The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parddu

I'm by no means a fan of Breakfast but I revelled in yesterday's playing of Bethlehem Down sung, if my memory serves me correctly, by the choir of Guildford Cathedral. Lovely

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Hilarious performance of a Chopin Ballade by Richter just now on Breakfast, I don't think I've heard so many wrong notes before.
      Last edited by mercia; 14-12-10, 08:53.

Comment

• Eudaimonia

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        FWIW, texting and tweeting have no place on Radio 3, as they are inherently trivial, and can be of no interest to anyone other than the texter or tweeter.
        Oh? I wouldn't be so quick to consign an entire medium of communication to the dungheap--especially not if that's the one presenters are actually paying attention to and actively hearing.

Here's a thought: what if a dozen people here made the effort to become skilled at writing pithy, epigrammatic zingers that really make people sit up and take notice?

Think about it! If you can make serious points with wit and humor that end up being broadcast, everyone wins: the presenters get a more meaningful, interesting, and entertaining show and you get your message across to a broad audience.

Even if you wish we could all go back to the days of "just music", realistically speaking, that's not going to happen so you might as well make the most of it. Just because Twitter and texts are a) severely limited and b) duller than dirt nine times out of ten doesn't mean you can't use them to your advantage if you think creatively and put some effort into it.

Here's a book you might find relevant when thinking about these issues:

Persuasion, Social Influence, and Compliance Gaining

Robert H. Gass, John S. Seiter

Grounded in contemporary scholarship, Persuasion: Social Influence, and Compliance Gaining not only provides a comprehensive of overview of persuasion theory and application, but also engages students in the thoughtful evaluation of the role that persuasive messages play in their own everyday lives. This Fourth Edition guides students from understanding established theories and models of persuasion, to being able to develop and apply general conclusions about persuasion in real-world settings. The authors present a social-scientific perspective of persuasion that includes in a wide variety of contexts and connects with students by drawing on numerous real-life examples and applications of persuasion.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eudaimonia View Post
          Think about it! If you can make serious points with wit and humor that end up being broadcast, everyone wins: the presenters get a more meaningful, interesting, and entertaining show and you get your message across to a broad audience.

Even if you wish we could all go back to the days of "just music", realistically speaking, that's not going to happen
          2nd point - why not?
          1st point - why buy into the nonsense ?
          Re suggested reading must be something genetic that Europeans don't share so much - try the Dale Carnegie How to Win Friends and Influence People of 1937 - typical American - has little influence I can see on their politics - just designed to keep the plebs sweet and believing they can change things.

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Daring Tripod View Post
            R3 is, by far, the Station with the highest cost-per-listener of all the BBC stations and bearing in mind that the axe will shortly fall, I feel there must be a mad scramble to try and improve this by trying to “popularise”.
            Daring Tripod,

You should also know that evening and twilight programmes on the 'popular' Radio 2 often get less than 250,000 listeners which is less than some Radio 3 programmes, so.....
            - - -

John W

Comment

• Panjandrum

Oh? I wouldn't be so quick to consign an entire medium of communication to the dungheap--especially not if that's the one presenters are actually paying attention to and actively hearing.

Here's a thought: what if a dozen people here made the effort to become skilled at writing pithy, epigrammatic zingers that really make people sit up and take notice?

Even if you wish we could all go back to the days of "just music", realistically speaking, that's not going to happen so you might as well make the most of it. Just because Twitter and texts are a) severely limited and b) duller than dirt nine times out of ten doesn't mean you can't use them to your advantage if you think creatively and put some effort into it.

Here's a book you might find relevant when thinking about these issues:

Persuasion, Social Influence, and Compliance Gaining

Robert H. Gass, John S. Seiter

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i...ed=0CCsQ6AEwAA
              Patronising drivel...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Everyone wins? I think the main message people are trying to get across is that they don't want listener messages being read out in the middle of music programmes. So it's a bit of a Catch-22, isn't it?

It's possible that being from, and based in, another part of the world and not having had the experience of being a Radio 3 listener over many years, you don't really have the necessary empathy to appreciate the views of R3's audience?
                Last edited by french frank; 14-12-10, 13:14. Reason: Removed ambiguity
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Martin

Originally posted by hercule View Post
                  Hilarious performance of a Chopin Ballade by Richter just now on Breakfast, I don't think I've heard so many wrong notes before.
                  It was quite awful, I must agree. Rob Cowan didn't seem to think so though.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Did I hear aright (from the bathroom) that Rob is running a 'Nation's Favourite Mozart piece' currently, with various faves being played in the run up to Christmas...??? PLUS the Mozart orgy for 12 days after, or in January, or whenever it is???

Wouldn't it have made more sense to do the 'What's your favourite Mozart' after the playing of everything, so that people could evaluate what they'd heard, and might come up with something other than the inevitable Ave Verum etc etc...

Hmmmm.... although...

On second thoughts, maybe after the 12 days Wolfie-Fest, they think everyone (or most people) will be so heartily sick of Mozart that they want to listen to ANYTHING other than his music...
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Caliban
                      Do I understand you aright that you had never heard of this Mozart fest until this morning?

Or have I got you wrong?

Comment

• PatrickOD

I wonder why the Ave Verum is the inevitable choice of so many people. Is it one of those sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                          Caliban
                          Do I understand you aright that you had never heard of this Mozart fest until this morning?

Or have I got you wrong?
                          No no I'd heard about the January marathon... It's just the pre-Christmas add-on that I picked up this morning.

Ave Verum Corpus has always left me rather cold for some reason. For me the best of Mozart are the Piano Concertos: catching interesting versions of them will be what keeps me listening in January, I suspect...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Perdix

Well said Caliban. I enjoy Breakfast immensely, apart from the trailers, the chart, and the coming up nexts. But I can live with those things, and wouldn't be without it.

I'm glad I can still be Perdix here. I've only just realised that the R3 MB has gone. Doubtless this has been gone over twenty million times, but can someone please tell me in one sentence why the BBC shut them down?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Perdix:
                              It depends on how cynical you feel:

A) The BBC wanted to save money.
                              B) They became irritated by the sniping at the actual or perceived dumbing of the broadcasting on R3 and instead of entering into dialogue decided that the best way of attending to what they believe the public wants is by ignoring them.
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Perdix

It's good to see the old names here, but I don't think I can cope with all this red. Not to mention all these http://www.for3.org/forums/images/smilies/f_cool.gif.

Comment

Working...
                                X