Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stortoterpsicho
    • Oct 2019

it'll take more than simply r3 to convert a cultural perception . r5 is aimed at under 30's but is a cultural desert. britpop and mobo is as cultural as it gets.all culture not just classical music should be part of the national debate

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by stortoterpsicho View Post
      it'll take more than simply r3 to convert a cultural perception . r5 is aimed at under 30's but is a cultural desert. britpop and mobo is as cultural as it gets.all culture not just classical music should be part of the national debate
      If all the arts were a valued part of the National Curriculum it would help. If they are not presented to children as a normal part of life then it becomes very difficult to catch on later.

Comment

• stortoterpsicho
        • Oct 2019

yup in my view it's essential

Comment

• Lawrence
          • May 2015

Rubbish indeed. I have more or less given up on R3 Breakfast these days and definitely will no longer be listening to it on Saturdays. I know I'm an Ancient of Days but I'm afraid I simply cannot stand this rubbish, sorry.

Comment

• Lawrence
            • May 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I try to learn a new word every day, so thanks for that!
            (I was actually trying to avoid saying straight out that 'I hate cats', which I do because they kill birds and appear incapable of displaying affection).
            As someone said: "Dogs have friends, cats have servants."

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              If all the arts were a valued part of the National Curriculum it would help. If they are not presented to children as a normal part of life then it becomes very difficult to catch on later.
              I think the current narrative of the UK as some kind of cultural Galapagos that has no connection to the rest of Europe doesn't help.

Though the "National Curriculum" doesn't apply to "free" schools or private schools

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Could not agree more. My wife has fond memories of classical music being played at morning assembly. This has fostered her interest in music. I had no exposure to classical music and I had to investigate it myself.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  Could not agree more. My wife has fond memories of classical music being played at morning assembly. This has fostered her interest in music. I had no exposure to classical music and I had to investigate it myself.
                  Yes. Some schools still do it.

At primary school, I remember the teacher playing the piano as we walked out of assembly. One she played frequently really grabbed my attention. Eventually I found out what it was: the Gavotte from Grieg's Holberg Suite. I didn't hear it again until the suite was a set work for O-level music some years later. But I felt as though I knew it, even so.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    The important thing to remember IMV about these experineces is that those who "discover" music in this way (the school assembly route) are the ones who are really unusual and odd.
                    The key bit of your statement isn't the fact that classical music was played at school BUT that you were curious enough to investigate what it was.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                      Rubbish indeed. I have more or less given up on R3 Breakfast these days and definitely will no longer be listening to it on Saturdays. I know I'm an Ancient of Days but I'm afraid I simply cannot stand this rubbish, sorry.
                      Today to, I am sure, delight all listeners here, Petroc gave us Copland’s Rodeo with potted history, dob .... in fact the works ......

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        Today to, I am sure, delight all listeners here, Petroc gave us Copland’s Rodeo with potted history, dob .... in fact the works ......
                        Oh - sorry I missed that!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          The important thing to remember IMV about these experineces is that those who "discover" music in this way (the school assembly route) are the ones who are really unusual and odd.
                          --Sigh -- . Something I've always known really, but as ever Mr GG you bring the stark reality home.....

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                            --Sigh -- . Something I've always known really, but as ever Mr GG you bring the stark reality home.....
                            Nothing wrong with being odd

Comment

• hmvman
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                              Same here....

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                I was most concerned by the implied threat that, now Petroc knows how Copland pronounced it, he will be playing it again soon so that he can introduce it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X