X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Osborn

I think there is a great difference between a soloist choosing their encore and a broadcasting corporation deliberately choosing to cherry-pick movements as the secondary back-up to inane chat, phone-ins and ad-hoc news bulletins.

R3 Breakfast - Disgraceful isn't it?

Comment

• Panjandrum

I think I may inadvertently have caused the selection of Jupiter this morning. Yesterday, SM-P was tweeting for listeners to come up with suggestions for the torch relay to Cheltenham. Ironically, I tweeted "It has to be Holst; and what better piece than Jupiter". My bad.
      Last edited by Guest; 23-05-12, 09:57. Reason: Insufficiently contrite

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        I think I may inadvertently have caused the selection of Jupiter this morning. Yesterday, SM-P was tweeting for listeners to come up with suggestions for the torch relay to Cheltenham. Ironically, I tweeted "It has to be Holst; and what better piece than Jupiter". My bad!

I quite enjoyed it actually, good to hear the Jurowski/LPO reading

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

Just found myself listening to Classic FM after fingers slipped on the dial, only to hear John Suchet announce a raucously Venezuelan ending of Tchaik 5 as the finale of Symphony No.6

At least SMP & Rob aren't likely to do that!

Comment

• James Wonnacott
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            That's interesting. Fewer people are listening at 7.30. I wonder whether it hasn't proved popular or whether the idea is to attract more people to the earlier time? Given that in the early morning people listen at the time that suits them (rather than because of what's on), I'd say the former: at 7.30 it will annoy fewer people than at 8.30
            Maybe the supply of people dim enough to want to be 'phoned up and who listen at 8.30 has dried up so they've got to find a new crop.
            I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
              Maybe the supply of people dim enough to want to be 'phoned up and who listen at 8.30 has dried up so they've got to find a new crop.
              Very naughty, JW! But if you're right, perhaps they'll move it to 9.30am next ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jasmine Bassett View Post
                I've always felt slightly smug that my 7:30 - 8:00 drive to work usually gives me a relatively gimmick free half hour of the Breakfast Programme - if I'm a bit late and they start to play one of the dreadful concatenations of the best 10 seconds from what's on during the next hour I simply turn off. Now it looks as if I won't be listening at all with the "experiment" to move my/your/bad call (whatever it's called!) to just after the 7:30 news.
                Ah! My listening time is 8.30 - 9 when doing things in and around the bathroom (excuse excess of infornation )... I thought I must have been distracted and missed the dratted phone-in but that explains it. One hopes, a prelude to discreetly junking it altogether.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  One hopes, a prelude to discreetly junking it altogether.
                  hasn't it been replaced by that other manufactured event of chase the will-o-the-wisp around the country - a totally pointles waste of money - but phone in if you see it coming your way allows yet more cheap waffle to keep the masses amused.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    hasn't it been replaced by that other manufactured event of chase the will-o-the-wisp around the country - a totally pointles waste of money - but phone in if you see it coming your way allows yet more cheap waffle to keep the masses amused.
                    You should realise that the BBC are heavily invested in the Olympics and all the paraphanalia associated with it - hence the insertion of the "torch music" (visions of Barry Manilow and audiences swaying with lights comes to mind). The fact that Macdonalds and Coca Cola, purveyors of comestibles intrinsicly designed to make consumers fat and die prematurely, are the major sponsors of this sportathon does not seem to have been perceived as ironic by the Corp. It sails on gaily plugging this ridiculous charade as the the good, the mediocre and the downright ugly totter along for 300 yards in the chav inspired outfits gripping a totemic bar of gold that is reducing in value as each day goes by. Nothing shows up the hypocrisy of the organisers than their po-faced tut-tutting of attempts by the runners to flog off their torches on Ebay. "Not quite the spirit of the Games, is it?" Perhaps not, but then again that "spirit" went skywards long ago when it became a huge corporate advertising event.
                    Now R3 hooks on to this charade with their putrid "suggest a piece of music to accompany the torch" through various parts of the country, plugging it every 15 minutes in hyperventilating excitement that makes me cringe at the mindset that now infects this radio station.

You want MY suggestion for Liverpool for this fool's parade?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I wonder why I am so rabidly grumpy this morning?
                    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

I wonder why I am so rabidly grumpy this morning?
                      Probably same reason as me, B-0-D.

Great post And I hadn't heard that Beatles song before!

Comment

• amcluesent
                        • Sep 2011

I've tweeted a request for the 'Prisoner's Chorus' from Fidelio for Petroc.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Serial-Apologist: It's from the 'White Album'.
                          For Felixstowe in July, I might suggest (i) the 'Z Cars' theme, simply because one of our few famous former residents is Jeremy Kemp, who played Bob Steele in the first two series; (ii) the main theme from 'Lawrence of Arabia', as Aircraftman Shaw was briefly stationed here; (iii) 'I Danced With a Man Who Danced With a Girl Who Danced With the Prince of Wales', because Wallis Simpson stayed here while waiting for her divorce to go through in Ipswich.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                            Serial-Apologist: It's from the 'White Album'.
                            For Felixstowe in July, I might suggest (i) the 'Z Cars' theme, simply because one of our few famous former residents is Jeremy Kemp, who played Bob Steele in the first two series; (ii) the main theme from 'Lawrence of Arabia', as Aircraftman Shaw was briefly stationed here; (iii) 'I Danced With a Man Who Danced With a Girl Who Danced With the Prince of Wales', because Wallis Simpson stayed here while waiting for her divorce to go through in Ipswich.
                            Add Theme from Colditz which JK was also in!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Very naughty, JW! But if you're right, perhaps they'll move it to 9.30am next ...
                              That would get in the way of the 'guess' spot!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                That would get in the way of the 'guess' spot!
                                Not if Breakfast finishes, as now, at 9am
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X