X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carysfort
    • Jan 2018

Quality of Radio 3 Breakfast programme

I really thought that today's (23.1.21) Radio 3 Breakfast programme was the poorest I have ever heard - the excited announcer sounds like something off CBBC and having to listen to a child eating chocolate eggs, followed by inane waffle on the subject, was the last straw.
    This just not what I want or expect from Radio 3.
    Come on Radio 3 - get a grip!

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

maybe the program is just part of the Beeb's specials for those nursery age children required to stay at home, it sounds as tho the presenter is ideal for such a program - I assume all pre 12noon programming on the R3 channels is aimed at a completely different audience than for example the post noon programmes.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Welcome carysfort! You will find many of your opinion on the thread The Eternal Breakfast Debate in a New Place.

(Click on a red hyperlink to take you straight there. )

Threads now merged.

kb
        Last edited by kernelbogey; 23-01-21, 13:22.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          maybe the program is just part of the Beeb's specials for those nursery age children required to stay at home, it sounds as tho the presenter is ideal for such a program - I assume all pre 12noon programming on the R3 channels is aimed at a completely different audience than for example the post noon programmes.
          I think you are correct about the target audience for the morning schedules. Unfortunately what that overlooks, or makes a bad assumption about, is that there isn't a total split. Morning listeners, such as myself, do listen during the rest of the day. As some of us keep banging on about, raising the standards of the morning schedule, especially the post 9am slot, would make an easier transition into 'serious' R3 territory which, if engaging 'new' audiences is really that important, should be a worthwhile exercise one would have thought. Maintaining existing audiences seems a lost cause these days.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            I assume all pre 12noon programming on the R3 channels is aimed at a completely different audience than for example the post noon programmes.
            Pre-noon is radio's peak listening time. Afternoons get lower listening and in the evening people watch television until they go to bed, when they can tune back in to Radio 3 for an hour or so.

It's the commercial model of ratings in the mornings, reputation for the evenings.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              It's the commercial model of ratings in the mornings, reputation for the evenings.
              I have sometimes wished for the opportunity to be able to allocate a portion of my licence fee to a particular section of the BBC. (I can't think where this happens, but I'm sure there is a commercial model for this.)

I really don't mind if there are a lot of viewers who want to hear Gary Lineker talking about the footie; and I sort of accept that I have to contribute to that. But I'd love to be able to allocate a big chunk of dosh to Radio3. That'd show 'em!!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

I presume this is "Breakfast" this morning. Saturday and Sunday are a little different from the weekday offering - I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.
                Perhaps you have followed this over the years since you joined FoR3? If not, to save you trawling through the many many posts and pages, I would summarise the position of posters here as follows:

1) Of course, some are happy with it all, Monday to Saturday. Fair enough, we are all entitled to our preference.

2) Martin Handley usually does Sunday Breakfast, he is valued by a fair number here for the programme he presents - to the extent of recording them for later listening (Monday to Saturday?, not sure...). Handley having given up Saturday's programme appears to cover Saturday and Sunday with Elizabeth Alker. When one of them takes time off, it seems the other does both weekend programmes.

3) Elizabeth Alker has been much criticised as providing, putting it politely, provides a presentation which in the view of many here (myself included) find extremely poor and inappropriate.

4) It seems Elizabeth is the wrong person in the programme, but the BBC doesn't care, even if it took the trouble to address the opinions of listeners. That being the position Breakfast programmes presented by her join the list of "no go" programmes. This might lead you to buy an internet capable radio to listen to continental stations which still have standards, or go over to silence, Radio 4, etc etc.

5) For myself (and some others I think) we've dialled down the criticism because she can present other programmes - some of them, mercifully when I am in bed and preparing for sleep, listening to other music. I'm not sure it matters - as the BBC never listens and cares even less about its audience's preferences - but Ms Alker no doubt deserves to make her living, and we can only hope that over time she is offered some other openings on other BBC radio stations, or at times when I (we?) are unlikely to be listening.

I'm happy for others to correct my summary - just my contribution. Meanwhile - Internet radio stations:

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  I presume this is "Breakfast" this morning. Saturday and Sunday are a little different from the weekday offering - I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.
                  Perhaps you have followed this over the years since you joined FoR3? If not, to save you trawling through the many many posts and pages, I would summarise the position of posters here as follows:

1) Of course, some are happy with it all, Monday to Saturday. Fair enough, we are all entitled to our preference.

2) Martin Handley usually does Sunday Breakfast, he is valued by a fair number here for the programme he presents - to the extent of recording them for later listening (Monday to Saturday?, not sure...). Handley having given up Saturday's programme appears to cover Saturday and Sunday with Elizabeth Alker. When one of them takes time off, it seems the other does both weekend programmes.

3) Elizabeth Alker has been much criticised as providing, putting it politely, provides a presentation which in the view of many here (myself included) find extremely poor and inappropriate.

4) It seems Elizabeth is the wrong person in the programme, but the BBC doesn't care, even if it took the trouble to address the opinions of listeners. That being the position Breakfast programmes presented by her join the list of "no go" programmes. This might lead you to buy an internet capable radio to listen to continental stations which still have standards, or go over to silence, Radio 4, etc etc.

5) For myself (and some others I think) we've dialled down the criticism because she can present other programmes - some of them, mercifully when I am in bed and preparing for sleep, listening to other music. I'm not sure it matters - as the BBC never listens and cares even less about its audience's preferences - but Ms Alker no doubt deserves to make her living, and we can only hope that over time she is offered some other openings on other BBC radio stations, or at times when I (we?) are unlikely to be listening.

I'm happy for others to correct my summary - just my contribution. Meanwhile - Internet radio stations:
                  http://www.for3.org/forums/forumdisp...radio-stations
                  A very fair assessment! I'm perfectly happy with Petroc, Georgia and Martin - i.e. I give Saturdays a miss.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2020

Discussion of 'Breakfast' and 'Tearjerker' seems to be running on a plurality of threads at present.
                    The difference in quality between Saturday 0700-0900 and Sunday 0700-0900 is astonishing and quite painful.
                    Last edited by Leinster Lass; 23-01-21, 13:09.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                      While I can stomach most Breakfast weekday programmes I have found that the Saturday version has become totally unlistenable. Quite apart from Elizabeth Alker’s “Blue Peter” style of presentation which sounds as if she is talking to 5 year olds, her irritating burble-speak, the mispronunciation of “says” (sayz), the insistence on telling us who has texted and what they are eating for breakfast, the overhyping of ambient music that was already old hat in the 70’s - all of this is put into the shade by her excitement at today’s “sound” of a child masticating a chocolate egg.

Beginning the day by shouting SHUT UP! at the radio before switching it off is not conducive.
                      You can always amuse yourself by counting the number of times the words “awesome” , “fantastic” , and “brilliant “ are misemployed with their quite specific and useful meanings now transformed into general terms of meaningless approbation and then weep for the decline of Western Civilisation / Enlightenment values etc...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                        The difference in quality between Saturday 0700-0900 and Sunday 0700-0900 is astonishing and quite painful.
                        I know that some forumistas are not fond of Martin's presentation. But what clinches the issue - and it's not just about Martin - is what a difference it makes to have a classically trained musician presenting classical music. I don't mind the random chat about his pond, or whether he's going to have to wrap up for his walk: it's because he can talk about the composers, the individual works or their historical context from an informed, educated perspective. I would say the same about many other presenters, notably Jonathan Swayne, John Shea, Catriona Young, Hannah French - to name only four. I don't what a chat-over-the-garden-fence level of discourse from the presenter - I want some words that will educate me or invite an unfamiliar perspective on the next piece of music.

Saturday Breakfast is a complete no-no for me: exacerbated by the Tearjerker felony that has deprived me of the last two hours of TTN.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          I know that some forumistas are not fond of Martin's presentation. But what clinches the issue - and it's not just about Martin - is what a difference it makes to have a classically trained musician presenting classical music. I don't mind the random chat about his pond, or whether he's going to have to wrap up for his walk: it's because he can talk about the composers, the individual works or their historical context from an informed, educated perspective. I would say the same about many other presenters, notably Jonathan Swayne, John Shea, Catriona Young, Hannah French - to name only four. I don't what a chat-over-the-garden-fence level of discourse from the presenter - I want some words that will educate me or invite an unfamiliar perspective on the next piece of music.

Saturday Breakfast is a complete no-no for me: exacerbated by the Tearjerker felony that has deprived me of the last two hours of TTN.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                            Absolutely.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Saturdays used to be R3 free from mid/late afternoon on as I wasn't keen on the cinema music slot, and opera is not my thing, but now it's just about the whole day off. Record Review used to be listened to quite a lot just out of general interest and the chance to pick up bits of information but the changes failed to keep my attention. The 'exciting new programmes' were either just a complete turn off(This classical life) or too often a disappointment in the 'missed opportunity'(Inside Music) stakes, so that rules out the rest of the day. EA doesn't irritate me as much as it does many on here but I don't actually enjoy either her presenting or her music choices(listened to in the spirit of OK now I've heard that I don't need to listen again) that much, so it isn't what I would call listening. Coupled with rubbish TV on a Saturday it's very much an 'amuse yourself' day. Not so much of an issue B4CV19, when I could fill the time quite easily out and about, but more of a problem now when weather and restrictions mean confined to quarters. I have plenty I could do, but there are occasions, especially when health issues are intrusive, when a bit of no-effort distraction is welcome.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Saturdays used to be R3 free from mid/late afternoon on as I wasn't keen on the cinema music slot, and opera is not my thing, but now it's just about the whole day off. Record Review used to be listened to quite a lot just out of general interest and the chance to pick up bits of information but the changes failed to keep my attention. The 'exciting new programmes' were either just a complete turn off(This classical life) or too often a disappointment in the 'missed opportunity'(Inside Music) stakes, so that rules out the rest of the day. EA doesn't irritate me as much as it does many on here but I don't actually enjoy either her presenting or her music choices(listened to in the spirit of OK now I've heard that I don't need to listen again) that much, so it isn't what I would call listening. Coupled with rubbish TV on a Saturday it's very much an 'amuse yourself' day. Not so much of an issue B4CV19, when I could fill the time quite easily out and about, but more of a problem now when weather and restrictions mean confined to quarters. I have plenty I could do, but there are occasions, especially when health issues are intrusive, when a bit of no-effort distraction is welcome.
                                Ain’t that the truth. Mrs BoD calls “This Classical Life” the “Pepsi and Shirley Show” and generally R3 is off for the whole day. BBCTV across the board is excruciating in its blandness and banality (The Wheel - for heaven’s sake!) which drives us to search Netflix. With so much competition piling up I do wonder how the BBC can continue in its present form for too much longer.
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X