X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Well if I heard correctly - giving 'Lizzie' the benefit of the doubt while I made an early morning drive to retrieve a mislaid phone charger - we had a couple of dedications this morning to dogs. Well I suppose it is some consolation that at least there are dogs listening to Saturday Breakfast. Did they have views on the correct tempo for a Scott Joplinn piece? I was unable to hang on for the answer to this.

Well even St Martin got told off last Sunday by a grumpy chap from Norfolk who wrote 'Play some classical music - that's what you're there for'. Well presumably there's no pooch to insist to him on listening on Saturday too.
    Last Sunday was EA - we had double helpings that w/end... I think it might have been Nov 7th. I only caught the tailend of the reprimand and don't think I heard what caused it but looking at the playlist there were only 2 pieces as far as I can see that could be considered "not classical" (in the core R3 output sense) unless one is being very narrowly focused.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      I actually tried to listen to Breakfast this morning - utter drivel. Inappropriate music for R3, stupid dedications and needless chatter. I gave up and read instead.
      Fortunately the Saturday offering isn't typical of the rest of the week - even for the EA fans that might possibly be too much of a good thing? It certainly would be for those of us who are less enamoured.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        I actually tried to listen to Breakfast this morning - utter drivel. Inappropriate music for R3, stupid dedications and needless chatter. I gave up and read instead.
        The problem seems to be that the other “EA” thinks listeners are stupid and know even less about classical music than she does.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          The problem seems to be that the other “EA” thinks listeners are stupid and know even less about classical music than she does.
          I would avoid the emotive word 'stupid' but, yes, Radio 3's inference (intention?) is that EA's listeners are no more knowledgeable than she is. She has been drafted in primarily to bring in new listeners, not to satisfy the existing ones. That, and living near Salford, are the points in her favour.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I am incredibly stupid …. I think you will find I have never claimed otherwise ……

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              I am incredibly stupid …. I think you will find I have never claimed otherwise ……
              And after all these years of listening to Breakfast........

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I would avoid the emotive word 'stupid' but, yes, Radio 3's inference (intention?) is that EA's listeners are no more knowledgeable than she is. She has been drafted in primarily to bring in new listeners, not to satisfy the existing ones. That, and living near Salford, are the points in her favour.
                More depressing than the dedications to dogs is that, in the section to which I listened, EA was enthusiastically encouraging listeners to text or tweet - a clear return to the culture of Breakfast a few years back, with SMP and Clemmie as presenters - when use of social media was stridently encouraged. And, thank Ford, that has been abandoned by the Suits (for surely it was their Big Idea): so we have very intelligent, music-led weekday commentary from Petroc, Hannah French and others. I would have thought - certainly hoped - that this would suit most listeners, but somebody has decided that there is something different about a Saturday morning audience and that lashings of social media posts are what will hook them to listen to Schubert and Shostakovich.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I never used to listen but my dog always did, and now I'm a reglular listener too (thank you, Toby).
                  Aah... so a dog's breakfast....

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    More depressing than the dedications to dogs is that, in the section to which I listened, EA was enthusiastically encouraging listeners to text or tweet - a clear return to the culture of Breakfast a few years back, with SMP and Clemmie as presenters - when use of social media was stridently encouraged. And, thank Ford, that has been abandoned by the Suits (for surely it was their Big Idea): so we have very intelligent, music-led weekday commentary from Petroc, Hannah French and others. I would have thought - certainly hoped - that this would suit most listeners, but somebody has decided that there is something different about a Saturday morning audience and that lashings of social media posts are what will hook them to listen to Schubert and Shostakovich.
                    So long as it stays on Saturday, and that one outing is sufficient to tick the relevant box, I can live with ( although I don't have to like) it, as that is now the one day of the week when I rarely listen to R3. What would be a concern is if the listener response is seen as a green light to extend "the offer" to other days - ie go back to the bad old days.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      So long as it stays on Saturday, and that one outing is sufficient to tick the relevant box, I can live with ( although I don't have to like) it, as that is now the one day of the week when I rarely listen to R3. What would be a concern is if the listener response is seen as a green light to extend "the offer" to other days - ie go back to the bad old days.
                      I just ignore the patter and the disconnected stuff - most of the music is OK and Croissant Corner expands my knowledge of French music.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I just ignore the patter and the disconnected stuff - most of the music is OK and Croissant Corner expands my knowledge of French music.
                        That's very much my approach. It is an opportunity, as I've remarked previously, to hear music I otherwise wouldn't encounter. Ironically the fact that I don't find the combination of presenter and playlist as "comfortable" as the other days is a good thing as it motivates me to get going on a Saturday morning which often has errands and preparations that need to be done before midday.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Since R3 doesn't see fit to acknowledge it I will mention that I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Hull Minster bells and the Hull Minster choir singing Tallis' "If ye love me" in this morning's Bells slot.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Ironically the fact that I don't find the combination of presenter and playlist as "comfortable" as the other days is a good thing as it motivates me to get going on a Saturday morning which often has errands and preparations that need to be done before midday.
                            One thing that I slightly marvel at is the general(?) assumption that the radio must be on at all, even when the programme isn't greatly to one's taste.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

One thing that I slightly marvel at is the general(?) assumption that the radio must be on at all, even when the programme isn't greatly to one's taste.
                              Well if it was a concert of music I didn't like then I wouldn't have it on, but as I don't know it will all be things I don't want to hear then I consider it worth having on. Even if I'm not actively enjoying what I'm hearing it is preferable to listening to the noises in my head when they are being particularly negative - no I'm not talking "hearing voices" just the sometimes relentless and depressing cycle of negativity, depression and anxiety. Combined with pottering in the garden it serves to remind me that there are good, easy to access things in the world, even if I struggle to see them sometimes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Well if it was a concert of music I didn't like then I wouldn't have it on, but as I don't know it will all be things I don't want to hear then I consider it worth having on. Even if I'm not actively enjoying what I'm hearing it is preferable to listening to the noises in my head when they are being particularly negative - no I'm not talking "hearing voices" just the sometimes relentless and depressing cycle of negativity, depression and anxiety. Combined with pottering in the garden it serves to remind me that there are good, easy to access things in the world, even if I struggle to see them sometimes.
                                You must be out of your brain!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X