• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Fans of Ms Alker can see her interviewing David Pickard on the Proms Website.
    I was wondering why the subtitles? As a Northerner myself, is it a gentle swipe at our accents

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      I was wondering why the subtitles? As a Northerner myself, is it a gentle swipe at our accents
      For all those foreign Proms visitors...

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        For all those foreign Proms visitors...
        Good point. Is it allowed post-Brexit?

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Good point. Is it allowed post-Brexit?
          Hah! In theory, but in practice...

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
            • Nov 2010

Just to get this off my chest once and for all...

“Rage over a Lost Penny”

TEDIOUS

But seems to be one piece that can be guaranteed to surface way too regularly.
            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
              Just to get this off my chest once and for all...

“Rage over a Lost Penny”

TEDIOUS

But seems to be one piece that can be guaranteed to surface way too regularly.
              Yes it is tedious but it falls into the welcome category of piano pieces that sound flashily difficult but aren’t really unless you play it at Kissinesque speeds.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                Yes it is tedious...
                But less tedious than Sailing By. By several nautical miles.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  Yes it is tedious but it falls into the welcome category of piano pieces that sound flashily difficult but aren’t really unless you play it at Kissinesque speeds.
                  It was the only item I heard on Breakfast which I don't normally tune to nowadays, but the bathroom radio was set to R3. Ok as a novelty, as Beethoven obviously intended (or in my case a background to tooth hygiene), but not a piece one needs to hear that often. The tenuous justification seemed to be that Beethoven had lost something and England had won something.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

I think the regular appearances of 'Sailing By' - one of those pieces one can easily binge on - are a Baldrickian ploy to arouse, and hopefully retain, the interest of devotees of the shipping forecast between the early morning and lunchtime broadcasts.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Yes the only justification I heard for its use is that it can be heard in the wheelhouse of a fishing boat in a “whole Gale of wind “. But as one wag pointed out - isn’t it a bit late by then?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Oh dear.

I tried listening to Breakfast yesterday, but lasted only a few minutes....

Then - no Martin this morning....

I just cannot stand EA's style.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I just cannot stand EA's style.

Yes, no breakfast downloads this weekend here.

Only just started listening to the Sunday 27 June edition so still got a couple of decent ones in hand…
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Yes, no breakfast downloads this weekend here.

Only just started listening to the Sunday 27 June edition so still got a couple of decent ones in hand…
                            Ah but two for me Rumpole …. your poison is my meat …….

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I remember in the early days of FoR3 Jenny Abramsky (then Director of Radio) said, "We want you to share your station with people whose tastes are not your own." Two answers:

1. Radio 3 was not "our" station. It was the station for serious treatment of classical music and the arts. It was authoritative, erudite, educative. When it broadcast jazz it was introduced by people who loved jazz and were very knowledgeable about it (one thing that hasn't changed).

2. People 'whose tastes are not [our] own" didn't want to share "our" station: they wanted to replace it with their own tastes. They just shared the frequency which meant Radio 3 got less. EA on Breakfast is not Radio 3, Essential Classics is hardly recognisable as Radio 3, Piano Flow and Happy Harmonies are definitely NOT Radio 3: they've just been put on Radio 3's frequency.

The latest ONS figures on people who don't use the internet (and therefore don't have access to Sounds) show they are overwhelmingly the elderly and the disabled. Downloads, listening On Demand to avoid what they don't want to listen to, are both unavailable.

But happy days and Happy Harmonies for those who have discovered to their delight that Radio 3 isn't really Radio 3 any longer.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I remember in the early days of FoR3 Jenny Abramsky (then Director of Radio) said, "We want you to share your station with people whose tastes are not your own." Two answers:

1. Radio 3 was not "our" station. It was the station for serious treatment of classical music and the arts. It was authoritative, erudite, educative. When it broadcast jazz it was introduced by people who loved jazz and were very knowledgeable about it (one thing that hasn't changed)…

And there I was, imagining the use of the second person by Radio 3 was a new phenomenon.

There has been plenty of first person intrusion, with presenters falling over themselves to tell listeners their names, and by signing off, thanking listeners for their company, even though it can only be fake sincerity in that their only company has been the sound technician.

Thr second person syndrome has been a characteristic of Suzy Klein, as she continues to push her tired playlist game on ES, though once again I doubt the sincerity, as she hectors the listeners by telling them how/what to think, in a matter somewhere between Ann Robinson and Priti Patel. The word “you” is used almost with derision.

The likes of Antony Hopkins predominantly used the more respectful third person throughout his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X