X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

No . I'm one of those who simply never took to Breakfast** from the very beginning. Some awful features have gone, others have arrived. The presenter, if not exactly 'all', is certainly far too much for me. And the critical/intellectual/informed quality is just not there.

** I did however listen to it many, many times for research purposes
    I know I will have been told this many, many times before, but when did the hated Breakfast and/or the move to bleeding chunks happen …. ???? Apologies I am very old and from a NE backwater …….

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

<Cough> Could I make the point here that quoting a post number is no use to those of us who use the Latest Activity view? In order to check 11002 i had to change to POSTS and scroll through several pages. 11002 seems to be one from you which reads "Hurrah!" I wondered whether quoting the figures 27 and 34 referred to my own references to the number of pieces played, since it makes exactly the same point as I've been making.
      It was one of my posts replying to one of yours

And yet .. you tune in, which is all they want you to do. You may switch off in exasperation, but for all they know that's when you have to leave for work.

I know, awful isn't it? It so happens that it suits me at that time of day, since for various reasons(pain being one) I welcome the undemanding distraction and the chance of hearing something new to me or a bit of interesting information, which does still happen, despite the encroachment of the various forms of Beeb self promotion. It's not what I want for the rest of the day though, which is why I switch off now at 9-30 - preferably using the off switch... There are quite often items I would like to listen to in the afternoon, but I can't be doing with trying to guess when they might come on.
      I apologise for adding a number to the wrong metric, but it is counter-balanced perhaps by not being a number any more for the rest of the day, (and most evenings) since I am now largely an exR3 listener.​

The lack of post numbers once logged in is an irritation, but I suppose one advantage of my approach to using the forum is that I read the posts before deciding whether to log in, so can make a note of the post number, if I'm sufficiently organised - doesn't always work!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Thank you.
        By way of "balance" to your figures(cough,cough)
        Wigmore Hall on Classical Live 30 Sep: 21 items, and 7th October 20 items, in both cases a one hour slot...
        It's not the number that's important of course.
        Might either of those been a song recital? In any event, I've now finally given up on Breakfast and from now on will probably use BBC Sounds to cherry-pick more substantial and/or hopefully interesting unfamiliar items from Through The Night and (possibly) Classical Live. The list of daytime programmes on Radio 3 that I now tune into regularly is now very short!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          I know I will have been told this many, many times before, but when did the hated Breakfast and/or the move to bleeding chunks happen …. ???? Apologies I am very old and from a NE backwater …….
          <sigh> If I remember, Breakfast took over from Morning on 3 in 2007, with Rob Cowan and SM-P This was with the full monty of Your Call, tweet us@, tell us what you think. But in honesty I produced a cartoon strip before that (2003) of Penny Gore (then presenting Mo3), with all sorts of announcements, news headlines read by, time checks, 90-93FM and on digital radio, time checks and and .... and RW then asking her to slow down a bit and they could ditch a couple more music tracks per hour.

The problem is that if part of what you get suits you well enough, you have to accept the whole lot as a package. The alternative is a different approach, a different vision. Tinkering each time there's a new controller doesn't improve matters dramatically (if at all - sometimes they have a good idea).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

It was one of my posts replying to one of yours
            According to my view, 11002, on p 276 (currently), is LMcD quoting Old Grumpy's post linking to the announcement about Emma Clarke and replying Hurrah!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

According to my view, 11002, on p 276 (currently), is LMcD quoting Old Grumpy's post linking to the announcement about Emma Clarke and replying Hurrah!
              I have sometimes referenced a previous post using the hashtag/post number, and it hadn't occurred to me that the changeover rendered this inconvenient depending on at what point one logged in; so thanks for this piece of advice.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

I've just checked back and what was 11002 is now showing as 11001 on page 734, but I've just remembered that I later deleted a duplicate post on another reply so that's why the number has changed. Neither is anywhere near OG and Emma Clarke though.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I've just checked back and what was 11002 is now showing as 11001 on page 734, but I've just remembered that I later deleted a duplicate post on another reply so that's why the number has changed. Neither is anywhere near OG and Emma Clarke though.
                  This is what I see (it suggests that quoting numbers isn't very good even if people are using the POSTS view; the number links ought to work but I find they don't.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Might either of those been a song recital? In any event, I've now finally given up on Breakfast and from now on will probably use BBC Sounds to cherry-pick more substantial and/or hopefully interesting unfamiliar items from Through The Night and (possibly) Classical Live. The list of daytime programmes on Radio 3 that I now tune into regularly is now very short!
                    One was, yes, and the item count was high because of not doing complete sets of songs... To be fair I should add that was because the programme had an avian theme so suitable songs were taken from various sources, rather than performing complete sets of songs.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

To my sleepy southern ears at 0630 today as I rose blissfully from the depths of slumber the voice of the presenter on Breakfast sounded so exactly like that of Elizabeth A that I thought she must be standing in for the new presenter. On further listening I can hear the differences between Emma C and Elizabeth - but it's a close call.

However I'm enjoying the script - whoever wrote it....

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        However I'm enjoying the script - whoever wrote it....
                        Is whoever wrote the trailer for the upcoming Tallis Scholars concert sure that Saffron Hall is in Suffolk?

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Feed the birds tuppance a bog ?

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Feed the birds tuppance a bog ?

Good news, surely, for the gulls in Looe harbour.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Good news, surely, for the gulls in Looe harbour.
                              Pull the other one!

Comment

Working...
                              X