X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Getting a wee bit concerned by the regular insistence that SK says she is playing 'my favourite this / that'.
    Why such personalisation / ownership?
    Might it not have exactly the opposite impact on including listeners i.e. 'well, mate it may be yours but it ain't mine, so hoppit!'
    Yes she very much "owns" the EC airtime doesn't she.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Getting a wee bit concerned by the regular insistence that SK says she is playing 'my favourite this / that'.
      Under Roger Wright this was encouraged. Before EC began, I think, I queried why there was so much emphasis on crediting the presenter when others* were unnamed, why a photo of the presenter rather than a performer? I mentioned the 'and my next choice for you' or 'and next I'm going to play' routine and he told me it was a good thing for the presenters to feel it was 'their' programme.

*who remembers when the BBC would routinely name the leader, at least of BBC orchestras, when announcing programmes/performances? It happened on the radio - but when I was a child that would have been the Light Programme or Home Service (I wasn't 'privileged' [sic] enough to have known the Third Programme].
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Might it not have exactly the opposite impact on including listeners i.e. 'well, mate it may be yours but it ain't mine, so hoppit!'
        Shouldn’t this be on the EC thread?

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          *who remembers when the BBC would routinely name the leader, at least of BBC orchestras, when announcing programmes/performances? It happened on the radio...
          Yes. Moi.

I'm mildly concerned that on TTN, conductors are sometimes not credited, and occasionally no artists mentioned at all. I hope this is not a trend.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Maybe, BUT it's happening on many R3 music presentations i.e. presenters pretending that what we hear is THEIR fave / choice? Making it 'cosily personal from me to you' stuff.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Under Roger Wright this was encouraged. Before EC began, I think, I queried why there was so much emphasis on crediting the presenter when others* were unnamed, why a photo of the presenter rather than a performer? I mentioned the 'and my next choice for you' or 'and next I'm going to play' routine and he told me it was a good thing for the presenters to feel it was 'their' programme.

*who remembers when the BBC would routinely name the leader, at least of BBC orchestras, when announcing programmes/performances? It happened on the radio - but when I was a child that would have been the Light Programme or Home Service (I wasn't 'privileged' [sic] enough to have known the Third Programme].
              I remember it. The naming does still happen but not routinely - usually only in the context of a live performance when leader and conductor come on stage.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

For some reason we're always getting the two programme threads mixed up.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, now you mention. The names Felix Kok and Eli Goren come to mind. Leaders are also not usually named on CD covers. Chandos is an exception. I remember noting in Germany that, unlike in UK, the leader doesn't receive separate audience applause at the start of a live concert.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

For some reason we're always getting the two programme threads mixed up.
                    Probably not seeing the join, after the 0855 baton change!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Probably not seeing the join, after the 0855 baton change!
                      Easy done, even by those of us who actually listen to the morning schedule...
                      I think my #9421 response to the effect that SK's on EC was a bit too subtle.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Easy done, even by those of us who actually listen to the morning schedule...
                        I think my #9421 response to the effect that SK's on EC was a bit too subtle.
                        I thought it was a bit bold oddoneout ........

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          I thought it was a bit bold oddoneout ........
                          Perhaps it needed more character(s)?

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

The news is back at 7am. Is this from today? Apologies for not bothering to g***le. Does that mean the holidays have finished?

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                              The news is back at 7am. Is this from today? Apologies for not bothering to g***le. Does that mean the holidays have finished?
                              Restrictions on the number of people allowed in BH at any one time have been eased, so R3 no longer has to share its news with other stations.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I must be missing something here, but I don't quite see why Prince Philip's death should mean the omission of the usual Sunday Breakfast Sounds of the Earth slot, particularly as much of today's schedule is otherwise back to normal. Does someone in management think it disrespectful to listen to Nature?

Comment

Working...
                                X