X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

In the worst example of this that I've come across, the BBC sent a reporter from London to cover a major story in Ipswich for the 6 p.m. news, and immediately afterwards a Look East reporter who had also been covering the story was joined by the regular Norwich presenter and these two then proceeded to interview each other from the same spot occupied earlier by the chap sent down from London.
    Having only three BBC reporters at a major story used to mean it wasn’t a major story. When you add in network , local radio even the odd online person sniffing around you could often find half a dozen and that’s without all the support production and technical people. To be fair that number has massively reduced over the years by the simple expedient of sacking people and getting one person to do two even three jobs. Some of those on screen reporters are amongst the hardest working people in the media - often putting in 06.00 to 22.00 days. The reason the London bod is there used to be because network didn’t want some yokel (exact phrase I’ve heard used ) popping up on their bulletin. All that prejudice has gone out of the window now as there just aren’t enough reporters to cover it all.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      ... I imagine once one was up in either Oxford* or Cambridge one would have no desire to go up, down or indeed across to the other place!

(always amused by the Cambridge putdown as Oxford being "a light industrial town in the South Midlands")
      ... from London I had to take the down train in order to go up to Oxford. And I assume the same was true for those who attended the Fenland Polytechnic....

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        And I assume the same was true for those who attended the Fenland Polytechnic....
        You mean Anglia Ruskin University?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=LMcD;n1300558]

I believe one comes down from, and goes up to, London. Unfortunately, as Ipswich hasn't got much going for it, one would, in a sense, be coming down from Norwich to Ipswich even though one was heading up to London.
          One of the numerous reasons for my decision to stop watching BBC News was that it is increasingly being used to promote other BBC programmes.
          [/QUOTE
          In football at the very least one goes down from Ipswich to Norwich.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Might that be a reference to the Pete Seeger song in which 'they go to the university and they all get put in boxes, little boxes, all the time'.?
            Thing is the boxes are much smaller than in Pete’s time and even more “ticky-tacky” . The horror stories I hear from builders and owners about modern building methods would definitely put me off buying even million pound new builds - not that I could afford it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... from London I had to take the down train in order to go up to Oxford. And I assume the same was true for those who attended the Fenland Polytechnic....
              It would be simpler for everyone to use "up" for travelling anywhere north of east to west; "across" for going either east or west; and "down" for anywhere to the south of east-west, surely? This would mean, for example, that travelling on GWR from Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare one would say one was going down to Weston, but if stopping off at Swindon one would be travelling across to Swindon.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

It would be simpler for everyone to use "up" for travelling anywhere north of east to west; "across" for going either east or west; and "down" for anywhere to the south of east-west, surely? This would mean, for example, that travelling on GWR from Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare one would say one was going down to Weston, but if stopping off at Swindon one would be travelling across to Swindon.
                Hear, Hear!

That is effectively what I'm driving at...

...though Glaswegians go through to Edinburgh, I believe.
                Last edited by Old Grumpy; 07-03-24, 19:13.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Hear, Hear!

That is effectively what I'm driving at...

...though Glaswegians go throughto Edinburgh, I believe.
                  And we drive out to places in the countryside, and possibly over to Weston, (depending where you're starting from ) and in to Bristol (from out).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serrano
                    • Jun 2023

Originally posted by willietell View Post

I sincerely hope not. Saturday Breakfast has been a no-go area for me for a long time because I struggle to understand what Ms Alker is saying most of the time. So I only listen on Saturdays when someone stands in for her (usually Martin until now). Otherwise the Saturday Breakfast slot is a chance to pull out an LP or CD until Record Review at 9.
                    Agreed 100%. Thank goodness for Hannah French this morning.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serrano View Post

Agreed 100%. Thank goodness for Hannah French this morning.
                      Indeed - but you'll need to line up more LPs/CDs once the new schedule kicks in!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Not sure if we have a specific Sunday Breakfast thread, but just checking the schedule this morning I see that the programme is described as follows:

Classical escape

Breakfast
                        Martin Handley presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show with music that captures the mood of Sunday morning. Email 3breakfast@bbc.co.uk

What are we supposed to be escaping from?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Film music?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Film music?

Sadly not; there's just been a reminder!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Not sure if we have a specific Sunday Breakfast thread, but just checking the schedule this morning I see that the programme is described as follows:

Classical escape

Breakfast
                              Martin Handley presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show with music that captures the mood of Sunday morning. Email 3breakfast@bbc.co.uk

Perhaps it's a reference to MH escaping...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Perhaps it's a reference to MH escaping...
                                The Great Escape for MH followed by The Poisoned Chalice?

Comment

Working...
                                X