X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    I found a stash of old Prom's books - earliest 1972 a slim booklet listing concerts + performers cast 15p - by 1996 had become a fairly thick paper back costing £3 95 (if any one wants these 15 programmes for cost of postage pm me)
    Sent me upstairs to my programme stash. My earliest Proms booklet is 1968. Old money: "Prospectus Price One Shilling and Sixpence". The programme for the one concert I attended that year (my first Prom and one of my first ever classical concerts) - was One Shilling. (Quite an interesting concert). I always buy concert and theatre programmes and usually buy the Proms prospectus but haven't kept any later ones as they've become so bulky and it's all online anyway.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
      • Sep 2014

Had a quick look at my old proms material. I don't have a prospectus but I have a programme from August 1956, where Vaughan Williams 8th Symphony was given it's first Proms performance, in the presence of the great man, price of programme 6 pence. Also another from August 1957 where Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was played - also price 6 pence. Long, long concerts in those days.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
        Had a quick look at my old proms material. I don't have a prospectus but I have a programme from August 1956, where Vaughan Williams 8th Symphony was given it's first Proms performance, in the presence of the great man, price of programme 6 pence. Also another from August 1957 where Alwyn's 3rd Symphony was played - also price 6 pence. Long, long concerts in those days.
        I now realize that I was the victim of rampant profiteering when I paid 8/6 (42.5 p) to see The Beatles live in 1963.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

So true. And once the BBC has over-inflated everything, it finds itself needing to make cuts.
          ...and then cuts the wrong things!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I fear this thread is getting a bit cheesy! (appropriate grin inserted)
            It grates, too!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Misheard this morning Petroc saying that a certain item would be sung by Tenebrae as sung by Ted Ray - now that would have been interesting - maybe completed with a violin solo!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Misheard this morning Petroc saying that a certain item would be sung by Tenebrae as sung by Ted Ray - now that would have been interesting - maybe completed with a violin solo!
                Possibly as a duet with Kitty Whately (that's for fans of both Ray's A Laugh and Inspector Morse).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                  A shame that the impressionist sounded nothing like Petroc (although he informed us that that was who he was ‘doing’).

Just heard a couple of far better (brief) “Breakfast” parodies in this episode of Ed Reardon’s Week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09fy5xg (one about 5 minutes in, the other about 5 minutes before the end).

Brilliant impression of Petroc, I thought... until I looked at the cast list and saw it IS himself ... credit to him for participating in the send-up.

Reardon: Can we PLEASE hear some music, is that too much to ask?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hmvman
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Just heard a couple of far better (brief) “Breakfast” parodies in this episode of Ed Reardon’s Week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09fy5xg (one about 5 minutes in, the other about 5 minutes before the end).

Brilliant impression of Petroc, I thought... until I looked at the cast list and saw it IS himself ... credit to him for participating in the send-up.

I remember that episode and laughed loudly at it then. Must have another listen, thanks for the link, Caliban.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Double Alkers ...... apologies Elizabeth Alker ... because it’s Malcolm Hilton’s Birthday presumably .......

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Link doesn't seem to work (?) but I'll find it on Sounds.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Double Alkers ...... apologies Elizabeth Alker ... because it’s Malcolm Hilton’s Birthday presumably .......
                          Why? Is she a relative?

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

'No episodes are currently available'. Is it an episode from one the earlier series to be found on BBC Sounds?
                            (I'm afraid I don't get the Malcolm Hilton reference)

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Why? Is she a relative?
                              The Bacup connection ......

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                The Bacup connection ......

Comment