X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Was reading an article in The Guardian this morning about ultra-processed foods. "The contention of [Chris van Tulleken's] bestselling book Ultra-Processed People is that food engineered by corporations with additives and emulsifiers and modified starches essentially “hacks our brains”, disrupting the normal regulation of appetite. It tricks us into eating more by being softer, slicker, saltier, sweeter than whole foods ... "

Radio 3/Breakfast as the broadcasting equivalent of Coco Pops, using additives to persuade more and more people to consume more and more?
    It’s not that bad really , There is no sugar rush with Breakfast . You are undermining a legitimate argument through exaggeration. I think the appropriate cereal comparisonwould be Weetabix when what’s called for is a complex mix of granola , muesli , fresh fruit and high quality yoghurt. Followed by home baked bread , home made peel rich Seville marmalade and a pot of Assam.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

It’s not that bad really , There is no sugar rush with Breakfast . You are undermining a legitimate argument through exaggeration. I think the appropriate cereal comparisonwould be Weetabix when what’s called for is a complex mix of granola , muesli , fresh fruit and high quality yoghurt. Followed by home baked bread , home made peel rich Seville marmalade and a pot of Assam.
      I think that takes the metaphor a bit too literally! My definition of R3's 'additives' would be presenter input (other than music-related), a mix of different bits and pieces, little features of one sort and another - all the stuff that's added to make a programme more 'lively', listenable and, above all, consumed for as long as they can persuade you to keep on listening, dipping in and dipping out . As we know, RAJAR's figures for total 'listener hours' (share) and hours per listener per week were always what the commercial broadcasters looked for. Now, so does the BBC. The number of hours which come under the heading of presenter-led miscellany-cum-magazine fills most of the daytime schedule: Breakfast-Essential Classics-Classical Live. Pause for CotW, then swing back into action with Mixtape and In Tune. And it looks as if even the concert is padded out with Smarties. Where's the fibre?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think that takes the metaphor a bit too literally! My definition of R3's 'additives' would be presenter input (other than music-related), a mix of different bits and pieces, little features of one sort and another - all the stuff that's added to make a programme more 'lively', listenable and, above all, consumed for as long as they can persuade you to keep on listening, dipping in and dipping out . As we know, RAJAR's figures for total 'listener hours' (share) and hours per listener per week were always what the commercial broadcasters looked for. Now, so does the BBC. The number of hours which come under the heading of presenter-led miscellany-cum-magazine fills most of the daytime schedule: Breakfast-Essential Classics-Classical Live. Pause for CotW, then swing back into action with Mixtape and In Tune. And it looks as if even the concert is padded out with Smarties. Where's the fibre?
        FF - the whole organisation is now led by a former marketing bloke from Pepsi - a product which is complete fat inducing sxxx . I mean a seriously
        evil product. Also not as good as Coke .

What do you expect? We are wasting our time engaging with them . Honestly we’d be better off reading Proust or making an honest buck .
        We must hope for better times . This too will pass.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

FF - the whole organisation is now led by a former marketing bloke from Pepsi - a product which is complete fat inducing sxxx . I mean a seriously
          evil product. Also not as good as Coke
          Both are pretty good for cleaning up rusty bike parts....

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

Both are pretty good for cleaning up rusty bike parts....
            I used to clean pennies in them …

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

...the whole organisation is now led by a former marketing bloke from Pepsi....
              I didn't know that.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                I didn't know that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

That accounts for all the fizz in Radio 3 nowadays, then.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Setting aside lashings of bias, I am very much enjoying Petroc’s latest wanders around the land of my youth. Yesterday, early doors, he majored on Otterburn where I went to primary school and played cricket ….. shamefully I am learning a lot about my homeland - Hexham,where I went to big school, is the birthplace of of Sir Mark Elder … how did I not know this ….. ?????

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      Setting aside lashings of bias, I am very much enjoying Petroc’s latest wanders around the land of my youth. Yesterday, early doors, he majored on Otterburn where I went to primary school and played cricket ….. shamefully I am learning a lot about my homeland - Hexham,where I went to big school, is the birthplace of of Sir Mark Elder … how did I not know this ….. ?????

Now appreciating it from afar (well, not that far)

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I'm sorry to say I've never visited that part of the country except for Carlisle and Berwick. Is it, perhaps, the least-populated , and least well-known part of England?

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          I'm sorry to say I've never visited that part of the country except for Carlisle and Berwick. Is it, perhaps, the least-populated , and least well-known part of England?
                          Cragside - the first house in the world to have electric lights - is well worth a visit. If you decide to visit Carlisle from the south, I would strongly recommend that you make sure to cross the wonderful Ribblehead Viaduct en route!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            That's the usual state of affairs. Having visitors is often the first time people visit what is on their doorstep. Moving into an area rather than growing up in it will tend to result in efforts to find out more, presumably simply because it is new and therefore "visible".
                            Re: Sir Mark Elder and your old school that would depend perhaps on how much you have maintained interest(reunions, Old Boys Association etc) since leaving, as he wouldn't have been a well known figure while you were at school I think?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Re: Sir Mark Elder and your old school that would depend perhaps on how much you have maintained interest(reunions, Old Boys Association etc) since leaving, as he wouldn't have been a well known figure while you were at school I think?
                              Thr "big school" in Hexham is the High School. According to Wiki Sir Mark Elder went to primary school (unnamed, possibly in Hexham) but then went to Bryanston School near Blandford Forum in Dorset (which, coincidentally, is also where JEG went...

...)

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Thr "big school" in Hexham is the High School. According to Wiki Sir Mark Elder went to primary school (unnamed, possibly in Hexham) but then went to Bryanston School near Blandford Forum in Dorset (which, coincidentally, is also where JEG went...

...)
                                Oops! A case of my brain reading the words and putting a completely different interpretation on them - thanks for the correction.

Comment

Working...
                                X