Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Thanks, LMcD. I am quite a fan of Ribblehead viaduct, having crossed it a few times, though I always tell people it's smaller than Stockport viaduct (the largest brick-built structure in Europe, believe it or not) .

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Thanks, LMcD. I am quite a fan of Ribblehead viaduct, having crossed it a few times, though I always tell people it's smaller than Stockport viaduct (the largest brick-built structure in Europe, believe it or not) .
      You want viaduct? This is IT. Believe me. All right, it was an aqueduct and no longer carries traffiic either but ... mon Dieu!

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AHR
        • Mar 2024

I'm sorry to say I've never visited that part of the country except for Carlisle and Berwick. Is it, perhaps, the least-populated , and least well-known part of England?
        My Young and Henderson ancestors visited frequently, always at night.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

You want viaduct? This is IT. Believe me. All right, it was an aqueduct and no longer carries traffiic either but ... mon Dieu!

Seeing pictures of the Pont du Gard always re-awakens the gut churning fear of crossing the damn thing! Something like 60 years ago on a family camping holiday we stayed at a site on the riverbank adjacent to this amazing structure. My father decided that we should do the tourist thing and cross it over the top tier, as was allowed in those days. As a person who has always struggled with even minimal heights this was a problem, with my father refusing to let me wait until the family returned, or to go down and cross along the road and meet them the other side if, as he threatened, they carried on walking once across. Eventually a kind bystander pointed out there was a solution as I could walk inside the water channel and could stick my head up where there were missing capping stones to check where the family had got to. I couldn't bear to watch them so scurried through as quickly as possible. For some reason, when we all met up at the end they decided not to return the way they'd come(even going inside), so we walked back on the road instead. I doubt one is allowed to walk across the top outside now...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Seeing pictures of the Pont du Gard always re-awakens the gut churning fear of crossing the damn thing! Something like 60 years ago on a family camping holiday we stayed at a site on the riverbank adjacent to this amazing structure. My father decided that we should do the tourist thing and cross it over the top tier, as was allowed in those days. As a person who has always struggled with even minimal heights this was a problem, with my father refusing to let me wait until the family returned, or to go down and cross along the road and meet them the other side if, as he threatened, they carried on walking once across. Eventually a kind bystander pointed out there was a solution as I could walk inside the water channel and could stick my head up where there were missing capping stones to check where the family had got to. I couldn't bear to watch them so scurried through as quickly as possible. For some reason, when we all met up at the end they decided not to return the way they'd come(even going inside), so we walked back on the road instead. I doubt one is allowed to walk across the top outside now...
            I have every sympathy . I managed the arrete that leads to the Valleé Blanche run in Chamonix purely because I’d paid a bit of money to do it but I baulked at going up the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Towers at the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Seeing pictures of the Pont du Gard always re-awakens the gut churning fear of crossing the damn thing!
              Horrible experience My memory is of wandering around the garrigue area on one side and seeing a whole flock of goldfinches suddenly fluttering up in alarm out of a tree. And the smell of herbs drying in the sun. Magical.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

The first time I crossed it was during a day excursion, organized by Mirror Group Newspapers, in which we were hauled by the Flying Scotsman from Manchester to Carlisle via Hellifield returning via Preston.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

The whole organisation is now led by a former marketing bloke from Pepsi - a product which is complete fat inducing sxxx . I mean a seriously
                  evil product.
                  Although he's probably lost his fizz...

...and may be known as The Flat Controller!

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Thr "big school" in Hexham is the High School. According to Wiki Sir Mark Elder went to primary school (unnamed, possibly in Hexham) but then went to Bryanston School near Blandford Forum in Dorset (which, coincidentally, is also where JEG went...

...)
                    it is indeed OG or the Grammar School as it was in my day ….. thoroughly enjoyed Petroc’s latest travels. … I wonder if, given the reorganisation, it will be his last ….. ?????

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      ….. thoroughly enjoyed Petroc’s latest travels. … I wonder if, given the reorganisation, it will be his last ….. ?????
                      I've been wondering that too, a shame if so. I can't imagine Tom McKinney doing it as well - but happy to be proved wrong!

Comment

• W.Kearns
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Cragside - the first house in the world to have electric lights - is well worth a visit. If you decide to visit Carlisle from the south, I would strongly recommend that you make sure to cross the wonderful Ribblehead Viaduct en route!
                        Excellent advice.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

"For we like sheep" playing now on Breakfast

I always mishear it...

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                            "For we like sheep" playing now on Breakfast

I always mishear it...
                            Not title you would find on a veggie/vegan playlist one assumes...

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

'For we like sheep have gone astray' - rather like a certain BBC channel?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I’m afraid I always hear it more perversely, not unconnected with certain outrageous slurs and libels uttered against the Welsh…
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X