X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
    Never was a programme more aptly named than 'Pointless Celebrities'!
    Yes but it doesn’t frighten horses or those of a nervous disposition.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r0dd

Looks like she’s partnering Stuart Maconie so I would guess flying the 6Radio flag. Johnnie Walker and Sally Traffic are there representing Radio 2 from a time when it was still worth a listen!
      Well, for what it's worth, she flew the Radio 3 flag, and she and Maconie won the contest (with her share of the prize going to a church-based charity in Salford). I got the impression that Maconie did most of the heavy lifting, but there were (fortunately or not) no classical music questions to test Alker.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        Well, for what it's worth, she flew the Radio 3 flag, and she and Maconie won the contest (with her share of the prize going to a church-based charity in Salford). I got the impression that Maconie did most of the heavy lifting, but there were (fortunately or not) no classical music questions to test Alker.
        You could say she would have been in the stew without Stu! Apart from Richard she was probably the tallest there, and she avoided a 100 apart from the Captain Sensible in the final!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

You could say she would have been in the stew without Stu! Apart from Richard she was probably the tallest there, and she avoided a 100 apart from the Captain Sensible in the final!
          I was amused by her protestation that she’s not into panto, given that a good number of the people pictured in that round are well-known outside that realm. She was lucky that Johnnie Walker came up with a completely off the wall 100 answer!

Still, fair play to her I say.
          And for all the stick she gets here for her Breakfast role (not the happiest of fits, I agree), I think she deserves credit for the range of talent she showcases on Unclassified. There, I’ve said it.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I think she deserves credit for the range of talent she showcases on Unclassified. There, I’ve said it.
            I only listened to it once - for research purposes only, and on that occasion, at least, I was struck by how knowledgeable she seemed (I knowing nothing) which is the last thing she seems on Breakfast. And she was given leave to display it.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

The brief news half-hourly summaries have been replaced with several minutes of BBC news format - different readers, and use of our 'xyz correspondent' soundbite slots - at 8am and 1pm - I suspect there is an earlier one but I can't recall hearing it. Is this a permanent change does anyone know? Its timing meant that I thought it was something to do with seasonal holiday arrangements to begin with but now I'm not so sure. It could be argued that this arrangement gives more space for music and in theory that might be the case, except that it just seems to have 'freed up' space to put in more adverts at random times. I used to be able to get ready with the mute button as they were generally linked to the news summary slot, but now the irritations hit any time. I am doubtless in a minority(beyond that of being a R3 listener) in disliking the new set-up, and I know it is a minor thing - but it's another irritation that I don't want. At the moment I haven't worked out how long the news slot is so muting is trial and error. In time perhaps I'll get as accurate as I usually manage to be with the adverts!

Comment

• muzzer
                • Nov 2013

They’ve moved back to sharing news with R2 as a result of renewed restrictions on the numbers of staff allowed onsite, and having fewer bulletins overall. I hate this, it smacks to me of a reversal and a defeatist approach when the opposite should be their position. The nation’s broadcaster should be leading its morale not retreating. Obviously the safety of staff is paramount, but so much can be done remotely.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  The brief news half-hourly summaries have been replaced with several minutes of BBC news format - different readers, and use of our 'xyz correspondent' soundbite slots - at 8am and 1pm - I suspect there is an earlier one but I can't recall hearing it. Is this a permanent change does anyone know? Its timing meant that I thought it was something to do with seasonal holiday arrangements to begin with but now I'm not so sure. It could be argued that this arrangement gives more space for music and in theory that might be the case, except that it just seems to have 'freed up' space to put in more adverts at random times. I used to be able to get ready with the mute button as they were generally linked to the news summary slot, but now the irritations hit any time. I am doubtless in a minority(beyond that of being a R3 listener) in disliking the new set-up, and I know it is a minor thing - but it's another irritation that I don't want. At the moment I haven't worked out how long the news slot is so muting is trial and error. In time perhaps I'll get as accurate as I usually manage to be with the adverts!
                  This happened during the first lockdown and was re-introduced in December, I think when London went into Tier 4. Petroc Trelawny made it clear at the time that it was again a temporary measure, as did Paul Guinery when he played the piano in the studio on Christmas Day (when two of the other Radio 3 regulars Viji Alles and Susan Rae also submitted party pieces). The only morning bulletin is at 8 am, nothing earlier. It's a longer bulletin than I would like (possibly as long as 5 minutes), and the 1 pm bulletin delayed the start of the Wigmore Hall lunchtime concerts, resulting in them frequently spilling over beyond 2 pm. The voices of the newsreaders are often not to my snobbish taste either (very Radio 2-ish). But it's easy to see why they have felt the need to do it.

I haven't been aware of this resulting in more adverts or trailers - as far as I recall they have for a long time not been linked to the news summary slot.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                    They’ve moved back to sharing news with R2 as a result of renewed restrictions on the numbers of staff allowed onsite, and having fewer bulletins overall. I hate this, it smacks to me of a reversal and a defeatist approach when the opposite should be their position. The nation’s broadcaster should be leading its morale not retreating. Obviously the safety of staff is paramount, but so much can be done remotely.

Whilst I don't like it, I think it's a stretch to say that it has an appreciably negative effect on the nation's morale! And I wouldn't presume to suggest that it would be so easy to set up a remote newsreading facility as to make it worthwhile for the sake of 5 or 6 2-minute bulletins a day - I have no idea what would be involved. The slight, temporary annoyance is surely as nothing compared to the lengths that Radio 3 has gone to to support live music making in so many ways since last spring. That's what I call morale boosting.

Comment

• muzzer
                      • Nov 2013

Whilst I don't like it, I think it's a stretch to say that it has an appreciably negative effect on the nation's morale! And I wouldn't presume to suggest that it would be so easy to set up a remote newsreading facility as to make it worthwhile for the sake of 5 or 6 2-minute bulletins a day - I have no idea what would be involved. The slight, temporary annoyance is surely as nothing compared to the lengths that Radio 3 has gone to to support live music making in so many ways since last spring. That's what I call morale boosting.
                      They’ve set up presenters remotely, I’m sure it’s possible, but I agree on R3’s contribution of course. And it was great to be able to attend a lunchtime concert in person. But the rationing of news bulletins seems unnecessary and retrograde.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                        • Apr 2011

They’ve set up presenters remotely, I’m sure it’s possible, but I agree on R3’s contribution of course. And it was great to be able to attend a lunchtime concert in person. But the rationing of news bulletins seems unnecessary and retrograde.
                        Presenters are for the most part presenting programmes of 2-3 hours, and there's no possibility of sharing the content. It may be possible (again I no nothing of the technology involved), but would it be really worth it? Cost-benefit analysis and all that.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I think that leading the nations morale is in the eye of the beholder............
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            News bulletins at 0800 and 1300 only, each about 5 minutes long - enough for me to be going on with.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                              News bulletins at 0800 and 1300 only, each about 5 minutes long - enough for me to be going on with.
                              I heard the news at 8.00, I think it was on Lizzie’s Saturday programme and I thought the voice and delivery was a bit fierce for R3. Disturbed the calm somewhat!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I heard the news at 8.00, I think it was on Lizzie’s Saturday programme and I thought the voice and delivery was a bit fierce for R3. Disturbed the calm somewhat!
                                I think that's what is the root cause of my antipathy, and why I don't listen to Beeb news(other than the R3 headlines), and also why I don't watch TV news except very occasionally part of C4 . I don't want someone to inject urgency or whatever into what they are reading - just read it out in a neutral fashion, as the R3 people do, and I'll 'colour' it myself as I see fit.
                                If this is proving the best way of dealing with the Covid constraints then that's fair enough - I had thought that might also be the case - although I suspect it might become permanent. However I have wondered for quite some time why, with all the talk of the need to cut costs, it is considered necessary to have someone other than the presenter of the morning schedules to do those slots? Or do those excellent folk have other duties in between news slots - I don't listen to other radio stations so wouldn't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X