X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    You could always switch to Scala Radio and double their market share.
    It can't be any worse, can it?
    I prefer to have nothing on when I wake up these days!
    I listen to Lyric FM on Saturdays and Martin Handley on Sundays.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      I listen to Lyric FM on Saturdays
      Oh dear, surely Libretto FM would be far more suitable

OG

P.S. Both Libretto Radio and LibrettoFM do exist but, personally, I would not touch either of them with a bargepole!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        I heard a trailer for the new programme about video game music on this morning’s Record Review. I thought it was Elizabeth A reading the script until the voice said ‘I am a composer...’. It was that particular way of speaking as if their tongues were too long and getting in the way of speaking. The similarity was uncanny. Is this a new trend of speaking among young women?
        Slightly concerned about your ear, as the two voices are very obviously different.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          Slightly concerned about your ear, as the two voices are very obviously different.
          Thank you for your concern but it wasn’t the voice itself that caught my attention. It was the manner of speech. Maybe the trailer was too short and I caught the wrong ‘bits’. I have noticed though that the (educated/professional) younger generation (35+?) seems to have a particular way of voice production. Not everybody but enough to notice.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
            Thank you for your concern but it wasn’t the voice itself that caught my attention. It was the manner of speech. Maybe the trailer was too short and I caught the wrong ‘bits’. I have noticed though that the (educated/professional) younger generation (35+?) seems to have a particular way of voice production. Not everybody but enough to notice.
            I mistook (to my chagrin) Verity Sharpe for Suzy Klein the other day. So I have sympathy with Dover's perception.

Comment

• stortoterpsicho
              • Oct 2019

it's a pity. hope EA works it out . she's not likely to be as polished as Martin yet but she's not helped by her producers introducing unnecessary gimmicks no doubt to be 'alternative '. if it ain't broke don't fix it

Comment

• seabright
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                You could always switch to Scala Radio and double their market share.
                It can't be any worse, can it?

I prefer to have nothing on when I wake up these days!
                It's interesting that you should say that, as I've been increasingly reaching for the "off" button on the radio just lately when something ghastly comes on during Breakfast, and finding that silence really is golden, as the old saying goes!

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

The prog's lurching from tired musical cliche to tired musical cliche, with ever shortening 'tracks', and steering away in horror and terror from the complete, the new, the unrivalled in terms of musical performance, all held together by flimsy gimmickry and patronising presentation mode.

Apart from that.............what's not to love?

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

In view of the ongoing exchanges about the presenters and content of the morning schedules this made me smile

Comment

• alycidon
                      • Feb 2013

I don’t know what was being played just after 9.30 this morning which had me switching off and on around three times before it stopped. It must be the most infernal row I have ever heard in my 65 years of listening to R3! It really is going downhill fast.
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                        I don’t know what was being played just after 9.30 this morning which had me switching off and on around three times before it stopped. It must be the most infernal row I have ever heard in my 65 years of listening to R3! It really is going downhill fast.
                        Steve Reich? Meredith Monk came later in the programme...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                          ... this may have been Different Trains, a 1988 work by Steve Reich

I am sorry this didn't, as they say, 'do' anything for you. It repays attentive listening : I find it mesmeric. In a good way.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... this may have been Different Trains, a 1988 work by Steve Reich

I am sorry this didn't, as they say, 'do' anything for you. It repays attentive listening : I find it mesmeric. In a good way.

As do I Vints ......

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Apparently the Breakfast listeners were divided, and active in posting their views, SK gleefully told us.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Apparently the Breakfast listeners were divided, and active in posting their views, SK gleefully told us.
                                A referendum would be ideal in the circumstances, then...

Comment

Working...
                                X