• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    AG, when was this tempter on?
    Today on Threads where she tells me as a follower that we are Thriends or some such ……. !!!!!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      “Hi it's Emma. I'm just writing my show for this week's Saturday breakfast on BBC Radio 3, and there's a bit where I have to say “this is Radio 3 and I'm Emma Clarke” and honestly it's going to take all the self control in the world not to go AARRGHH! WOOO! or just scream. It's just incredible! Tune in if you can. Saturday morning 0630.”
      It's the way of the (young) world. Not much point in saying: "Grow up". No one grows up these days. And the worst of them are phone zombies and social media addix, completely oblivious of living human beings around them Words like 'human', 'humanity' and 'humanitarian' become more and more meaningless

PS I think EC is 53.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        Today on Threads where she tells me as a follower that we are Thriends or some such ……. !!!!!
        Thanks, I've found it.
        Oh joy unbounded, you can listen to those words wot she wrote - sadly no bouncing ball to watch, but it does track the text. How useful.

Hi it's Emma. I'm just writing my show for this week's Saturday breakfast on BBC Radio 3, and there's a bit where I have to say “this is Radio 3 and I'm Emma Clarke” and honestly it's going to take all the self control in the world not to go AARRGHH! WOOO! or just scream. It's just incredible! Tune in if you can. Saturday morning 0630.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

PS She's also a comedy writer
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            PS She's also a comedy writer
            Hoping for some wry R3 comments.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

It's the way of the (young) world. Not much point in saying: "Grow up". No one grows up these days. And the worst of them are phone zombies and social media addix, completely oblivious of living human beings around them Words like 'human', 'humanity' and 'humanitarian' become more and more meaningless

PS I think EC is 53.
              I am reassured - three weeks on from a just stopped in time blazing row with one of my longest lasting friend's suddenly exploding with rage over a restaurant table at my views on so-called social media - to discover that most of my current co-thinkers I go to for political resets in the arts and culture world are at best in two minds about social media. I guess though one has to try and differentiate mobile phones from the internet as an invaluable source of not only information, but wise intelligent people's advice on where and when to draw lines. After all, where would one be, were it not for sites such as this forum? Answer? probably spending useful time in the libraries and bookshops, pubs and eateries which would still be open and providing jobs were it not for the compulsions of, and compulsory insistence, on possessing mobile phones. Only yesterday was I stopped from obtaining some information by having my landline phone number not recognised.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Thanks, I've found it.
                Oh joy unbounded, you can listen to those words wot she wrote - sadly no bouncing ball to watch, but it does track the text. How useful.

https://www.threads.net/@emmabclarke...grmAIxn1?hl=en
                If I do tune in, I'll make sure I keep the volume well down,

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  ....I guess though one has to try and differentiate mobile phones from the internet as an invaluable source of not only information, but wise intelligent people's advice on where and when to draw lines....:
                  I've been reflecting that they're no longer 'mobile phones', but, in effect, mobile micro-computers.

Does anyone know where that wonderful 'Wun Turnip' cartoon was posted?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I've been reflecting that they're no longer 'mobile phones', but, in effect, mobile micro-computers.

Does anyone know where that wonderful 'Wun Turnip' cartoon was posted?
                    Was it this one, courtesy of John Shea?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

It was, it was!! And I didn't even have to identify bits of the Albert Hall in a grid to get it!

Daisy, Daisy, give me an answer do....

Thanks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Was it this one, courtesy of John Shea?
                        https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/pl...lees#post22925
                        I either missed that cartoon or wasn't sophisticated/experienced enough to have got it back then!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Six thirty a.m., Broadcasting house, London, England:
                          So Hannah French back-announces the last item of TTN - Ave Maris Stella by Johann Stadlmayr (died c1648 since you ask)... and then we're into a minute of insane orchestral segues and Jules Holland (is it?) yelling about his programme before Hannah can say who she is, what programme she's presenting, introduce the newsreader and all that.

THIS IS AN INSANE, INSULTING APPROACH TO YOUR LISTENERS MR JACKSON.

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Six thirty a.m., Broadcasting house, London, England:
                            So Hannah French back-announces the last item of TTN - Ave Maris Stella by Johann Stadlmayr (died c1648 since you ask)... and then we're into a minute of insane orchestral segues and Jules Holland (is it?) yelling about his programme before Hannah can say who she is, what programme she's presenting, introduce the newsreader and all that.

THIS IS AN INSANE, INSULTING APPROACH TO YOUR LISTENERS MR JACKSON.

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!
                            I feel moved to copy this (unattributed, natch) in an email to SJ. cc'd to the DG perhaps?

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

I feel moved to copy this (unattributed, natch) in an email to SJ. cc'd to the DG perhaps?
                              well done ff ,, it is very, very irritating and is, I would guess, a directive from Wacko

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

You have my full permission, if you so choose, ff. As you will note, it was written almost three hours later, and I still felt the same.

Actually Hanna F more or less swallowed her name as she began her intro, as though ashamed to be in on this farrago.

Comment

Working...
                                X