X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    It reminded me more of Julia Bradbury pretending she was struggling on her first Wainwright climb. It was only later that it was revealed that she was an experience walker, going back to her childhood. EA was playing the part of the helpless damsel, and it wasn’t clever.
    I think there is a bit of a difference between a high profile TV personality deceiving a primetime TV audience and a presenter on a niche radio station admitting to difficulties following the Elgar trail 'not helped by totally inappropriate footwear'. It didn't come across to me as 'helpless damsel', although I can well imagine it being recounted in such a manner(cue: simper, silly me, giggles) by some others...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Did you, perhaps, intend this as your link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...ng-mindfulness
      Oh, how ironic! My link was obviously the R3 humorist's 'first step' of the five towards stress reduction!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        I thought it was a nice story and wonderfully showed the ditziness and perseverance of youth ......
        ???

She's hardly a child, even if she talks to us as if we all were.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Oh, how ironic! My link was obviously the R3 humorist's 'first step' of the five towards stress reduction!
          Not a problem ff without the link I would never have seen the mega ganzie ......
          Last edited by antongould; 01-06-19, 15:29.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Having listened to the last of TTN I kept the radio on to see who was presenting. After EA's Blue Peter introduction, I noticed the sense of relief I felt at the sound of Debbie Russ's voice reading the news: measured, level, careful delivery of a warm 'contralto' announcer's voice.

Then I switched off.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              ... Debbie Russ's voice reading the news: measured, level, careful delivery of a warm 'contralto' announcer's voice. ....
              I am developing a hypothesis, no less, that the most attractive radio presenter voices have a register towards the bass: contralto in women, perhaps a baritone in men.

Hence my remark about Debbie Russ above. I enjoy Jonathan Swain's presentation greatly - it's partly the timbre of his voice, but also many tiny inflections expressing warmth or mild amusement - he's very good at that. Skellers is an exception who proves [i.e. tests] the rule since his voice has a higher pitch. I think the depth (bass-ness) of a voice of both sexes is a conveyer of authority.

Older forumites may recall John Snagge of famously basso-profundo voice, who was wheeled out for Home Service announcements of great import, such as war being declared or losing the Ashes. (And who, ironically it might be said, died of throat cancer.)

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                I am developing a hypothesis, no less, that the most attractive radio presenter voices have a register towards the bass: contralto in women, perhaps a baritone in men.

Hence my remark about Debbie Russ above. I enjoy Jonathan Swain's presentation greatly - it's partly the timbre of his voice, but also many tiny inflections expressing warmth or mild amusement - he's very good at that. Skellers is an exception who proves [i.e. tests] the rule since his voice has a higher pitch. I think the depth (bass-ness) of a voice of both sexes is a conveyer of authority.

Older forumites may recall John Snagge of famously basso-profundo voice, who was wheeled out for Home Service announcements of great import, such as war being declared or losing the Ashes. (And who, ironically it might be said, died of throat cancer.)
                That made me think of the way that Maggie Thatcher's voice lowered over her career, and I came across this.
                Baroness Thatcher was so often cited as an example of what voice coaching can do for the aspiring politician, that I’m loath to reveal the truth.

I find the comment about women's voices having got lower in general interesting; I can't say it's something I've noticed, but then I've not had occasion to consider it before.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Debbie Russ! Such fond, fond memories!

Not that her voice was always in the Mezzo register:

small clip from Go for a take, in which Tiger finds Reg Varney from On the buses fame sleeping on the set of the Double Deckers. Tiger is older in this cli...

(jumpt to about 1 minute in)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    That made me think of the way that Maggie Thatcher's voice lowered over her career, and I came across this.
                    Baroness Thatcher was so often cited as an example of what voice coaching can do for the aspiring politician, that I’m loath to reveal the truth.

I find the comment about women's voices having got lower in general interesting; I can't say it's something I've noticed, but then I've not had occasion to consider it before.
                    It could almost be breaking news, then...

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

I guess I should thank Ms/Miss Alker for driving me into the arms of Paddy O'Connell, the genial host of 'BH' on Radio 4 - a programme of which I have become quite fond in recent weeks.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        I guess I should thank Ms/Miss Alker for driving me into the arms of Paddy O'Connell, the genial host of 'BH' on Radio 4 - a programme of which I have become quite fond in recent weeks.
                        I happened to tune into 3 this morning just as Ms Alker was announcing the next item, what a deadpan, boring voice! 30 seconds, probably less and it was back to Radio Cornwall!

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          I happened to tune into 3 this morning just as Ms Alker was announcing the next item, what a deadpan, boring voice! 30 seconds, probably less and it was back to Radio Cornwall!
                          Blimey, as bad as that eh?
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Fans of Alkers will find her on Afternoon Concert today.

And she seems to have brought Bravo Man along with her.......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Alkers' seltzer...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

I'm just wondering, um, about Dukas - Polyeucte. Would St Polyeuctus really have been born in 259 BC?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X