X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by willietell View Post

Great news! Emma was very good on her first outing at the end of August. Yay, I can start listening to Saturday Breakfast again after years of avoiding it because of Ms. Alker. I'll just have to remember to be ready to switch off at 9 o'clock and listen to my own library for the rest of the morning until TS and Jools have gone
    Delighted, as always that vints is delighted .......... I have recently brought the horrible Musk to his very knees by leaving Twitter - I now occasionally peruse Threads, which is probably controlled by Putin, and Emma is a very frequent poster. Today she gave us this

"DELIGHTED to receive the first draft of the playlist for my first regular Saturday Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 3! I can’t wait to get started.

Tune in on Saturday 5th October if you can. The show starts at 0630 UK time and will be available afterwards in the UK on BBC Sounds."

Now we have occasionally pondered on this thread who chooses the playlist and when ..... does this bring any light to the darkness ....... ??????

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Delighted, as always that vints is delighted .......... I have recently brought the horrible Musk to his very knees by leaving Twitter - I now occasionally peruse Threads, which is probably controlled by Putin, and Emma is a very frequent poster. Today she gave us this

"DELIGHTED to receive the first draft of the playlist for my first regular Saturday Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 3! I can’t wait to get started.

Tune in on Saturday 5th October if you can. The show starts at 0630 UK time and will be available afterwards in the UK on BBC Sounds."

Now we have occasionally pondered on this thread who chooses the playlist and when ..... does this bring any light to the darkness ....... ??????
      Perhaps Stanford could help.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Now we have occasionally pondered on this thread who chooses the playlist and when .....
        Probably AI

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I've always felt that the objective was for presenters to have as much influence as they felt they wanted (it makes for a 'distinctive ' shooooowwww). But producers have general oversight and above them is the Procrustean presence of the ... <shudder> .... controller.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I've always felt that the objective was for presenters to have as much influence as they felt they wanted (it makes for a 'distinctive ' shooooowwww). But producers have general oversight and above them is the Procrustean presence of the ... <shudder> .... controller.
            Should we all be Procrustean?
            Would it help, because then our hair might curl (as the adage would predict) rather than our toes at the 'choice' of music we're subjected to.(Actually, having just seen what Procrustes did to his victims, I suspect not! If he chopped people's legs off there would be no toes to curl!)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Should we all be Procrustean?
              Would it help, because then our hair might curl (as the adage would predict) rather than our toes at the 'choice' of music we're subjected to.(Actually, having just seen what Procrustes did to his victims, I suspect not! If he chopped people's legs off there would be no toes to curl!)
              I use it in the OED definition: "Of, relating to, or resembling the practices of Procrustes ...; (hence) enforcing uniformity or conformity without regard to natural variation or individuality."

As in the 1872 example: The aggregation of large crowds necessitates discipline—Procrustian rules—laws which know neither turning nor change!
              All Year Round 12 October 514/2

Pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Great news! Emma was very good on her first outing at the end of August. Yay, I can start listening to Saturday Breakfast again after years of avoiding it because of Ms. Alker. I'll just have to remember to be ready to switch off at 9 o'clock and listen to my own library for the rest of the morning until TS and Jools have gone
                Left R3 on at 0630 after TTN, in the hope of hearing Emma's first programme - but got a few minutes of Ms A's last outing. (Can't say I'm sorry....). No 'advert' before Breakfast began - is that just a weekday thing or have they abandoned it?

Comment

• willietell
                  • Nov 2020

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Left R3 on at 0630 after TTN, in the hope of hearing Emma's first programme - but got a few minutes of Ms A's last outing. (Can't say I'm sorry....). No 'advert' before Breakfast began - is that just a weekday thing or have they abandoned it?
                  Emma's first Saturday Breakfast will be next Saturday, 5th October. It's disappointing though that she's 'received the first draft of the playlist', which implies that she's had no input into the programme content. I switched off this morning at the end of TTN to avoid Ms. Alker so I don't know about the adverts. I hope they have abandoned them. They are mind-numbingly intrusive and patronising. I never want to hear the words 'immerse' or 'immersive' again! LOL

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

It's disappointing though that she's 'received the first draft of the playlist', which implies that she's had no input into the programme content.
                    It's not unusual for new presenters to work their way into music input. Emma Clarke's main skill thus far seems to have been voiceover (no bad thing!) - she's famed for intoning 'Mind the Gap'. it's not clear how wide her knowledge is of the 'classical' canon but the voice should be a welcome change.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Emma's first Saturday Breakfast will be next Saturday, 5th October. It's disappointing though that she's 'received the first draft of the playlist', which implies that she's had no input into the programme content. I switched off this morning at the end of TTN to avoid Ms. Alker so I don't know about the adverts. I hope they have abandoned them. They are mind-numbingly intrusive and patronising. I never want to hear the words 'immerse' or 'immersive' again! LOL
                      In that case, you'd better avoid 'Night Tracks' !

Comment

• willietell
                        • Nov 2020

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's not unusual for new presenters to work their way into music input. Emma Clarke's main skill thus far seems to have been voiceover (no bad thing!) - she's famed for intoning 'Mind the Gap'. it's not clear how wide her knowledge is of the 'classical' canon but the voice should be a welcome change.
                        Good point. And yes, she'll be a very welcome change - she's already shown that with her first outing a few weeks ago when she hosted Saturday Breakfast when Ms. Alker was indisposed

Comment

• willietell
                          • Nov 2020

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

In that case, you'd better avoid 'Night Tracks' !
                          I already do The trailer for that programme is especially annoying. "An immersive soundtrack for late-night listening" indeed!
                          Last edited by willietell; 29-09-24, 19:27.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

They’ve just played Walton Orb and Sceptre (again). I’m beginning to think they only have one recording as it’s the Royal Liverpool PO / Groves recording which has that very prominent in the balance and highly virtuosic first trumpeter.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

“Hi it's Emma. I'm just writing my show for this week's Saturday breakfast on BBC Radio 3, and there's a bit where I have to say “this is Radio 3 and I'm Emma Clarke” and honestly it's going to take all the self control in the world not to go AARRGHH! WOOO! or just scream. It's just incredible! Tune in if you can. Saturday morning 0630.”

I make no comment

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

“Hi it's Emma. I'm just writing my show for this week's Saturday breakfast on BBC Radio 3, and there's a bit where I have to say “this is Radio 3 and I'm Emma Clarke” and honestly it's going to take all the self control in the world not to go AARRGHH! WOOO! or just scream. It's just incredible! Tune in if you can. Saturday morning 0630.”

I make no comment
                                AG, when was this tempter on?

Comment

Working...
                                X