Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosie55
    • Oct 2011

Here's the link to the Hummel. Just had another listen - it cheered me up.
    Starts around 1 hour 40mins
    Kate Molleson presents Radio 3's classical breakfast show, featuring listener requests.

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Who was playing ? Must give it a listen.

Comment

• crb11
      • Jan 2011

Thanks for posting this and glad you appreciated it. Christine is my aunt, so I'll circulate the link. She doesn't get onto the radio very often. For information, she is (or at least was) probably the UK's leading player of Hummel's piano music which nobody was playing at the time, and she discovered when looking around partly for music which can be managed with relatively small hands. It's not clear she managed much of a major Hummel revival but at least she got to perform and record some - the Rondo brillant which was played she would rate as his best composition.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
        Thanks for posting this and glad you appreciated it. Christine is my aunt, so I'll circulate the link. She doesn't get onto the radio very often. For information, she is (or at least was) probably the UK's leading player of Hummel's piano music which nobody was playing at the time, and she discovered when looking around partly for music which can be managed with relatively small hands. It's not clear she managed much of a major Hummel revival but at least she got to perform and record some - the Rondo brillant which was played she would rate as his best composition.
        Very interesting post . The small hands thing had never occurred to me - it partly explains why Hummel crops up in grade 8 quite a bit ( like Mozart sonatas).

Comment

• Rosie55
          • Oct 2011

Your aunt Christine Croshaw is a brilliant pianist, and clearly a fine and respected teacher listening to that Radio 3 tribute. I have had countless hours of pleasure from her 2015 recording of Fauré. She is one of the few pianists to record his epic Ballade op19 in solo piano version: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ection#reviews

Originally posted by crb11 View Post

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
            Your aunt Christine Croshaw is a brilliant pianist, and clearly a fine and respected teacher listening to that Radio 3 tribute. I have had countless hours of pleasure from her 2015 recording of Fauré. She is one of the few pianists to record his epic Ballade op19 in solo piano version: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ection#reviews
            This is great to know, thanks. Will be listening to this!

Best regards to your Aunt Christine, crb11
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Apparently Petroc has Covid - so he's not introducing some Proms as planned (including FNOTP (IIRC).

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Enjoyed the waves from Penberth on the Cornish coast: I wished they had interspersed the Cornish Dances with more of them!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Enjoyed the waves from Penberth on the Cornish coast: I wished they had interspersed the Cornish Dances with more of them!
                  Penberth Cove must be one of the most beautiful places in Britain.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Martin Handley presenting Breakfast today!

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

That made a huge difference to my Saturday morning. All very classified, and flowing naturally between TTN and Record Review.

No bad tempered switching off the radio, and searching for something ameliorating on the laptop.

Comment

• seabright
                        • Jan 2013

Martin Handley presenting Breakfast today!
                        I thought it was Sunday until disabused by a friend who happened to phone.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                          I thought it was Sunday until disabused by a friend who happened to phone.
                          Yes it briefly panicked me as I am due to work on Sunday and thought I had come completely adrift and was meant to be somewhere else. After a mostly sleepless night I had dozed off at 7 and came down at 8-30 so brain wasn't fully functional anyway. The reality was a pleasant surprise.

Comment

• muzzer
                            • Nov 2013

Yes indeed, which meant some Francoise Hardy, a fine start to the day.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                              Yes indeed, which meant some Francoise Hardy, a fine start to the day.
                              Until, out of curiosity, I checked her out on Wiki, to find she is now 78 and in poor health.

Comment

• muzzer
                                • Nov 2013

Until, out of curiosity, I checked her out on Wiki, to find she is now 78 and in poor health.
                                Yes, and has been for some time, which is immensely sad. She’s made so many fine records, many in the past 20 years, and is imho a far greater talent than often given credit for.

Comment

Working...
                                X