X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • underthecountertenor
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Brilliant skit on Petroc and other Radio 3 presenters on Dead Ringers, earlier on. Had me interrupting my lunch preparations, jumping about and going "Yes! yes! yes! yes! YESSS!!!"
    A shame that the impressionist sounded nothing like Petroc (although he informed us that that was who he was ‘doing’). And, like most of the rest of the show, it failed to raise a single laugh from me. 16 writers for a 28 minute show? I’d expect a slightly better hit rate for that.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I can't speak about Saturday Breakfast as I never listen to it.

Monday to Friday, Petroc runs an amiable show. It's streets ahead of the far-off days when it was loaded with tweets. Something has softened and for me there is a sense of a Breakfast community of listeners.

Far out ahead, for me, is Sunday Breakfast with Martin Handley. He has one of the best presenter-personas on Radio Three, and is above all a musician.
      Handley used to be very good. He’s become self-indulgent, reminiscing about his time at ENO and elsewhere, with an unhealthy dose of name-dropping. He talks far too much, and spends a remarkable amount of time reading out drivel from listeners. This has reached a peak since lockdown with the cringeworthy ‘music that makes you smile’ feature, which seems to account for every other piece of music played and has inevitably resulted In a festival of bland. He even emailed Bernard Haitink to ask him for the music that makes him smile - a toe-curling moment.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        A shame that the impressionist sounded nothing like Petroc (although he informed us that that was who he was ‘doing’). And, like most of the rest of the show, it failed to raise a single laugh from me. 16 writers for a 28 minute show? I’d expect a slightly better hit rate for that.
        Same here. I wouldn't know who they were impersonating if they didn't say. They make no impression on me.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
          Same here. I wouldn't know who they were impersonating if they didn't say. They make no impression on me.
          I'm happy to be impressed enough for both of us, but the Petroc Trelawney item was a serious, albeit rare, example of a complete misfire.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
            Handley used to be very good. He’s become self-indulgent, reminiscing about his time at ENO and elsewhere, with an unhealthy dose of name-dropping. He talks far too much, and spends a remarkable amount of time reading out drivel from listeners. This has reached a peak since lockdown with the cringeworthy ‘music that makes you smile’ feature, which seems to account for every other piece of music played and has inevitably resulted In a festival of bland. He even emailed Bernard Haitink to ask him for the music that makes him smile - a toe-curling moment.

I’m inclined to agree... The ‘smile’ mantra is wearing, and the anecdotes about named birds in his garden However MH remains the only palatable Breakfast presenter in this manor, his programmes (downloaded to iPad) are still listened to at odd moments here (with the ‘forward 20s’ button very useful to avoid the cloying bits). The selection of music is usually good and relatively free of lazy choices.

(Didn’t find the Trelawney skit on Dead Ringers amusing but that goes for that show in general imvho)(Just noticed we agree about that too, utct )

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I’m inclined to agree... The ‘smile’ mantra is wearing, and the anecdotes about named birds in his garden However MH remains the only palatable Breakfast presenter in this manor, his programmes (downloaded to iPad) are still listened to at odd moments here (with the ‘forward 20s’ button very useful to avoid the cloying bits). The selection of music is usually good and relatively free of lazy choices.....
              It just shows how personal likes and dislikes of presenters are, as the aspects of Martin disliked by UCT and Cali are those which make his programme charming and welcome to me.

The bells and 'Sounds of the earth' features offer a distinctiveness from the weekday programme. IMV the presenters working from home has brought another degree of intimacy to their work,

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... IMV the presenters working from home has brought another degree of intimacy to their work,

... 'intimacy'?

:shudder emoticon:

Just what I do not want from my presenters...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Possiby not the best choice of word - I meant engagement with listeners.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Possiby not the best choice of word - I meant engagement with listeners.
                    ... almost as bad

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Louise Talma
                      Seven Episodes for flute, viola and piano

What a refreshing change to hear this item from a "minor" composer. . A change from trotting out the old favourites: Mozart Clarinet Quintet, Brandenburg Concerto, Holberg Suite....

Hopefully I'm not in a minority ( yes I know I am).

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                        Louise Talma

What a refreshing change to hear this item from a "minor" composer. . A change from trotting out the old favourites: Mozart Clarinet Quintet, Brandenburg Concerto, Holberg Suite....

Was this piece in A minor?

Comment

• Count Boso

Louise Talma

You MAY be in a minority among those who regularly listen to the programme because they find it very enjoyable - or at least worth a listen. I don't think you would be in a minority among those who no longer listen because they don't enjoy the mix of 'old favourites' and barely or not at all 'classical' (an already broad category); and for whom the presence of even a competent presenter doesn't compensate for unappealing musical choices and irritating speech content.

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Was this piece in A minor?

Serioully though, as should be immediately apparent to listeners:

She created rows so that she was able to compose serially within a diatonic sound world. Her row can be understood as three four note segments of the circle of fifths....
                            Last edited by Quarky; 01-07-20, 11:47.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Count Boso View Post
                              You MAY be in a minority among those who regularly listen to the programme because they find it very enjoyable - or at least worth a listen. I don't think you would be in a minority among those who no longer listen because they don't enjoy the mix of 'old favourites' and barely or not at all 'classical' (an already broad category); and for whom the presence of even a competent presenter doesn't compensate for unappealing musical choices and irritating speech content.
                              Well, yes....

I find PT and his selections useful in the morning to persuade my half-functioning brain and body to make the transition between drowsing in bed to getting up and "shaking a leg"....

Comment

• Count Boso

I find PT and his selections useful in the morning to persuade my half-functioning brain and body to make the transition between drowsing in bed to getting up and "shaking a leg"....
                                Don't think I feel at all bitter because other people's tastes are not mine! I'm quite resigned to being in a small minority, the other members of which I seldom meet. I'm now used to creating workarounds - like not listening to music in the mornings and getting up at any time (5am - 7.30) - usually about 20 minutes after I've realised that, in spite of all, I have indeed woken up again and there are many things to do which don't require the accompaniment of either music or the human voice. Listening to Radio 3 in the mornings would now involve a considerable shift in my routine which would be discountenancing.

Comment

Working...
                                X