X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Concerti Armonici - are they by Pergolesi, Wassenauer or Ricciotti?
    Who cares apart from musicologists? They are damn good pieces which give much pleasure.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      Who cares apart from musicologists? They are damn good pieces which give much pleasure.
      Spot on and don’t tell the hipp crowd, but I Musici or ASMF Marriner do them beautifully!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Read the Wikipedia article on 'La fille mal gardee' more carefully and I think you will find that the main motif of the Clog Dance music was indeed written by one Peter Ludwig Hertel. John Lanchbery fashioned it into the piece we know today. Hérold was only one of the composers featured in that famous Ashton/Royal Ballet production and he had nothing to do with that number.
        Mea maxima culpa.

The iPlayer listed it as by Hérold, but I should know better than to trust that as a resource (see the occasions when Dame Ethel Smyth has been depicted as Ethel Smith the Hammond organ queen).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

So surely the correct composer should receive the credit? Shouldn't everyone care, if only for the sake of basic fairness?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            So surely the correct composer should receive the credit? Shouldn't everyone care, if only for the sake of basic fairness?
            Well yes, but it seems there were a lot of folk singers in the past called Trad!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Well yes, but it seems there were a lot of folk singers in the past called Trad!
              Indeed - but their work isn't attributed to somebody else! Credit where credit's due, I say.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Indeed - but their work isn't attributed to somebody else! Credit where credit's due, I say.
                Anon?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Anon?
                  Who's making a name for herself.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Anon?
                    That isn't "somebody else" - it's "we don't know".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

That isn't "somebody else" - it's "we don't know".
                      Oh, I always thought it was someone who just went on, anon, anon, anon - rather like me!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

When I switched the radio on this morning I had to double check the clock as what I was hearing sounded just like SK - over-enunciating schoolmarm.
                        It would be such a shame if GM becomes an SK clone. Mistakes I can live with - if only because some of them at least I don't realise are mistakes, higgorant soul that I am(ideal am schedule fodder see...)- but not the voice delivery and apparent disdain for the listener.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          When I switched the radio on this morning I had to double check the clock as what I was hearing sounded just like SK - over-enunciating schoolmarm.
                          It would be such a shame if GM becomes an SK clone. Mistakes I can live with - if only because some of them at least I don't realise are mistakes, higgorant soul that I am(ideal am schedule fodder see...)- but not the voice delivery and apparent disdain for the listener.
                          How can you confuse the two? True, they both have the BBC attitude problem (to very different degrees), but Suzy has a pronounced estuary accent, whereas Georgia is more RP.

Comment

• Paulie55
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Conversely, when I switched on Radio 3in the car on the way to work, did my ears deceive me when GM announced we were now going to hear Chabrier's Espna arranged by Ravel? Afterwards, instead of correcting the error, she said we didn't actually hear Ravel's version. Am I missing something here?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
                              Conversely, when I switched on Radio 3in the car on the way to work, did my ears deceive me when GM announced we were now going to hear Chabrier's Espna arranged by Ravel? Afterwards, instead of correcting the error, she said we didn't actually hear Ravel's version. Am I missing something here?
                              This is lack of really basic knowledge. It seems to me the main quality one needs to be R3 presenter these days is confidence.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Paulie55 View Post
                                Maybe tomorrow we'll get Chabrier's orchestration of Ravel’s Rapsodie espagnole.

Comment

Working...
                                X