• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Some very unpleasant sounds on Lizzie’s programme this morning. She seems to manage choices which sound ‘off the note!’
    I only listen to Breakfast as a research project, but Saturday's version is so dreadful that I haven't the courage to listen to it at all.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Was I right in thinking I heard a ROCKED UP version of Debussy's Clair de lune firstish thing this morning? I leave TTN on for the entire night, and so Bkfst had got(ten) going by the time I woke up. I nearly puked.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Was I right in thinking I heard a ROCKED UP version of Debussy's Clair de lune firstish thing this morning? I leave TTN on for the entire night, and so Bkfst had got(ten) going by the time I woke up. I nearly puked.
        Possibly, I wasn't listening - but not according to this, S_A. Could it have been Dvorak's Song to the Moon, perhaps?

OG

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I can’t find that on the Breakfast website . Was it part of this ? Downtime Symphony 06.00 to 07.00 . There are no listing details

“Channelling strings and lo-fi orchestral beats
          Downtime Symphony
          An hour of wind-down music to help you press pause and reset your mind. With chilled sounds of orchestral, jazz, ambient, and lo-fi beats to power your downtime.”

Currently listening to Corelli and Price in Il Trovatore . Now THAT’S Music

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Possibly, I wasn't listening - but not according to this, S_A. Could it have been Dvorak's Song to the Moon, perhaps?

OG
            It was a rather strange version of the Dvorak - and maybe others will disagree but I thought the Aurora Orchestra’s playing of the finale of Mozart’s Jupiter was rushed and badly played!

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              It was a rather strange version of the Dvorak - and maybe others will disagree but I thought the Aurora Orchestra’s playing of the finale of Mozart’s Jupiter was rushed and badly played!

You are piling the pressure on here cloughers ....

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                You are piling the pressure on here cloughers ....
                Moi?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Not to everyone's taste, I know, bt I usually enjoy the Sunday Breakfast Sounds of the Earth: today, birdsong and music from Australia. Some listeners were scandalised, apparently, by inclusion of the music from Croccodile Dundee, but as I didn't recognise it I didn't mind.

Comment

• hmvman
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Some listeners were scandalised, apparently, by inclusion of the music from Croccodile Dundee, but as I didn't recognise it I didn't mind.
                    I'd be the same, kernel. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                      I'd be the same, kernel. Ignorance is bliss, eh?
                      It was obviouosly film music - and confirmed my prejudice that film music is almost never interesting without the images it was written to compliment.

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

It was obviouosly film music - and confirmed my prejudice that film music is almost never interesting without the images it was written to compliment.
                        Interesting you should say that because I feel much the same about film music. My recorded music society had its first meeting on Zoom yesterday and at one point the discussion turned to the subject of film music. A few felt the same as you and me but there were others who thought that a lot of film music stands up in its own right. I would agree, though, with the view that it can be good and listenable when the composer has re-arranged it as concert music. I'm sure this subject's been discussed before on this forum!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                            Interesting you should say that because I feel much the same about film music. My recorded music society had its first meeting on Zoom yesterday and at one point the discussion turned to the subject of film music. A few felt the same as you and me but there were others who thought that a lot of film music stands up in its own right. I would agree, though, with the view that it can be good and listenable when the composer has re-arranged it as concert music. I'm sure this subject's been discussed before on this forum!
                            Somewhere there's still the thread for our own "Best Film Score" poll (which ran simultaneously with the BBC's national poll). RVW's Scott of the Antarctic and Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky came in the top three, I think - can't remember the third - Walton, Henry V?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

The Charles Williams piece (played circa 0820), never before heard, and even if I hadn't heard Petroc's announcement, was to me instantly idetifiable as from the 1950s (my childhood): jazz-influenced rhythms, scurrying string figures. That era's light music often reminds me of Look at Life films shown in Rank cinemas.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

The Charles Williams piece (played circa 0820), never before heard, and even if I hadn't heard Petroc's announcement, was to me instantly idetifiable as from the 1950s (my childhood): jazz-influenced rhythms, scurrying string figures. That era's light music often reminds me of Look at Life films shown in Rank cinemas.
                                Whatever it was it does not seem to be on the playlist so I having missed it I haven’t a clue what it was!

Comment

Working...
                                X