Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

By chance I listened to 'Breakfast' this morning (Sarah Walker) while in the kitchen for an hour. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. I even wondered if she had taken on board some of our criticisms.

I suppose the idea of playing just the third movement of VW5 was to entice listeners who might baulk at the whole symphony into giving it a go. I must admit it was hearig this movement on the old BBC Music Programme in the 1960s (just before Radio 3 began) that got me listenong to VW's symphonies,though that was part of a complete performance. So I wonder whether this actually works. At any rate, hearig it isolated from the faster movements before and after it made it sound too slow, even plodding, to me, which I know this performance isn't , when heard complete.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      By chance I listened to 'Breakfast' this morning (Sarah Walker) while in the kitchen for an hour. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. I even wondered if she had taken on board some of our criticisms.

I suppose the idea of playing just the third movement of VW5 was to entice listeners who might baulk at the whole symphony into giving it a go. I must admit it was hearig this movement on the old BBC Music Programme in the 1960s (just before Radio 3 began) that got me listenong to VW's symphonies,though that was part of a complete performance. So I wonder whether this actually works. At any rate, hearig it isolated from the faster movements before and after it made it sound too slow, even plodding, to me, which I know this performance isn't , when heard complete.
      Wasn't Sarah Walker doing "Sunday Morning"?
      I hope she has as well... 27 pieces in 3 hours, I'd guess they're ~6mins each on average allowing for chat. Although RVW5 Romanza: Lento looks to be ~11mins.

Ashamed to admit I don't know VW5. I'll try and listen on Naxos Music Library when Sainte-Colombe's Pièces de viole finishes. But it's your recommendation, I hasten to add, not Sarah Walker's that's tempted me...

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Well, I have to say that I am currently in a lovely old stone villa in Crete with a wonderful view over the wine-dark sea, so I guess I was understandably well disposed towards the programme this morning ! My French husband, who is not that much of a classical enthusiast, thoroughly enjoyed the mix, however bizarre it was! It was good for background music whilst we took in the view.

I have been grateful to the presenter in recent weeks of bringing nice discoveries to my ear. One being that lovely Catherine Bott piece this morning.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Well, I have to say that I am currently in a lovely old stone villa in Crete with a wonderful view over the wine-dark sea, so I guess I was understandably well disposed towards the programme this morning ! My French husband, who is not that much of a classical enthusiast, thoroughly enjoyed the mix, however bizarre it was! It was good for background music whilst we took in the view.

I have been grateful to the presenter in recent weeks of bringing nice discoveries to my ear. One being that lovely Catherine Bott piece this morning.
          That lovely Catherine Bott is on Radio 3 at 1915 BST this evening presenting a programme celebrating the centenary of the birth of Ernest Tomlinson.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            WIt was good for background music whilst we took in the view..
            And, of course, there is a place for 'background music': people want it and Radio 3 supplies it. It's just not much good for people like me who want music to listen to (attentively) or they don't listen at all. There are alternatives but the BBC doesn't cater for them (and technically, yes, I am a licence fee payer even if I don't have, or need, a licence).

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

I do agree with you, FF, despite my liking the Sunday Breakfast show. Things have really gone downhill for the most part. That's why France Musique is my main go to station, it's like R3 once was in terms of serious content.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                Wasn't Sarah Walker doing "Sunday Morning"?
                I hope she has as well... 27 pieces in 3 hours, I'd guess they're ~6mins each on average allowing for chat. Although RVW5 Romanza: Lento looks to be ~11mins.

Ashamed to admit I don't know VW5. I'll try and listen on Naxos Music Library when Sainte-Colombe's Pièces de viole finishes. But it's your recommendation, I hasten to add, not Sarah Walker's that's tempted me...
                There's a fine BBC MM recording of VW5, and Vernon Handley is also a favourite of mine.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

You're quite right, of course, Aunt Daisy. It was Sunday Morning I was listening to. I so rarely listen to Radio 3 at weekends (for reasons we've often discussed here) that I didn't even know there was a programme of that name! Maybe it shows how similar they are. Over the years they've been called Aubade, Morning Concert,etc, etc. Snippets,,trailers and small talk.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    There's a fine BBC MM recording of VW5, and Vernon Handley is also a favourite of mine.
                    Was that the Andrew Davis / BBC SO VW5 from the 2007 Proms? Trying the Vernon Handley CFP on NML...

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    Catherine Bott presented a 'Light Fantastic' programme on Eric Coates in 2014.
                    Was it this one - CB was both presenter & singer? https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/p00hnzht
                    Wish they'd repeat some of these "older" programmes. We need a R3extra!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Was that the Andrew Davis / BBC SO VW5 from the 2007 Proms? Trying the Vernon Handley CFP on NML...
                      [
                      Tempted to dig that out for another listen: but I fear that the Mass showed the BBC Singers at their worst (imho).

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Tempted to dig that out for another listen: but I fear that the Mass showed the BBC Singers at their worst (imho).
                        Thanks for the Mass un-recommendation, Pulcinella.

I'm enjoying the Vernon Handley CFP - apologies for wandering off "Breakfast" topic.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Thanks for the Mass un-recommendation, Pulcinella.

I'm enjoying the Vernon Handley CFP - apologies for wandering off "Breakfast" topic.

You must make your own judgement: I was brought up on the King's/Willcocks recording (and later the Corydon Singers' version, c/w Howells' Requiem).
                          The Handley is very fine (as are the other pieces on that incarnation of S5).
                          Additional apologies for staying off piste.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Was that the Andrew Davis / BBC SO VW5 from the 2007 Proms?
                            Wish they'd repeat some of these "older" programmes. We need a R3extra!]
                            on both counts. I also have Haitink's box set of the symphonies and other orchestral works.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Wish they'd repeat some of these "older" programmes. We need a R3extra!
                              It already exists:

Last edited by Old Grumpy; 23-09-24, 15:01. Reason: Correction of typo

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

That wasn't quite what I had in mind...

Comment

Working...
                                X