X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’m afraid I always hear it more perversely, not unconnected with certain outrageous slurs and libels uttered against the Welsh…
    Flanders and Swann weren't too complimentary about them either, claiming that 'they sing far too often - and flat'

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      "For we like sheep" playing now on Breakfast

I always mishear it...
      A similar misunderstanding appears in the wonderful and hilarious Yorkshire dialect story 'Goin' t'Messiah' which features a Golcar chap's first visit to (presumably) Huddersfield Town Hall to hear the work. Part of the dialect piece goes:

...."Then there was a bit of bother about some sheep that was lost. I don’t know who they belonged to but one lot of singers must have been very fond of mutton ‘cos they kept on singin' “All we like sheep “. I couldn’t help saying to t'chap sat next to me that sheep’s alright in moderation but I like a bit of beef mesel' and he looked daggers at me and said “shush!!” – so I shushed."

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’m afraid I always hear it more perversely, not unconnected with certain outrageous slurs and libels uttered against the Welsh…
        A student field trip to Wales inevitably brought out the sheep stories - and the wellies didn't escape either. Not all the members of the party had come across those particular folk legends and weren't overly happy with the response they got to their puzzlement.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

My loyalty to 'Breakfast' is being sorely tested as the playlist becomes more soothing, more relaxing, more predictable, less adventurous, less nutritious and less appealing.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            My loyalty to 'Breakfast' is being sorely tested as the playlist becomes more soothing, more relaxing, more predictable, less adventurous, less nutritious and less appealing.
            I gave up on Saturday Breakfast quite some time ago as I couldn't get on with Ms Alker, but today's schedules are all "Proms countdown" which doesn't do much for the content and approach.

Comment

Working...
            X