• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Six thirty a.m., Broadcasting house, London, England:
    So Hannah French back-announces the last item of TTN - Ave Maris Stella by Johann Stadlmayr (died c1648 since you ask)... and then we're into a minute of insane orchestral segues and Jules Holland (is it?) yelling about his programme before Hannah can say who she is, what programme she's presenting, introduce the newsreader and all that.

THIS IS AN INSANE, INSULTING APPROACH TO YOUR LISTENERS MR JACKSON.

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!
    Speaking, ahem, as a one-time marketing person, I don''t think these R3 adverts are very good anyway. (And the grapes taste fine, btw.)

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post

well done ff ,, it is very, very irritating and is, I would guess, a directive from Wacko
      Thanks, Anton; I'll go back on the pills, I think.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

You have my full permission, if you so choose, ff. As you will note, it was written almost three hours later, and I still felt the same.

Actually Hanna F more or less swallowed her name as she began her intro, as though ashamed to be in on this farrago.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

By popular request :-) sent to CR3, the DG and bcc'd to the Kernel, subject title Frayed nerves:

Dear Mr Jackson
          Friends of Radio 3 finally gave up its campaigning as a lost battle - before your time - when Radio 3 ("the UK's leading cultural broadcaster") introduced Tearjerker, Happy Harmonies, Piano Flow and similar programmes into its schedules. And when presenters who knew little or nothing about classical music were recruited to present ... classical music programmes. Many of us decided that, after decades of listening, Radio 3 was no longer directed at us, nor did it care whether we listened or not. Eventually patience snaps: this was posted on the R3 forum this morning:

[Here the Kernel's post]

Other changes which have prompted regular complaints on the R3 forum include:

the endless, intrusive programme trails
          the relegation of Record Review from its Saturday slot to a listening backwater
          the ditching of most of the Lunchtime Concerts
          the almost inevitable short extracts rather than the complete works
          the replacement of informative presentation by relaxed triviality
          Radio 2 programmes (Jools Holland, Friday Night Is Music Night) moved to Radio 3

To be truly 'inclusive', Radio 3 should cater for the informed, serious, intelligent audience for the arts and culture who happen to enjoy classical music. That used to be the station's raison d'être.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Damn - forgot to include Afternoon Concert as was.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              By popular request :-) sent to CR3, the DG and bcc'd to the Kernel, subject title Frayed nerves:

Dear Mr Jackson
              Friends of Radio 3 finally gave up its campaigning as a lost battle - before your time - when Radio 3 ("the UK's leading cultural broadcaster") introduced Tearjerker, Happy Harmonies, Piano Flow and similar programmes into its schedules. And when presenters who knew little or nothing about classical music were recruited to present ... classical music programmes. Many of us decided that, after decades of listening, Radio 3 was no longer directed at us, nor did it care whether we listened or not. Eventually patience snaps: this was posted on the R3 forum this morning:

[Here the Kernel's post]

Other changes which have prompted regular complaints on the R3 forum include:

the endless, intrusive programme trails
              the relegation of Record Review from its Saturday slot to a listening backwater
              the ditching of most of the Lunchtime Concerts
              the almost inevitable short extracts rather than the complete works
              the replacement of informative presentation by relaxed triviality
              Radio 2 programmes (Jools Holland, Friday Night Is Music Night) moved to Radio 3

To be truly 'inclusive', Radio 3 should cater for the informed, serious, intelligent audience for the arts and culture who happen to enjoy classical music. That used to be the station's raison d'être.
              Well done.

P.S. You also forgot to ask for a signed photo

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

And I've had a kind acknowledgement from his PA - whom I knew in the old days when she was RW's PA. Yes, a signed photo iof SJ n his tight jeans would have been good.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

And I've had a kind acknowledgement from his PA - whom I knew in the old days when she was RW's PA. Yes, a signed photo iof SJ n his tight jeans would have been good.
                  Compared to now, the RW era seems like the Halcyon days of R3... I wonder if she was also PA to AD (affable, chubby, moon-faced)?

Would this do? Sans jeans, I'm afraid.
                  Sam J propping up the wall

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                    Compared to now, the RW era seems like the Halcyon days of R3... I wonder if she was also PA to AD (affable, chubby, moon-faced)?

Well ar least he's not spaffing up a wall as BoJo would...

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

That provoked a tremor of apprehension, fortunately unwarranted. He doesn't look exactly at ease in that picture - too close to heavy level culture?
                      Perhaps we should become modern day sans-culottes? Rather than disadvantaged social status we are suffering disadvantaged cultural status.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        That provoked a tremor of apprehension, fortunately unwarranted. He doesn't look exactly at ease in that picture - too close to heavy level culture?
                        Perhaps we should become modern day sans-culottes? Rather than disadvantaged social status we are suffering disadvantaged cultural status.
                        Because he's looking out of place with no mates or fawning admirers?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Because he's looking out of place with no mates or fawning admirers?
                          And avoiding the Prommers?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Kudos! I've had quite a lengthy reply which I'll share when I've taken it all in. A dialogue may ensue, we may get some 'improvement' (from our perspective). And we may not. Looooong years of disappointment can make one a trifle cynical But stay tuned ...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Kudos! I've had quite a lengthy reply which I'll share when I've taken it all in. A dialogue may ensue, we may get some 'improvement' (from our perspective). And we may not. Looooong years of disappointment can make one a trifle cynical But stay tuned ...
                              Congratulations!!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

As Pulcinella said, congratulations FF, and to kernelbogey for exploding so graphically.

Comment

Working...
                                X