• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Not on my radar, anton!
    You are not, IMVVHO, missing a great deal cloughers .... they played one of his “contemporary compositions” .... not good ....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      You are not, IMVVHO, missing a great deal cloughers .... they played one of his “contemporary compositions” .... not good ....
      Some lovely jazz has been emanating from The Sage this afternoon though, anton. Check my thread over on the jazz board, and click on the links I've provided.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Some lovely jazz has been emanating from The Sage this afternoon though, anton. Check my thread over on the jazz board, and click on the links I've provided.
        Will do S_A - thanks very much .....

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

While I'm usually happy to defend the musical fare on 'Breakfast', I found 2 last movements, played in fairly rapid succession, from 2 popular symphonies (Tchaikowsky 4th and Saint Saens 3rd) a tad indigestible.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            While I'm usually happy to defend the musical fare on 'Breakfast', I found 2 last movements, played in fairly rapid succession, from 2 popular symphonies (Tchaikowsky 4th and Saint Saens 3rd) a tad indigestible.
            Not the best musical mix I have heard ...... but fear not Skellers will surely save us

Comment

• peterthekeys
              • Aug 2014

I have to confess that I emailed in a request, and that, to my astonishment, it got played.

It was the morning after the Notre Dame fire, at a time when it wasn't clear whether (or how much of) the great Cavaille-Coll organ had survived. So with this in mind, I suggested that it might be nice to include the Widor Toccata on the Notre Dame organ. At least one other listener had apparently requested the same thing, so accordingly they broadcast a recording by Pierre Cochereau (think the fastest performance that I've ever heard, and by no means the most accurate - but it certainly packed a mighty punch and hit the spot as far as I was concerned.)

(It's since become apparent that - at least going by the outer aspect - the organ seems to have survived. As yet, it's not clear what damage has been done to the insides of it (I just hope that they dismantle it and move it to safe storage as soon as possible: all that water trickling down isn't going to do it any good.)

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Yes just think what a great start to the day, had the two works been played in full!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Oh dear oh dear... I simply cannot tolerate E A's upspeak.... insufferable.

Off at once!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Oh dear oh dear... I simply cannot tolerate E A's upspeak.... insufferable.

Off at once!
                    They are just plain wrong about her. She wont bring the 6 music audience,( and especially at this time on a Saturday) and she will turn off the core audience.

This is a pretty disastrous business model, really.

I read her twitter account when she started her R3 programmes, and it tells you all you need to know. R3 is guilty of lazy recruitment at at best.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      I read her twitter account when she started her R3 programmes, and it tells you all you need to know. R3 is guilty of lazy recruitment at at best.
                      I read her Facebook page at the time - and the comments of her fans told you a lot about it too. It was the same when Tim Vine tweeted that he was on Essential Classics, "talking about classical music, which I know nothing about". Basically, Radio 3 and its audience are "them" not us and a bit of a joke but, hey, if they're gonna pay you/give you free publicity - go for it, girl/man.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I read her Facebook page at the time - and the comments of her fans told you a lot about it too. It was the same when Tim Vine tweeted that he was on Essential Classics, "talking about classical music, which I know nothing about". Basically, Radio 3 and its audience are "them" not us and a bit of a joke but, hey, if they're gonna pay you/give you free publicity - go for it, girl/man.

Her Mum loves the Walton Violin Concerto so she can’t be all bad ....... ????

Well only 97.4% bad maybe ...... ????

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Her Mum loves the Walton Violin Concerto so she can’t be all bad ....... ????
                          Perhaps give her mum a trial presenting, then?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Not if she prefers it to The Viola Concerto.

Mind you the precedent with Robbie Savage’s mum suggests this could be a rich seam......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

I personally find her presentation style something of a trial - she sounds like an excitable 12-year-old schoolgirl.

Comment

• antongould
                                • Nov 2010

I personally find her presentation style something of a trial - she sounds like an excitable 12-year-old schoolgirl.
                                Generational Shift surely - to what the BBC is constantly told has to be its target audience she sounds fine .....

Comment

Working...
                                X