Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyJW
    • Jan 2011

My partner, who is much more tolerant than me, and I were listening to the "SMP Show" and 'Your Call' came on and he said "for goodness sake turn this c**p off" and we did!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
      What's wrong with that?
      Nothing wrong with it per se but no-one else wants to know about it.

I had a baby on my sofa on Christmas Day as well as on New Year's Day. (the first time it was sick on my knee, the second time it left poo marks)
      Too much information.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
        My partner, who is much more tolerant than me, and I were listening to the "SMP Show" and 'Your Call' came on and he said "for goodness sake turn this c**p off" and we did!
        So did I. Was there a musical connection? Then again, who cares? It's a sort of vanity publishing, this 'call in' thing, isn't it...

Thanks for that (#1094), by the way Osborn. Your brand of grunge irony never fails to raise a smile and occasionally a
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

I had a baby on my sofa on Christmas Day as well as on New Year's Day
          a very rapid gestation
          oh, I see what you mean

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

What's wrong with that? I had a baby on my sofa on Christmas Day as well as on New Year's Day. (the first time it was sick on my knee, the second time it left poo marks)
            It’s broadcasting somebody’s personal matters in detail that’s wrong. I expect Radio3 to tell us about classical music. Come to think of it, someone asked on one of these threads if we had all lost the sense of privacy.

Thanks Caliban and MickyD for the warning. From time to time, I am tempted to turn the radio on in the morning but I shall stick to TTN on LA.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              a very rapid gestation
              oh, I see what you mean

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                a very rapid gestation
                oh, I see what you mean

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  It’s broadcasting somebody’s personal matters in detail that’s wrong. I expect Radio3 to tell us about classical music. Come to think of it, someone asked on one of these threads if we had all lost the sense of privacy.

Thanks Caliban and MickyD for the warning. From time to time, I am tempted to turn the radio on in the morning but I shall stick to TTN on LA.
                  Glad you heeded the warning, doversoul...it really is still that bad!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                    • Nov 2010

Oh gawd, SMP's witterings were insufferable this morning and all delivered in her scattergun monotone.

I really would have departed to an online classical station by now but I just don't have the time to be logging on to the PC etc first thing in the morning. Aaaarrrrggghh!!

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

....well between 06.30 and 07.00 I was driving through back roads in Yorkshire I didn't know avoiding floods and fallen trees and the delightful SMP was very welcome company. The music was I thought well selected ending as I made it to the Car Park with Britten conducting Bridge's majestic The Sea. The thought of Brendel and Schubert yet to come did make me a touch envious....
                      However on returning home and finding these attacks by Rumpole and others I listened to the rest on iplayer and found little if anything to scare the horses IMHO one of the best I have heard recently.
                      Your Call doesn't bother me the lady making lots of babies on a late 70s sofa was maybe the nearest we've had to the mother's funeral episode that caused a Forum outcry.
                      Today's on the other hand was I found interesting wartime trains, anti smoking and justified acclaim for the North Northumberland coastline what more could you want?

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        ....well between 06.30 and 07.00 I was driving through back roads in Yorkshire I didn't know avoiding floods and fallen trees and the delightful SMP was very welcome company. The music was I thought well selected ending as I made it to the Car Park with Britten conducting Bridge's majestic The Sea. The thought of Brendel and Schubert yet to come did make me a touch envious....
                        However on returning home and finding these attacks by Rumpole and others I listened to the rest on iplayer and found little if anything to scare the horses IMHO one of the best I have heard recently.
                        Your Call doesn't bother me the lady making lots of babies on a late 70s sofa was maybe the nearest we've had to the mother's funeral episode that caused a Forum outcry.
                        Today's on the other hand was I found interesting wartime trains, anti smoking and justified acclaim for the North Northumberland coastline what more could you want?
                        ..well, some of it.

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

agreed but we had to have the news!!!!!!!!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I don't think we needed any further evidence that you enjoy and appreciate this style of broadcasting. Nor do we need any persuasion that a lot of people do: the familiar, friendly voice, the regular news updates, the human interest ... So what then?

We compare this with a style (which we/I prefer) that puts the focus on the music. Consequence: you have a programme you enjoy and find interesting; I don't listen to it at all.

Your argument, though, doesn't seem to move beyond the point that you enjoy the programme. Against that is the argument that Radio 3 should return to higher intellectual, critical and more searching standards, as having been, from its launch, fundamental to its remit. Whether I, an individual listener, ever come back to listen to it is irrelevant. It is (I believe) a service which the BBC should provide; instead it is popularising its content to attract a wider audience. In fact, it is on the way to becoming a variant of every other popular radio station, which happens to play classical music. In which case, why not, say, jazz?
                            Last edited by french frank; 06-01-12, 12:32. Reason: Inserted comma for clarification
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

I want that to be on Radio 4, where it belongs.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                                • Nov 2010

The first full week of the year has even finished and already nearly half of the works in the 'warhorse' section of my survey have had an entry, some more than once! This doesn't bode well for the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X