Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I would have thought the motets were ideal Breakfast fare.
    Presumably a wafer?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Better a wafer than a lot of waffle.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

In no way trying to take over Suffolkcoastal's mantle I have analysed the Breakfast Monday to Friday playlists for 21 days of Breakfast in July. The results are, to me at least, interesting - so as it's been a long week what about a quiz?

What was the average length of the pieces played
        a) 5.25 mins
        b) 6.34 mins
        c) 6.90 mins

How many composers featured
        a) 156
        b) 191
        c) 213

Who was the most played composer

a) J S Bach
        b) Chopin
        c) Mozart

How many pieces were played more than once
        a) 2
        b) 5
        c) 10

Which composer was not played in July
        a) Wagner
        b) Bruckner
        c) Nielsen
        As thousands of boarders, but most importantly ff "did" the quiz I feel honour bound to provide the answers -

The average length of the pieces played was 6.9 minutes.

191 composers featured including Trad. and Anon.

Bach was easily the most played composer with 32 plays as against 27 for Mozart and 22 for Chopin

I was probably the only person amazed that 10 pieces were played twice in the month! A point of (maybe) interest 8 were played by both SMP and RC (2 by RC twice) - do they/their producers not check playlists?

.........and sadly Bruckner missed July completely

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The average length of the pieces played was 6.9 minutes.

191 composers featured including Trad. and Anon.

Bach was easily the most played composer with 32 plays as against 27 for Mozart and 22 for Chopin

I was probably the only person amazed that 10 pieces were played twice in the month! A point of (maybe) interest 8 were played by both SMP and RC (2 by RC twice) - do they/their producers not check playlists?

.........and sadly Bruckner missed July completely
          Looks as if I scored 3 out of 5. Not bad, a respectable 2.ii . Btw, the pieces of music probably weren't quite that long because there would have been the links, news, trails, snippets from the papers, invitations to text in &c.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

agreed

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Sadly they got the Bruckner treatment and as for easy listening it was the month of the movie themes and so John Williams was well up the composer's league.
              I have heard Kenton and Goodman and even Jarrett (in jazz "mode") in the past.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt
                Any Djélimady Tounkara or Toumani Diabate, for example ?
                Well, it's perhaps that now the programme has a specific mission to educate new listeners into classical music, such artistes would be seen as off-message . And in any case, one piece of world music simply gets added to one piece of John Williams film music and one piece of lounge jazz and one snippet of news about mice and three reminders to text in about holidays and four programme trails and one teensy piece of questionably accurate information to make an expanding source of complaint and, for some, a not very attractive programme.

It's rather like the early days of RW when the specific mission was to attract a wide range of listeners and there a was a little bit of lots of things which people would complain about individually. And the response would be from those who were mainly interested one new genre: 'But there's only one [name of programme/genre] per week. I mean, how selfish can you get?'

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Mice ?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                    Mice ?
                    Well, I found this.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

The there was the Arthur Askey one. A mouse enters a music shop, and asks to buy a mouse organ. "That's funny", says the shopkeeper, "we had another little mouse in the other day asking for a mouse organ". "Ah, then that would be our Monica".

Now, where's me coat?

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

From Mice to Men - interesting that in today's Grauniad the unsung hero of these boards Roger Wright has a little piece saying how neglected Frank Bridge is and that he intends to do something about it at the Proms and, presumably, elsewhere. Sad therefore that of the 191 composers featured on Breakfast in July we have neither Bridge or Bax, who also gets a favourable mention in the article. With Bruckner also missing perhaps JSB uses up all the B "slots"!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Roger Wright has a little piece saying how neglected Frank Bridge is and that he intends to do something about it at the Proms and, presumably, elsewhere.
                          If Thespian's list is complete:

Bridge Blow out you bugles (5 mins)
                          Bridge Enter Spring (17 mins)
                          Bridge Isabella (13 mins)
                          Bridge Overture 'Rebus' (9 mins)
                          Bridge There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook (11 mins)

Well, that's 'something', no question.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Lovely typo/misprint from the bods who concoct the Schedule... Tchaikovsky arr Percy Grainger. The Glower Waltz.

Well he did glower quite a bit but his music didn't.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              If Thespian's list is complete:
                              Being thick - where can I find Thespian's list?

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Being thick - where can I find Thespian's list?
                                Sorry - here!

(The sticky at the top - I meant to link to the actual thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X