• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    Whose version of Rach 2 was playing?
    This was one of very few works recorded by Sir Simon, long before he became a Sir, with the Los Angeles PO. (Will he become Simon Rattle KBE, and not Sir Simon if he takes up European and not UK citizenship?)

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      You did, you did. And I don't like cake anyway. They were Mr Kipling's French Fancies, weren't they? I suppose that was in my honour.

Actually, I think you inflated our importance it was CR3, not the DG, wasn't it.
      Refusing Mr Kipling's cakes isn't the same as refusing free food...
      My mother was often bemused by those of her friends who considered it the height of hospitality to put such things out at social gatherings, and I was equally happy to leave them for others.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
        I'm really enjoying my 'Breakfast' this morning - a delightful choice of items brought into my house and life by a knowledgeable chap who not only has a voice made for radio but also treats me as an adult and - dare I say it - a friend.
        Chacun à son goût. For me he tries to hard to be my friend, and overshares in the process. I really don’t want to hear about the goings on in his pond (complete with anthropomorphic names for the animals) or indeed about how he met X when he was conducting Y.

I find that his weekday counterpart does a far better job of treating me as an adult and keeping it friendly but in a professionally objective way.

But there we are.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          Chacun à son goût. For me he tries to hard to be my friend, and overshares in the process. I really don’t want to hear about the goings on in his pond (complete with anthropomorphic names for the animals) or indeed about how he met X when he was conducting Y.

I find that his weekday counterpart does a far better job of treating me as an adult and keeping it friendly but in a professionally objective way.

But there we are.
          Petroc has over the years matured with this job and now fits like a favourite pair of gloves and I also think Georgia when in the role ihas just the right approach and a lovely voice!
          Last edited by cloughie; 26-01-21, 22:17.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Petroc has over the years matured with this job and now fits likeva favourite pair of gloves....
            I was thinking similarly warm thoughts this morning (though the gloves metaphor eluded me at the tme). His german pronunciation has improved of late, though Cosi' fan tutte eluded him today!

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I was thinking similarly warm thoughts this morning (though the gloves metaphor eluded me at the tme). His german pronunciation has improved of late, though Cosi' fan tutte eluded him today!
              ... and his French pronunciation is excruciating. As is Skellers's. But rather endearingly so. And eminently preferable to Ms Derham's...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                That’s the fat finger syndrome - the querty bottom row strain!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... and his French pronunciation is excruciating. As is Skellers's. But rather endearingly so. And eminently preferable to Ms Derham's...

Don’t worry vints ...... Alkers has magisterial pronunciation ........

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

For all that French and German people speak far better English, in general, than we speak their languages, I doubt honestly that the pronunciation of English by really well educated french and german persons would survive close examination by a R3 style audience .
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      Don’t worry vints ...... Alkers has magisterial pronunciation ........
                      Alkers' pronunciation really isn't an issue. It's everything else.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Alkers' pronunciation really isn't an issue. It's everything else.
                        Yes her way with English has meant I’ve never heard her say anything foreign (I don’t imagine I ever will, either)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                          Yes her way with English has meant I’ve never heard her say anything foreign (I don’t imagine I ever will, either)
                          I bet you didn’t appreciate Elsie Tanner ........

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            For all that French and German people speak far better English, in general, than we speak their languages, I doubt honestly that the pronunciation of English by really well educated french and german persons would survive close examination by a R3 style audience .
                            I think the average 'really well educated' French or German person doesn't end up as a radio presenter. I can only think that the BBC profiles their desired 'average listener' (in this case to Radio 3) rather than their current listener and fits the presenter to that profile. They want averagely younger listeners (ie younger than 59) who don't know a lot about classical music, so you get c. 40 year olds who also don't know a lot about classical music (don't want to scare people off). If you are over 55 and pretty knowledgeable (or at least have an enquiring mind), you aren't the target audience. Not for Breakfast, not for Essential Classics, not for Classical Fix, Night Tracks, Tearjerker, This Classical Life … But there is some 'live music' served up for you, some of which will interest you.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I bet you didn’t appreciate Elsie Tanner ........
                              Before my time antonio but the accent itself is nothing to do with it!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                                Before my time antonio but the accent itself is nothing to do with it!
                                But she was a winner on Pointless, surely that counts for something!

Comment

Working...
                                X