• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Sorry - here!

(The sticky at the top - I meant to link to the actual thread)
    Oh yes that it was blind anal accountant's panic that my hurried analysis had missed a lot of Bridges!!!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Rob was all abuzz this morning about 'holiday' music and it was certainly an authentic listening experience. Yes, I was wholly reminded of my last holiday which involved a flight out with Easyjet.

That was very good value for money as long you didn't mind the in-flight service which was basically a live 'tv shopping channel' experience that continued throughout the two hour flight.

Rather indeed as the Breakfast on 3 experience has wholly become. Not a single link passes now without some puff for the news to come, the news that was, the news that ever will be and the piece we played by way of preview for the proms, the proms, the proms and time enough just to say for the millionth prime billing gustavo, gustavo, gustavo du dudamel and not forgetting, nine times no regretting, Ben Grosvenor, Ben Grosvenor, Ben Grosvenor, Ben Grosvenor plus five. Oh, saints alive!

No more of this trick ...
      3s got me all sick ...
      No wonder I go ...
      Aw, shit! Click.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I beg your pardon (re: the last line)?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
          Aw, shit! Click.
          Please! - not at the Tea Ceremony.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
            • Nov 2010

Do pardon my coarseness ... must be all this rioting in the air getting to me ...

It's actually a trade expression from American radio programmers and how they aspired towards streams that would stem the channel changing tendency. This channel hopping they characterised as 'Aw, ****! Click'.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
              It's actually a trade expression from American radio programmers and how they aspired towards streams that would stem the channel changing tendency. This channel hopping they characterised as 'Aw, ****! Click'.
              I read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true (though I've forgotten the exact details), about how long it takes for a radio listener to decide that s/he doesn't like what s/he's listening to and to switch off. I think they allowed a maximum of about 15 seconds before deciding that there was something better to do with their lives - even if it was only to switch over to CFM .
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Ah mes amis with all those lovely top Cs coming up on breakfast this morning or shall I listen to Nick Clegg waffle on Radio 4?

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Well, stone the crows and praise be due, I actually enjoyed three pieces in a row on this morning's programme, and rarer still, could say that they weren't the usual cliches.

There was a version for harp of the Allegro from Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (would love to hear the whol thing sometime), a very light and spirited excerpt from Le Fille de Regiment with Paul Gimenez and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, and Rimsky Korsakov's Parade of the Nobles - a great lollipop, but not one I've heard in years.

Hurrah!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true (though I've forgotten the exact details), about how long it takes for a radio listener to decide that s/he doesn't like what s/he's listening to and to switch off. I think they allowed a maximum of about 15 seconds before deciding that there was something better to do with their lives - even if it was only to switch over to CFM .
                    I just wish they would publish what they are going to play in advance. That way, it would encourage people to switch back to Radio 3 when the offending item was due to finish. As it is, I suspect people who switch off generally do not switch on again, unless the alternative becomes wearing.

Comment

• Osborn

I guess that most listeners are happy to accept a lucky dip at that time of day & if the rest knew what's going to be played in advance' they might not visit R3 at all. After all, some 850,000 R3 listeners listen to Cfm as well so must be quite satisfied by its output.

ff says: I think they allowed a maximum of about 15 seconds before deciding that there was something better to do with their lives - even if it was only to switch over to CFM

5secs is enough for me if it's Mahler.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                        I guess that most listeners are happy to accept a lucky dip at that time of day & if the rest knew what's going to be played in advance' they might not visit R3 at all. After all, some 850,000 R3 listeners listen to Cfm as well so must be quite satisfied by its output.
                        There is an inherent contradiction in this theory. Those who want to take a "lucky dip" are unlikely to check the listings in advance: therefore, it makes sense to publish a listing as it enables those who are more fastidious in their listening to decide when (or whether) they want to retune to R3. If I knew that the next item would be to my taste I would be more inclined to exercise patience than is currently the case.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Don't they publish the Breakfast menu,err schedule, anymore then? I thought i read it today, but then it might have been yesterday.

I did hear Omphale at her spinning wheel I remember.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            Don't they publish the Breakfast menu,err schedule, anymore then? I thought i read it today, but then it might have been yesterday.

I did hear Omphale at her spinning wheel I remember.
                            I think they do Wor Rob's schedule for tomorrow is on the R3 site for all to see! Possibly not many hereabouts might like to read it - rather a lot of lollipops ending with the subject of previous discussions Rhapsody in Blue.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              I think they do Wor Rob's schedule for tomorrow is on the R3 site for all to see! Possibly not many hereabouts might like to read it - rather a lot of lollipops ending with the subject of previous discussions Rhapsody in Blue.
                              Only 20 pieces listed so there will be a few more added. For some reason Gershwin has to figure regularly and as he didn't write many concert hall works they come round with great frequency, especialy RiB.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• old khayyam

A simple start to the day.

08:03 am - Ride Of The Valkyries = radio off.

Comment

Working...
                                X