The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead

James. You took the words out of my mouth. This morning I had to switch off; I just could not listen any more to Sara Mohr-Pietsch's simpering voice.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Welcome, Petrolhead!

Before anyone leaps on you, I'm in the process of preparing guidelines as to how we should (ideally) refer to presenters and their characteristics. For some reason things are very busy this morning so I probably shan't get round to it. So the current situation will prevail for the moment; which is, 'You insulta my favourite presenter, I go round your house and letta your tyres down.' A warning - just in case
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Petrolhead View Post
        James. You took the words out of my mouth. This morning I had to switch off; I just could not listen any more to Sara Mohr-Pietsch's simpering voice.
        For what it's worth: I think she's got a lovely voice. It's what she's required to say that bothers me and, I suspect, many others.

Comment

• old khayyam

When she is describing a piece of music, every line seems interspersed with the words 'it says here'..

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I'm going to request a bit of David Alan Batt. That should free up space on Late Junction.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Welcome, Petrolhead!

Before anyone leaps on you, I'm in the process of preparing guidelines as to how we should (ideally) refer to presenters and their characteristics. For some reason things are very busy this morning so I probably shan't get round to it. So the current situation will prevail for the moment; which is, 'You insulta my favourite presenter, I go round your house and letta your tyres down.' A warning - just in case
              Come on FF "simpering" is hardly libellous is it? FWIW, I agree with Petrolhead. SMP always sounds like an overenthusiastic student buttonholing you into listening to her record collection: "marvellous", "wonderful"; "brilliant" etc, etc, ad nauseum

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                For what it's worth: I think she's got a lovely voice. It's what she's required to say that bothers me and, I suspect, many others.
                Come on OFCAchap, whatever we think of the BBC it's not a soviet dictatorship! SMP is presumably senior enough, and has sufficient backbone not to be bullied into saying and playing things with which she feels uncomfortable. A few high profile resignations from among her colleagues would soon have the BBC top brass asking questions about the R3 leadership I can assure you. The fact that she does nothing of the kind and, in fact, shows every sign of enthusiastically embracing the culture of phone-ins ever since her stint on the late night "Play Misty Wolfgang for Me" earlier this year, tells me she is a paid up member of the "lets dumb R3 down as far as we can" club.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Handy hint - SMP could mean anyone. SM-P is altogether trickier.

Comment

• Petrolhead

Thanks for the warning frank! Let me be more provocative. Rob Cowan gets right up my nose with his happy clappy voice. Jonathan Swain now .... there's someone with just the right voice for us Radio 3 snobs!

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

SMP could mean anyone

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Yes, indeed Mercia. Whatever you do, don't go to Urban Dictionary.

(I think Mr McG is the best btw. I also like Susan S. Sorry but a big thumbs down to SK.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

SiMPering

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

Whatever you do, don't go to Urban Dictionary.
                            red rag to a bull .................. off I go ...........................

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                              A few high profile resignations from among her colleagues would soon have the BBC top brass asking questions about the R3 leadership
                              Well, I don't think it works quite like that. Most of the regular presenters these days (known as 'talent' in broadcasting-speak) are freelance. So, yes, I'm sure a brief will have been agreed and certain things - like phone-ins - will be part of the programme brief. I think it's more: "Do you want the job or don't you. Because if you don't, there are plenty out there who do."

I have rather harboured the hope that there would be a mass-uprising of BBC/R3 staff - as there was on several occasions in the past. I suppose it's just a sign of the iron grip of marketing and competition nowadays.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>Jonathan Swain now .... there's someone with just the right voice for us

petrolhead, anyone

Was that 'im doing continuity last late evening ? Top broadcasting voice, imo.
                                ( likewise that really nice bloke, Andrew McGregor )

Comment

Working...
                                X