X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... on Private Passions it was Olivia Williams. Who was not uninteresting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Williams
    Aye, 'appen

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      A programme way past its sell-by date. Another example of celebration of the celebrity culture and playing BCs. Who on earth was (sic) the women with the dreary voice who I heard briefly on yesterday's programme?
      'Appen there's summat up with thy radio, lad. T'lass sounded fine to me.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... on Private Passions it was Olivia Williams. Who was not uninteresting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Williams
        Sounded to me what my father would call "rather a madam"...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Sounded to me what my father would call "rather a madam"...

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Desperate programme this morning. He plays a chunk of Debussy's Reflets dans l’eau, then chips in as soon as it finishes telling us about texting and tweeting, not a breath of information about the piece. Where is the education in all of this? Then we have an interminable fandango, and chatting about Burns and the news (why do we need news on R3 when it is done so much better on R4?).

I'm off to work, anything is better than this
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Where is the education in all of this?
              is education in the remit ?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                I'm off to work, anything is better than this
                I saw this post and turned on R3, the first piece he played after the news was Monteverdi's Oh God come to my assistance Well, it made me laugh

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>I'm off to work, anything is better than this

Well errr ...

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    is education in the remit ?
                    Yes.

"Around its core proposition of classical music, its speech-based programming should inform and educate the audience about music and culture."
                    [...]
                    "The service should aim to educate audiences about music, broadcasting a wide range of programmes that expose listeners to new and sometimes challenging material they may not otherwise experience."

Radio 3 Service Licence, April 2011
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      its speech-based programming
                      I wouldn't have thought there was much speech-based programming on R3. Isn't it primarily a music-based station?

I'm sure Forum members could recommend a book on Debussy piano music to Flay.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

On the other hand, there's a lot more chat than there was.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          I wouldn't have thought there was much speech-based programming on R3. Isn't it primarily a music-based station?
                          And secondarily both speech-based programmes and (arts) speech programmes. But there is less now as the DQF proposals for R3 included cutting back on 'music talks' which I imagine includes the reduction to Discovering Music (and Jazz Library?). It might mean fewer Saturday lunchtime music features (the ones that alternate with Music Matters) as they are relatively expensive.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Aubade

I also hate the trailers, news snippets, texts and the other interactivity stuff. I don't want heavy stuff for breakfast but what most rends my heart is all the amputation: movements ripped from context and played bleeding from both ends. Very upset the other day at the C Major prelude that opens the 48, played with lots of sustain and touch, then babbling DJ instead of the Fugue. I was stunned.

Having said that, I am uneasy about shooting the messengers both on Breakfast and elsewhere. I am not a fan of Mr Cowan but the other presenters often bring great musical knowledge and insight. They are just doing what the Director and the Producers are telling them to do.

For example, I can remember shouting at SMP when she first started for "The Messiah" (twice!) and "gonna hear" and "the pianist Alfred Brendel". However, she soon developed into my preferred Breakfast presenter until the production antics started to drag her into The Realms of Irritation.

Incidentally, I am new here (following Charlie Moore's Speccie piece). Anyone recognise my nom de pseud from a gentler age?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Aubade View Post
                              They are just doing what the Director and the Producers are telling them to do.
                              Now, where have we heard that before: "Vee ver only obeying orders from ze commanding officer"?

Sorry, Aubade, but that won't wash: they either are fully on board with management, or what a spineless bunch of lily-livered jobsworths they must be. Martin Handley and Jonathan Swain show how to present without resort to endless banality. Therefore, I think we are letting the others off lightly if we say all this schoolgirl gushing is demanded of them with a loaded gun to their temples.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Incidentally, I am new here

Aubade, a warm welcome to this curious place

>>Anyone recognise my nom de pseud

Are you Philip Larkin ?

Comment

Working...
                                X