next champion of neglected British composers.
                                I certainly hope so.
                                Me too - I would like to hear his take on Job.

Comment

Working...
                                X