• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Was he stumped for something to ask? (Yes, I know, it's a wicket thing to say). I too shall be glad when the interview slot is ...over.
    Oh happy, happy Lady Norfolk, to have such punning wit on tap day and night!! Does she know how lucky she is?!

I switched over from R3 without batting an eyelid...

What a load of bal...... !!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I agree entirely with Ferretfancy.

Origibally Posted by James Wonnacott
      He was the same on "breakfast" - text me this, email me that, let me know what you think- all in that silly voice more suited to an infant teacher.
      That is because it was Breakfast where the rot first set in. If he sounds as if he is enjoying his role now, you could say that that is his professionalism. I don’t think it is reasonable or realistic to say ’he can always leave the job if he doesn’t like it.’

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        I agree entirely with Ferretfancy.

... it was Breakfast where the rot first set in. If he sounds as if he is enjoying his role now, you could say that that is his professionalism. I don’t think it is reasonable or realistic to say ’he can always leave the job if he doesn’t like it.’
        Exactly, doversoul
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I must say I disagree with the criticism of Rob Cowan, I find him knowledgeable and genial - but totally miscast in the rôle of interviewer on Essential Classics. OK he wasn't 'forced' to do it - but the man needs a job like anyone else and he's not the only one who has had to compromise his strengths as a result of the rôle he finds himself having to fill as part of his employment and at the behest of his employer.

The interviews with the lady cricketer this week have been particularly strained, it seemed to me - tenuous links between sport and music leading to dodgy 'sequiturs' - the giveaway was that the 'slots' were very short - on one day, they'd run out of things to say and music to play after barely 20 minutes. Threadbare stuff. I still hope the 'guest spot' will be discreetly junked in the not too distant future
          Cal, I agree with you regarding Rob and when we finally run out of guest, hopefully soon, and RW sees the error of his ways, Rob is the man to steer us out of the dark ages. He does manage to slip in some decent recordings.

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

I think Rob is a great asset. I like to listen to him. My belief is that he has been pushed into his current situation, not through choice.

I look forward to reading his memoirs once his pension is safe. I wonder what he will have to say about the RW years?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Oh happy, happy Lady Norfolk, to have such punning wit on tap day and night!! Does she know how lucky she is?!

I switched over from R3 without batting an eyelid...

What a load of bal...... !!
              I'm not bowled over either....

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I'm not bowled over either....
                ...he declared.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                  ...he declared.
                  Silly me (doff) cap

Comment

• old khayyam

I would just like to add, pertinently, to this thread, that i have indeed finally lost all desire to reach for the radio during the breakfast period. There's no more 'try it and see', no more 'it isnt always that bad', no more excuses. To even think of turning on the radio at breakfast brings audio-mental images of Pomp And Circumstance and other enforced jollities. I have been bitten too many times. I now have a Pavlovian repulsion to R3. I should have noticed the final symptoms at the weekend before last, when i found myself buying CDs of Bach and other such gentle tastes, which i already had, just so i could play them in the kitchen in the morning, and pretend it is the radio. The system works fine for me now and, you know what, i actually feel more in control of my life.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I couldn't agree more. All I do now is use the iplayer for "CD Review", "The Early Music Show" and often "Composer of the Week". The rest I can do without!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I choked on my toast when C B-P said earlier that many people haved texted in saying they are suffering from Schubert withdrawal symptoms. A very rude answer that came to mind is not suitable for Easter week so I'll look at last night's Arena with Jonathan Miller.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          I choked on my toast when C B-P said earlier that many people haved texted in saying they are suffering from Schubert withdrawal symptoms. A very rude answer that came to mind is not suitable for Easter week so I'll look at last night's Arena with Jonathan Miller.
                          it's April the first - R3 as expected has ratcheted down another notch towards R2 - and look who is on duty this morning - I switched off the wittering within 30secs

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            It's all right. Rai5 have just been giving us some Schubert - Leonskaja playing D960. (Which others have praised from last week, I remember, though I found it enjoyable, but a little hard-nosed.)

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I do like D960 and may play one of my CDs today to show Schubert there are no hard feelings and I really love a lot of his music - but not the overkill of this week.

I have M Uchida with D960 and Brendel with the last three piano sonatas to choose from.

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
                                He hasn't been forced to do anything of the sort. As far as I can tell he seems to enjoy presenting drivel filled programmes. He was the same on "breakfast" - text me this, email me that, let me know what you think- all in that silly voice more suited to an infant teacher.
                                He may well be extremely knowledgeable about music- perhaps he should write books on the subject.
                                And if I here "Thank you very much indeed" one more time I'm going to smash the radio!
                                I totally agree with James. I have lost all respect for Rob Cowan and when I hear his voice I turn off the radio. He has ruined Sunday Morning as well as those weekday programs he hosts. I do not believe he has been forced and think he relishes the schlock. Twitters, tweets, texts, emails. Does not deliver reputation just drivel.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X