X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
    The logic is impeccable, but ultimately it is a subjective view. It seems to me that your view is allied to EA's oft-repeated view that Breakfast should be replaced by complete works.

I enjoyed KM's twists to the Breakfast Programme. Breakfast is rather like a packaged meal that you might buy from Sainsbury's, and KM has repackaged it slightly, with addition of Scottish music, electronic music, Jazz (AACM!), and very importantly, all with a sense of humour. Fine with me!

Presenters are obviously professional employees and do what they are told. They must have a detached view as to the music presented, perhaps not too different from a professional musician playing Eine Kleine Nacht Musik for the umpteentht time.

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

One might suppose that ff is on the S_A side of the breakfast table, then?
      Doesn't sound from FFs post as if she and S_A would be sharing a table if he has been shopping at St. Spree's (as he is wont to do)!

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Enjoy vints ..... but the view is not the same since you southerners demolished the Power Stations

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Is Kateā€™s selection more Haggis and tatties + maybe neeps?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Doesn't sound from FFs post as if she and S_A would be sharing a table if he has been shopping at St. Spree's (as he is wont to do)!
            No, I'm strictly a Coop shopper - but I don't do 'packaged meals' or convenience foods. I should have thought vints would have gone for those, since he described my Swiss maluns dish as 'a faff' (I call it 'cooking').
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              No, I'm strictly a Coop shopper - but I don't do 'packaged meals' or convenience foods. I should have thought vints would have gone for those, since he described my Swiss maluns dish as 'a faff' (I call it 'cooking').
              ... oi!!! ho! !!!

Not so. Proper 'cooking' is of course what we are looking for. If I call the necessary preparation for maluns 'a faff' it's bicoz the amount of time & effort required seems to bear no relation to the interest of the end product.

No packaged or convenience stuff here. Our mantra is the classic one - "real food*, not too much, mostly veg"

* by real = raw produce or cooked chez soi, as little preservative as possible/necessary. There are of course (delicious) exceptions

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... oi!!! ho! !!!
                A hit. A very palpable hit!

If I call the necessary preparation for maluns 'a faff' it's bicoz the amount of time & effort required seems to bear no relation to the interest of the end product.
                It was a 'cultural journey' for me, rather than the preparation of a plain or princely repast. But it was quite tasty I made it again.

Our mantra is the classic one - "real food*, not too much, mostly veg"

* by real = raw produce or cooked chez soi, as little preservative as possible/necessary. There are of course (delicious) exceptions
                My view too, though for me an essential part of 'cooking' is something more than taking raw ingredients (however good) and applying heat (baking, boiling, steaming, grilling, frying). The faff is the essential part. All of which demonstrates (back on topic) why "Breakfast, with Petroc, Georgia, Kate, Ms Alker &c" doesn't delight the palate. Not enough curation.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  I just thought that the picture you painted of brow-beaten and bullied employees might not be accurate for all, and that some of those involved maybe see a valid purpose in what they do, beyond simply paying the bills.
                  Apologies if not all my comments come with an action plan that can be implemented.
                  It would take much more than any "action plan"!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The logic is impeccable, but ultimately it is a subjective view. It seems to me that your view is allied to EA's oft-repeated view that Breakfast should be replaced by complete works.

I enjoyed KM's twists to the Breakfast Programme. Breakfast is rather like a packaged meal that you might buy from Sainsbury's, and KM has repackaged it slightly, with addition of Scottish music, electronic music, Jazz (AACM!), and very importantly, all with a sense of humour. Fine with me!

Presenters are obviously professional employees and do what they are told. They must have a detached view as to the music presented, perhaps not too different from a professional musician playing Eine Kleine Nacht Musik for the umpteentht time.
                    The balance of criticism of this programme has rightly been as much, if not more in terms of its format and content than of its presenters. If the programme didn't exist, it wouldn't need to be presented, non?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Of course, one could argue that they don't have to take on the job in the first place / ... / you may be voting for your own penury; but in the end you can look back and say at least you didn't betray your principles.
                        ... and you, o Serial - in your working life, did you ever have to compromise?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          It's always possible that the people in question (presenters) don't see things in quite the same way as critics of the shows do?
                          The privacy of exchanges I have had, over the years, with certain Radio 3 presenters preclude elaboration from me re that particular insight.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

... and you, o Serial - in your working life, did you ever have to compromise?

Twice

Once, when I took a job in an armaments manufacturing industry.
                            Admittedly that was before I had any principles; later on I supported a cross trade union link proposing "alternative products" in a spears-to-ploughshares type initiative.

The second time, when as a staff rep I did not support a colleague sacked for working to rule when a vote to strike had been defeated in a secret ballot. I had tried my best to persuade him.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The privacy of exchanges I have had, over the years, with certain Radio 3 presenters preclude elaboration from me re that particular insight.
                              The privacy of exchanges I have had, over the years, with certain Radio 3 producers precludes much elaboration from me - except I was surprized at how genuinely enthusiastic they were about certain presenters who I always felt unlistenable-to.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                The balance of criticism of this programme has rightly been as much, if not more in terms of its format and content than of its presenters. If the programme didn't exist, it wouldn't need to be presented, non?
                                Exactement. It's the fact that there are so many short pieces/extracts that makes the presenter's role more prominent. Plus the pauses for programme trails, weather, news and requests from our listeners: all of these have to be found regular spots which makes it impossible to have longer pieces because the interruptions take precedence over the music. That doesn't have to be converted into 'we want full-length symphonies', but I can't tolerate a change of style every six minutes even if all the music is 'mainstream classical'. Saint-Saƫns, Vivaldi, Ravel, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Muhly, Dufay, Adams: all carefully curated to be as disjointed as possible.

And to be really contro-VER-sial, a symphony, concerto or string quartet is already divided up into shorter sections, different tempi and moods. So why are they deemed to be unsuitable for early morning listening? You don't have to stay glued to the radio listening to every movement, and why should you find that essential if you're happy to listen to one isolated movement anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X