X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I think Martin Handley’s finishing piece today was rather overpraised. There are many things I enjoy hearing her sing even in ‘crossover’ but I would question Renee Fleming’s tuning in ‘All the things you are’.
    One of the things she isn't...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
      ... Avro Part's Summa...
      Saw this spelling years ago on a divider-card for the classical discs in a high-street chain CD shop. Asked them for a rear gun-turret for an Avro Lancaster with four Browning machine-guns but they couldn't supply Can you please?
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Saw this spelling years ago on a divider-card for the classical discs in a high-street chain CD shop. Asked them for a rear gun-turret for an Avro Lancaster with four Browning machine-guns but they couldn't supply Can you please?
        Not even played by John Browning?

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          Deep apologies for creating confusion ;; yes I must have confused it with the Airplane manufacturer. I guess I should have spelt his second name correctly as well:: Pärt , or may be Paert.

However I do note that Avro is a known first name, of Indian or African origin: Your name of Avro makes a quick thinker, both philosophical and creative, appreciating
          appreciate music, art, and drama and, given training, could excel in those fields. https://www.kabalarians.com/m/Avro.htm

So perhaps not too far out!

By the way I enjoyed Tom Service's analysis of his music this afternoon.....

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Well....
            Can anyone enlighten me why Elizabeth Alker so frequently starts a sentence with 'well'? (E.g. 'Well yer listening to Radio Three...'). To me it's a really irritating speech mannerism - but since she makes much of her particular northern origin (I think Wigan), is it a dialect thing? Or just one of those new speech mannerisms (cf 'like' et al) for old fogies to moan about?

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Well....
              Can anyone enlighten me why Elizabeth Alker so frequently starts a sentence with 'well'? (E.g. 'Well yer listening to Radio Three...'). To me it's a really irritating speech mannerism - but since she makes much of her particular northern origin (I think Wigan), is it a dialect thing? Or just one of those new speech mannerisms (cf 'like' et al) for old fogies to moan about?
              Whatever the original reason(if any)it won't be helped by the requirement to avoid "dead" space at any cost? A way of filling that dread potential silence while lining up what to say next.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Well....
                Well, I guess it would be regarded as a "filler" at All Saints Academy https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-london-school

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Well....
                  Well, well, well. Perhaps she has sisters called Lacie & Tillie and once lived in a treacle well?

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Well....
                    Nathen kernelbogey I prefer ‘well’ to the ‘so’ which so many use nowadays! As for EA’s choice of music I like most of it except the obligatory ‘unclassified’ untuneful piece. … Bob Dylan’s ‘One too many mornings’ really enjoyed - took me back to where music was at!
                    ‘Are you well?’ is a greeting I use frequently!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

So...........

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Well i rest my case, members of the jury....

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Nathen kernelbogey I prefer ‘well’ to the ‘so’ which so many use nowadays! As for EA’s choice of music I like most of it except the obligatory ‘unclassified’ untuneful piece. … Bob Dylan’s ‘One too many mornings’ really enjoyed - took me back to where music was at!
                          ‘Are you well?’ is a greeting I use frequently!
                          Well ….. so do I cloughers …..

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Well....
                            I don't think it's anything to do with her northernness. I was born and bred in that part of the world, and such mannerisms are no more common there than anywhere else. It's just an irritating affectation to add to all of the others.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Hat's off to Martin Handley for the swift recovery when Brandenburg 5 went wrong just before 8am.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                                Hat's off to Martin Handley for the swift recovery when Brandenburg 5 went wrong just before 8am.
                                And, I think, for an impromptu live trailer for Jenufa to fill the time opened up before the news by the error!

Comment

Working...
                                X