X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I rather like the idea of a Richard Wagner Loyalty Card.
    …or even a Key Ring!

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      If that was promoting Friday's concert, it may well be heard once or twice again. But a trail immediately before a concert of Stenhammar and Saint‐Saëns is not likely to be targeting an audience who might be "introduced to Bruckner" through a brief snippet of 'incidental music'.

On reflection, I don't think cross-promotion in itself is the problem. It's Radio 3's one-size-fits-all, unoriginal way of doing it. (It's what we do)
      I thought it was a bit insensitive to broadcast the hammer blows of the scherzo of Bruckner 9 just before the evening concert - it was even broadcast the very minute the concert was supposed to start, delaying the beginning of the programme by about a minute.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Bite size Bruckner...
        For the advanced listener there could be the jigsaw version with a prize for the person who submits the dates and times in the correct order to assemble a complete symphony - that could keep listener figures up for several months?
        That would be taking listener engagement beyond the BBC's wildest dreams!

On a more serious note, if a clip must be included it might be more interesting and relevant to use one from a rehearsal for the actual concert. Sunday for the following Friday might be a bit early, but later in the week might be manageable.

Comment

• Historian
          • Aug 2012

I believe most rehearsals are either on the day or the day before a concert. Hence not really possible to use them until very near the event concerned, if at all.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            I rather like the idea of a Richard Wagner Loyalty Card.
            Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            …or even a Key Ring!
            How about a branded "Fasolt and Fafner General Contractors" baseball hat ....... ("fees negotiable"...)

(Image from the lamented Intermezzo blog site - other Ring themed items on the Seattle Opera site linked to).

I think the ROH shop missed a trick last time round with a Ring cycle......

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
              How about a branded "Fasolt and Fafner General Contractors" baseball hat ....... ("fees negotiable"...)

(Image from the lamented Intermezzo blog site - other Ring themed items on the Seattle Opera site linked to).

Eco-conscious Ride of the Valkyries?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

They would never pedal that!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  Absolutely right. The prejudice against trails - a perfectly respectable , if occasionally irritating , broadcast technique is becoming absurd. Trails have been around for a long time and they have been proved to be effective in securing an audience. You can bet that the musicians performing the piece will be keen on it being advertised.
                  I agree …. back in the day, just after I joined this association, in response to what I thought were inaccurate claims re the total number and length of trailers in Breakfast I analysed a week’s programmes and found that the number and total elapsed time was much less than anyone seemed to think. I feel the position is little, if any, different now …..

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    I agree …. back in the day, just after I joined this association, in response to what I thought were inaccurate claims re the total number and length of trailers in Breakfast I analysed a week’s programmes and found that the number and total elapsed time was much less than anyone seemed to think. I feel the position is little, if any, different now …..
                    Yes I’m a very heavy R3 listener and I reckon I heard the trail 6 times last week. They reckon for an ad to have an impact it needs to be seen about 10 times. It’s different for trail’s because the assumption is it’s more about tipping people off about something they are likely to be interested in rather than establishing/ defending a brand.
                    FWIW I did Hear the concert . Although the Bruckner had its moments the performance never acquired that Brucknerian mojo which is not about about speed but more about pulse , phasing and gradation. One reason he is so hard to conduct. The horns had a few difficult moments - tbh it sounded a bit under rehearsed.Nice string playing in the first movement.
                    Stephen Hough played Rach Pag superbly - really good. And a rarely heard beautifully played Paderewski Nocturne as an encore….

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                      Yes I’m a very heavy R3 listener and I reckon I heard the trail 6 times last week. They reckon for an ad to have an impact it needs to be seen about 10 times. It’s different for trail’s because the assumption is it’s more about tipping people off about something they are likely to be interested in
                      It would be a matter of (mild) interest to know whether those who are unbothered by trails are more or less likely to listen to a programme for which they'd heard a trail several times.

But the defenders of trails don't give an answer as to why if it's genuinely 'more about tipping people off about something they are likely to be interested in' they don't just give out the information. Why the necessity to market the programmes with repetitive, identical trails, which suggests it's 'more about getting that to penetrate their skulls'.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        It would be a matter of (mild) interest to know whether those who are unbothered by trails are more or less likely to listen to a programme for which they'd heard a trail several times.

But the defenders of trails don't give an answer as to why if it's genuinely 'more about tipping people off about something they are likely to be interested in' they don't just give out the information. Why the necessity to market the programmes with repetitive, identical trails, which suggests it's 'more about getting that to penetrate their skulls'.
                        Personally the more I hear the trailer the more likely I am to listen or to remember to listen. Having not been as involved hereabouts recently I may well have missed the excellent Mark Padmore series and possibly even the RVW COTW extravaganza …… but, as always, that’s just me …..

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Personally the more I hear the trailer the more likely I am to listen or to remember to listen. Having not been as involved hereabouts recently I may well have missed the excellent Mark Padmore series and possibly even the RVW COTW extravaganza …… but, as always, that’s just me …..
                          Whereas I'm the opposite! Even if it is about something I am/might be interested in there is something about the relentless prodding that seems to induce amnesia and more often than not I will forget to listen. Making a note in the local rag's listings supplement and ignoring/muting the ads works better. For TV programmes it tends to be a case of if the ads are seen too often then I reckon I've probably seen all the best bits of the programme (a form of precis) and there's no need to see the whole thing. Now that I don't watch much, so the exposure is much reduced, that is less likely to happen - which still doesn't exactly count as success for ads!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Just caught up with the 8 May programme: HURRAH for Martin H having a good go at the moron who wrecked the end of the LPO’s Lied von der Erde performance which he had presented.

His comments are from 1 hour 50 minutes here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0016zb7

Hope the individual heard it and was suitably ashamed
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• James Wonnacott
                              • Nov 2010

Listening to breakfast 8am Saturday 4th June. I can't understand a word this woman is saying but for the odd "now" or "so". She gabbles. Probably doesn't matter really, I doubt that any of it is interesting.
                              I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by James Wonnacott View Post
                                Listening to breakfast 8am Saturday 4th June. I can't understand a word this woman is saying but for the odd "now" or "so". She gabbles. Probably doesn't matter really, I doubt that any of it is interesting.
                                If by ‘this woman’ you mean Elizabeth Alker, I’m a little concerned about your hearing. I can always hear every word she says, and I’m no spring chicken.

Comment

Working...
                                X