X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    ... and now it's the Nash Ensemble - how much lower can the wretched programme sink !!!!
    Is that the one with Crosby and Stills, or the Hollies - sorry that was just a Deja Vu moment! Actually that would make a good ‘AA’ link to Vera Lynn as Crosby was on the birds recording of ‘We’ll meet again’. Not listened to Breakfast but checking the playlist on Sounds - having had to sign in to it again and having to change my forgotten password,(I use Sounds most days so why they need to ask me to sign in afresh?), I see he’s doing ‘Nightingale sang in BS’ - hopefully by the end of the week he will have played ManTran’s superlative version.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I found the Bach Cantata Schlummert Ein this morning very affecting, particularly the rest before each verse/chorus, resulting in a bit of an earworm for a few hours (the melody, not the rest!)

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Is that the one with Crosby and Stills, or the Hollies - sorry that was just a Deja Vu moment! Actually that would make a good ‘AA’ link to Vera Lynn as Crosby was on the birds recording of ‘We’ll meet again’. Not listened to Breakfast but checking the playlist on Sounds - having had to sign in to it again and having to change my forgotten password,(I use Sounds most days so why they need to ask me to sign in afresh?), I see he’s doing ‘Nightingale sang in BS’ - hopefully by the end of the week he will have played ManTran’s superlative version.

Sorry, cloughie - 'Hutch' yesterday, Piers Lane today, and tomorrow is 'performance day' with Anne Tilbrook on piano.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

This morning, for the first time ever, I switched off Martin Handley's 'Breakfast' after spending (wasting) my time listening to a truly dire, utterly pointless (mis)treatment of Beatles songs. This turned out to be the 3rd movement of John Rutter's Beatles Concerto.
          I believe there's a 'Doors Concerto' which, unlike this morning's offering, hasn't crept up on me unawares - if anybody out there has heard it I'd be interested to hear their views.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

This morning, for the first time ever, I switched off Martin Handley's 'Breakfast' after spending (wasting) my time listening to a truly dire, utterly pointless (mis)treatment of Beatles songs. This turned out to be the 3rd movement of John Rutter's Beatles Concerto.
            I believe there's a 'Doors Concerto' which, unlike this morning's offering, hasn't crept up on me unawares - if anybody out there has heard it I'd be interested to hear their views.
            I don’t understand why you’d switch off AFTER having listened to it. During, I’d get (I have more time than some for Rutter, but agree that this was not his finest few minutes). But it was followed by a movement from Dvořák’s 5th, which might have cleansed your palate.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

[/U][/B]
              Sorry, cloughie - 'Hutch' yesterday, Piers Lane today, and tomorrow is 'performance day' with Anne Tilbrook on piano.
              I fear he shows a lack of taste there, however Anna Tilbrook is a brilliant accompanist - she played for Lesley Garrett when I saw her at Hall for Cornwall a couple of years ago!
              I have a copynof the Doors Concerto and will give it a listen after Steinberg’s Pastoral!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                I don’t understand why you’d switch off AFTER having listened to it. During, I’d get (I have more time than some for Rutter, but agree that this was not his finest few minutes). But it was followed by a movement from Dvořák’s 5th, which might have cleansed your palate.
                I didn't say I listened to all of it! The 5th is my favourite Dvorak symphony.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Very nice to hear the voice of Susan Rae both reading and singing poetry on Breakfast this morning. Petroc obviously smitten, "ravishing" was his reaction after the sung item (it was indeed rather good!).

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

This week's Friday sing-a-long is 'Singing in the rain' - bit of a sore point for those of us who have forgotten what rain is...

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      This week's Friday sing-a-long is 'Singing in the rain' - bit of a sore point for those of us who have forgotten what rain is...
                      It’s forecast for Thursday!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

We have rain tonight and forecast for tomorrow - sweet smell of rain dampened soil outside.

Also: Nice piece on Petroc and other radio presenters in Sunday's observer. Was going to post it on the day, but have only just managed to find the link

OG

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          We have rain tonight and forecast for tomorrow - sweet smell of rain dampened soil outside.

Also: Nice piece on Petroc and other radio presenters in Sunday's observer. Was going to post it on the day, but have only just managed to find the link

OG
                          Thanks OG

Interesting item about Petroc Trelawney. PT is my favourite Breakfast presenter, but just a minor quibble, it's precisely because he doesn't play "Beethoven and Brahms" but instead items from pre-Romantic periods, that he holds my attention.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

OG
                            Good Stuff OG

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

OG
                              Thanks for this link. I share Petroc's admiration of Paddy O'Connell, even though the latter is an unrepentant Eurovision Song Contest addict!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Saturday morning - anyone know what the relevance of sound of a skateboard Is to this programme? Maybe it is in keeping with that dreadfully shallow choice of music to go with that dreadfully drab voice!
                                ...and I only switched over to evade the dreadful charmless screaming pop music they now play on Radio Cornwall!

Comment

Working...
                                X