The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I don't have a problem with Rob's Essential Classics but I think they could drop the Guest spot. I haven't heard it this week with the astronomer but I think, rather than two choices of music, cut it down to one choice and a 10 minute explanation of quarks. Or something mysterious in the solar system (you can tell I am not a scientist) ditto the mathematician they had, a talk about the importance of prime numbers in Gamelan would be cool.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Yesterday my (our?) ears were assailed for a few minutes by a track from an apparently well-known blues singer called Bert Jansch who has just died. Much as I respect whatever gifts he gave to the blues world and to his fans, I really cannot understand why SMP saw fit to include such an unsuitable piece amongst the rest of her selections. Tributes are all very well, but honestly, should one of today's respected classical composers or performers die, would Radio 1 or 2 find time to include a few minutes of their work into their pop/rock programmes? The answer is most definitely no and once again we see another hypocritical example of our being expected to appreciate other music whilst the pop/rock lobby are not supposed to do the same. It truly is inverted snobbery.
      This argument reminds me of those who say, "Why is it that our Christian religion is the only one being targetted by the PC lobby, when the mosques are allowed to get away for example with homophobia?" It shouldn't come down in the final analysis on comparisons, but on "our side" arguing for and maintaining its own standards being what the debate on R3 should be about, regardless.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

MickyD,

Jansch is played on Radio 3.
        But sorry your poor bloody ears were " assailed "

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

"gardening" was a reference to a track before the bl**dy rodeo Caliban
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            MickyD,

Jansch is played on Radio 3.
            But sorry your poor bloody ears were " assailed "
            No need to feel sorry, Paul - of course I fully accept that you can't please everyone all the time. The point I was trying to make in my post was that other radio networks such as Radio 1 would be most unlikely to play similar tribute pieces from the usual Radio 3 stable of composers/performers and I would just like to hear the reasons why.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

No need to feel sorry, Paul - of course I fully accept that you can't please everyone all the time. The point I was trying to make in my post was that other radio networks such as Radio 1 would be most unlikely to play similar tribute pieces from the usual Radio 3 stable of composers/performers and I would just like to hear the reasons why.
              But it is what is played on Radio 3, not Radio 1 that concerns us here.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                • Nov 2010

Indeed. I wondered this the other day when the death of David Beford was announced. As he had collaborated with Mike Oldfield on a number of occasions - "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Star's End" (both still in my LP collection) - I would have thought he might have merited a play on R1. As I am not a listener to R1 these days I have no way of knowing but I can probably guess that the answer was no.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

BBC music broadcasting being ghettoised the way it is and dominated in the daytime largely by commercial playlists would lead
                  to Bert Jansch being unknown to the vast majority of listeners to Radio 1. But he would have been a part of the lives of many Radios 2, 3, 4 and 6 listeners. And all of those stations have marked his passing in an appropriate way, I'm pleased to say.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                    Indeed. I wondered this the other day when the death of David Beford was announced. As he had collaborated with Mike Oldfield on a number of occasions - "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Star's End" (both still in my LP collection) - I would have thought he might have merited a play on R1. As I am not a listener to R1 these days I have no way of knowing but I can probably guess that the answer was no.
                    My guess is the R1 demographic would not be interested in David Bedford and Mike Oldfields's collaborative work from the 1970s. Radio 2 would have been a different matter, however.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      "gardening" was a reference to a track before the bl**dy rodeo Caliban
                      Oh I see.... well, I didn't hear that because my try-out of 'Breakfast' was far too short - I switched on, heard Sara Less-Nectarine announce "Rodeo" from "Buckaroo Holiday" [sic. ] and promptly switched off...

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I don't have a problem with Rob's Essential Classics but I think they could drop the Guest spot.
                      YES! And save the cost of the fee.

I wonder if Frenchie can find out what the fee is for the week's contributions by their celebby guests. Maybe it's done as a vanity thing. I'd appear free
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 07-10-11, 14:37. Reason: Adding steam. Toot-toot...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Sara Less-Nectarine

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

I'd appear free [/COLOR]
                          ....................and that we'd all listen too! Although wall to wall DDS??????

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I wonder if Frenchie can find out what the fee is for the week's contributions by their celebby guests. Maybe it's done as a vanity thing. I'd appear free
                            Highly unlikely. The BBC doesn't discuss payments to individuals.

I'm slightly surprsied that the appearances haven't coincided with the publication of the guest's latest book, in which case, of course, their guestdom would be free
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

I can’t remember if there was a thread dedicated to Sunday Morning but I’ve just found this. Honestly! Wherever did they get the idea?
                              Johann Christian Bach — Artaserse – Perche tarda e mai la morte
                              Performers: Philippe Jaroussky (baritone)
                              Le Cercle de l'Harmonie, Jérémie Rhorer (director)

Oh! And iPlayer has just stopped.

[ed] Ah, found it. It’s on the Essential Classics?? thread. mercia mentions a listener’s reminiscences about Solomon. Yes, this was more like one of those letters Humphrey Carpenter used to read out on his listeners’ request programme (iplayer is back). It’s about music/performer and not about the listener him/herself. I don’t mind this sort of ‘interaction’, as long as it is read by the presenter and not phoned in. And yes too, the programme looks good. I’ll listen to it from the beginning tomorrow.
                              Last edited by doversoul1; 09-10-11, 21:55.

Comment

• Anna

Just seen, on FaceBook, message from R3 re sarky comments being posted:

May I address this thought to everyone who uses this Facebook page? We think it might encourage more people to post on the page, and help build a wider community of interest, if people were able to feel that their posts might perhaps be met with less sarcasm and fewer bursts of aggression. It's an open forum, of course, and that's a good thing - but it would be a shame if this became a place where angels did rather fear to tread ... Graeme (Radio 3 Interactive)

Would that be from the lovely Graeme who used to Host the long-ago and far-away Classical Music MB at R3?

Comment

Working...
                                X