X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    I feared we’d have to pay the price for two double-Handley weekends earlier this summer
    I think I prefer EA to G&S!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      No, I’ll take two hours of Ruddigore any day of the week, even at breakfast, thanks.

(Was trying to work in a Penny Gore pun but didn’t want to drift off-topic… )
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

……. and I, being a half wit, prefer EA to the semi conductor

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Chalk and cheese, old boy, chalk and cheese.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Easily explained. You look for something totally different in presenters and presentation. And in radio programmes.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

W.S. Gilbert's puns were intended to make you squirm a little, but I don't think Ms Alker has that deliberate intention.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

No, I’ll take two hours of Ruddigore any day of the week, even at breakfast, thanks.

(Was trying to work in a Penny Gore pun but didn’t want to drift off-topic… )
                Matter of personal taste but I find most G&S Ruddy awful, though Sullivan wrote some really good music!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Matter of personal taste but I find most G&S Ruddy awful, though Sullivan wrote some really good music!
                  A lot of things are not suitable for Breakfast, but they still get served up. My sine qua non is intelligent, informative presentation focused on an imaginative selection of 'classical. music. Which sums up why I don't listen.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    A lot of things are not suitable for Breakfast, but they still get served up. My sine qua non is intelligent, informative presentation focused on an imaginative selection of 'classical. music. Which sums up why I don't listen.

That is what you get from MH & his producer of a Sunday, though, imvvvho

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

But they're only bits of music not full works...
                      I like MH's voice and that is the primary problem I have with EA. Her choice of music isn't at the top of my wish list but it does at least introduce me to things I wouldn't otherwise hear, but I'm afraid I find her difficult to make out(not her accent, just something about the voice and the way the sound seems rather muffled and muddled at times) so her programmes are rather hard work. Not what I'm wanting on a Sunday morning which, unless I'm at work, is a time when I choose to indulge myself instead of being dutiful.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I'm sure so. I suppose it's a matter of the morning routine being ruptured. Otherwise, Sundays aren't a lot different from any other day: I get up, I get on with whatever I plan to do. The radio doesn't get switched on.

I can't see much on yesteday's programme that I would be pleased to be introduced to - just a lot of pieces which, as far as I already know what they are, I wouldn't want to be listening to. Having a presenter like Elizabeth Alker just excuses a lot of stuff I would welcome not be on there. This isn't a judgement on their excellence; it's just that the entire programme is punctuated by works I don't want to have to listen to. And I have no confidence that I would hear anything insightful about Zavateri's Violin Concerto.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I don't listen on Saturdays, but wanting the news, caught a bit of 'New Faith' by Daniel Avery, consisting of seven chords repeated for several minutes over a kind of white noise in slow crescendo. I wondered what it was doing on R3 Breakfast, but Ms Alker claimed it was 'gorgeous and banging'. Hmm.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

'Gorgeus and banging' reminds me of the fulsome remarks that follow items on the 'New Music Show', many of them ripe for Pseud's Corner. After 15 minutes of someone thrashing a birdcage she says 'I loved the delicate tracery and subtly-dark nuances...'
                            Last edited by smittims; 06-11-22, 09:32.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I don't listen on Saturdays, but wanting the news, caught a bit of 'New Faith' by Daniel Avery, consisting of seven chords repeated for several minutes over a kind of white noise in slow crescendo. I wondered what it was doing on R3 Breakfast, but Ms Alker claimed it was 'gorgeous and banging'. Hmm.
                              May I refer my Honourable Friend to my earlier answer elsewhere…

Plus both Breakfasts are no-go areas next weekend (pass me the Alker-Seltzer ).

Anyway, gone are the days when one could switch on R3 without checking the schedule first for Unwelcome Sounds…

(Sorry, anton! )

Comment

• seabright
                                • Jan 2013

I may be in a minority of one but I've given up listening to Breakfast ever since they played a Mahler symphony slow movement and launched straight into Fats Waller singing "Ain't Misbehavin'" ... Now I go on-line and check the programme details once the broadcast is over and am content to say that I don't think I missed much after all!

Comment

Working...
                                X