X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Driven from Radio 3 FM on this morning's commute on a beautiful crisp, sunny day in the North East by persistent high pitched electronic interference (no it wasn't my tinnitus, but that was there as well).

This was only present on R3 and seemed be there during both transmission of recorded music and live speech. Anyone else find this?

OG
    Fine on the way home - very strange. Could be atmospherics - the digital terrestrial TV signal was not so good earlier this evening. Perhaps aliens were jamming Radio 3 - who knows?

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

I know the playlist can veer wildly away from classical, especially on Saturdays...., but I have to say I’ve lately found the team overall to be extremely good. I know we all grumble about the show, you can’t please everyone etc etc, but in times like these I think they’re invaluable.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
        I know the playlist can veer wildly away from classical, especially on Saturdays...., but I have to say I’ve lately found the team overall to be extremely good. I know we all grumble about the show, you can’t please everyone etc etc, but in times like these I think they’re invaluable.
        I think they've rather been enjoying the challenge of home broadcasting, same with Essential Classics - it sounds that way. Whatever one's views about the music on offer at least it's a change from endless coronavirus and something different to grumble about!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
          I agree, except that I give Saturdays a miss. This gave me time to listen again to the fabulous Sergeant Pepper album again this morning, followed by some Pentangle.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I agree, except that I give Saturdays a miss. This gave me time to listen again to the fabulous Sergeant Pepper album again this morning, followed by some Pentangle.
            Yes, I tuned in for a short while this morning and that dreadfully drab voiced woman was hosting the show, such a contrast to Georgia who I really liked on EC during the week. Strange that you should mention Pentagle as I was discussing musical likes with a friend on the phone and Bert Jansch and John Renbourn featured in the conversation!

Comment

• peterthekeys
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Yes, I tuned in for a short while this morning and that dreadfully drab voiced woman was hosting the show, such a contrast to Georgia who I really liked on EC during the week.
              I think Georgia Mann is one of the best of the current team of presenters - closest to the great tradition of presenters who just announced what had been played and what was about to be played, and then got out of the way.

Comment

• Count Boso

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                I think Georgia Mann is one of the best of the current team of presenters - closest to the great tradition of presenters who just announced what had been played and what was about to be played, and then got out of the way.
                There are four basic categories:

1. Those who have a (generally agreed) pleasant broadcasting manner and know what they're talking about

2 a. (joint) those who have a (generally agreed) pleasant broadcasting manner but who know little about what they're required to talk about

2 b. (joint) those have a (generally agreed) poor broadcasting manner but are very knowledgeable

4. Those who sound awful/irritating and know nothing.

I mention no names as people seem to get very shirty when you criticise their faves.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                  Couldn't agree more!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

I have been listening more to both weekday Breakfast and Essential Classics since the lockdown began. My basis for a comparison may not be too sound, but I have the impression that a different kind of rapport has formed between Petroc and his audience and between Skellers and his (I didn't listen to Suzy on EC). Hard to put a finger on it, but PT seems more relaxed at the microphone somehow, and IS has refined his inclusive style a bit.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Dr Dannan:. The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba - to Galway

Just love it!

OG

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

De Dannan:. The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba - to Galway

Just love it!

OG

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Paul Guinery's performance of 'The Dicky Bird Hop' was just what I needed to kick-start my day - a kindly light 'midst the encircling gloom.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            I have been listening more to both weekday Breakfast and Essential Classics since the lockdown began. My basis for a comparison may not be too sound, but I have the impression that a different kind of rapport has formed between Petroc and his audience and between Skellers and his (I didn't listen to Suzy on EC). Hard to put a finger on it, but PT seems more relaxed at the microphone somehow, and IS has refined his inclusive style a bit.
                            Maybe so, but the musical content continues to mop the floor. Now it’s Vera Lyn.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Maybe so, but the musical content continues to mop the floor. Now it’s Vera Lyn.
                              ... and now it's the Nash Ensemble - how much lower can the wretched programme sink !!!!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I have the impression that the musical content is superior - a tad more challenging - before 0700.

We'll meet again, Alps!

Comment

Working...
                                X