• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Wasn’t he in Paris that same April?
    Alyn Shipton offered a Jazz Record Requester the version without Ella Fitzgerald last week - a great shame, I thought. Here is the "complete" version, which I've had since school days:

Count Basie (Ella Fitzgerald voc) - April in Paris (1956) [Clef 89172-A]Recorded flat with proper 78 RPM (BSI) curve applied in Audacity.Enjoy!

The other tracks on that recording feature delightful witty exchanges between Ella and Joe Williams, who also has a recording of this tune from that time with Basie to his name. For me it's the two of them together that works to produce my favourite Basie tracks from any period.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Hannah French is presenting weekday Breakfast from tomorrow. That's good news in my book - an accomplished and listener-friendly presenter. (I can't yet see if she is doing a second week.)

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Hannah French is presenting weekday Breakfast from tomorrow. That's good news in my book - an accomplished and listener-friendly presenter. (I can't yet see if she is doing a second week.)
        Yes I like her too ...... I wonder if she’s to be the new Georgia .......

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          I wonder if she’s to be the new Georgia .......
          I'd guess yes - if she wants to do it. From her biographies it appears as if her teaching posts are now in the past, so I assume broadcasting is now her No 1 role. I wonder what she can do with the job of presenting Breakfast.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I'd guess yes - if she wants to do it. From her biographies it appears as if her teaching posts are now in the past, so I assume broadcasting is now her No 1 role. I wonder what she can do with the job of presenting Breakfast.
            She recently made a very moving programme about her chronic disability - which brings continuous pain. I wonder if the pandemic-generated technology of broadcasting from home will enable her to do this from home, like Martin Handley on Sunday?

My guess is that she will bring a potent combintaion of her academic experience and friendly style to the programme. She wears the former lightly in The Early Music Show and BaL redux.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

I have much enjoyed Hannah French's stewardship of EMS. I think she will make an excellent addition to the Breakfast team. I must admit I was not aware of her medical condition. Her website is well worth a visit: https://www.hannahfrench.com/

OG

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Yes I like her too ...... I wonder if she’s to be the new Georgia .......
                A similar mould?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

So far so great.... I like that Hannah's not made reference so far to standing in for Petroc or similar, which is (a) good and (b) suggests to me that maybe she has taken over Georgia's seat. That would mean I would listen to weekday Breakfast more frequently. Hannah's top notch IMVHV.

Update: HF says she is standing in for Petroc who is 'on a well-earned break', and he will be back next week.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    So far so great.... I like that Hannah's not made reference so far to standing in for Petroc or similar, which is (a) good and (b) suggests to me that maybe she has taken over Georgia's seat. That would mean I would listen to weekday Breakfast more frequently. Hannah's top notch IMVHV.

Update: HF says she is standing in for Petroc who is 'on a well-earned break', and he will be back next week.
                    I thought I heard Petroc say it was Hannah French this week and Kate Molleson next week.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      I thought I heard Petroc say it was Hannah French this week and Kate Molleson next week.
                      Perhaps that's Plan B - or wishful thinking on your part?! The schedules say PT is back next week.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Perhaps that's Plan B - or wishful thinking on your part?! The schedules say PT is back next week.
                        Does this mean that Petroc will be doing 3 weeks out of 4, as against the '2 on, 2 off' that has been the practice up until now?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Hannah French should have been on today. Kate Molleson is presenting in the week beg. 17 May (complete with pic of PT).

I didn't check …
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Does this mean that Petroc will be doing 3 weeks out of 4, as against the '2 on, 2 off' that has been the practice up until now?
                            I always thought he did 3 out of 4 but then I don’t tune in usually until near the end of his prog!

Looks like they’re marketing Hannah’s presence with headings like ‘Hannah’s Classical Mix’ as though it was the next step into R3 for the Tearjerker’s brigade!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Well, Hannah French was on today. No comments?

Looks like they’re marketing Hannah’s presence with headings like ‘Hannah’s Classical Mix’ as though it was the next step into R3 for the Tearjerker’s brigade!
                              They have those headings for all the presenters.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

I always thought he did 3 out of 4 but then I don’t tune in usually until near the end of his prog!
                                Until the recent changes, it was 2 weeks of Petroc alternating with 2 weeks of Georgia.
                                I thought Hannah French was fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X